Gibson Brands Forums

Dodge Brothers / Henry Ford

Murph

My 1st car was an Austin Minivan.   Damn good except for the door sills which always rotted.  In those days 3 people would jump in the back and I'd drive to some concert in London.  The van was always full of smoke but not from anything mechanical.[wink]  Smaller and a lot more spartan than those BMW things today.  998cc sideways engine, manual. 

For years my rule for buying a car was can I sleep in it?  I even had BMWs - I had a 2002 Touring, then a LH drive 1802 touring, and slept in both.  I am in England and driving the LH 1802 was like being in the Battle of Britain on the wrong side sometimes. ](*,) The best car I ever had to sleep in was a Renault.

The nice thing about the 2002 was that beautiful accelerating feeling when the back goes down and things start happening fast.

21 hours ago, Larsongs said:

After I got out of the Service.. Over the next few years, I got a Yellow 60's Volvo fastback, a 60's MG & 2 60's VW Beatles... The Volvo & the MG were nothing but trouble & were always broke down.. Gave up on them..

The VW's were great! I even changed an engine in an afternoon with one of my buddies.. I bought a Rebuilt engine & traded my old Engine & $200.00.. I got some Chrome Porshe Wheels & sold it for more than I paid for it..

Then I got a 77 Toyota Celica GT Liftback.. Great Car but I sold & got a 79 Camaro.. I was back where I belonged.. Eventually gave it to my daughter when she turned 16.. Then I got a Red RS Camaro Convertible.. Cool American V-8 Cars..

Heh.....

An old friend of mine in high school had an old Volvo.  He, with twisted mind, went to a junk dealer he knew and got a "u" from an old Buick and an "A" from an old  Pontiac and changed his Volvo  into a Vulva.  [wink] But it was a cool car despite being ugly as Hell.

Whitefang

• Sad 1

Just now, Whitefang said:

Heh.....

An old friend of mine in high school had an old Volvo.  He, with twisted mind, went to a junk dealer he knew and got a "u" from an old Buick and an "A" from an old  Pontiac and changed his Volvo  into a Vulva.  [wink] But it was a cool car despite being ugly as Hell.

Whitefang

My brother had an old GMC Suburban he bought from a school district....was painted School Bus Yellow..... he called it the Chowchilla Express!

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

My brother had an old GMC Suburban he bought from a school district....was painted School Bus Yellow..... he called it the Chowchilla Express!

I lived with some Family friends for part of my Junior year in High School. I got to drive a 1956 Pontiac Safari Wagon for dates.. They were Pontiac’s version of a Chevy Nomad.. That worked pretty well..

Edited by Larsongs

6 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I lived with some Family friends for part of my Junior year in High School. I got to drive a 1956 Pontiac Safari Wagon for dates.. They were Pontiac’s version of a Chevy Nomad.. That worked pretty well..

Bet you wish you had the Safari Wagon now.....(but NOT for the reason you liked it back then!).

My wife has a 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness. It's great for going off road, down to our cabin, and such. Handles great in the hills of Arkansas, good ground clearance, AWD and came factory with a cd player.

It's not quick though. Not a bit...

mDpgfFT.jpg

• Thanks 1

I first heard of Subaru from a buddy of mine who was stationed in Okinawa  when he was in the Marines in '68.  Said they were all over the roads there.   That was the year they opened their first distributorship here in the states.  

I know only a few who have or have had one and none were disappointed.

Whitefang

This is my previous Truck.. 2018 Silverado LT Crew Cab.. I loved that Truck but the Black was too much work.. I traded for a 2022.. Same Model & a little more Equipment including Apple Car Play but chose Silver.. I like this Truck even more. I haven’t got around to taking pics yet as I lost my camera but I will soon.. 

IMG_0218.jpeg

IMG_0202.jpeg

IMG_0225.jpeg

Edited by Larsongs

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

This is my previous Truck.. 2018 Silverado LT Crew Cab.. I loved that Truck but the Black was too much work.. I traded for a 2022.. Same Model & a little more Equipment including Apple Car Play but chose Silver.. I like this Truck even more. I haven’t got around to taking pics yet as I lost my camera but I will soon.. 

IMG_0218.jpeg

IMG_0202.jpeg

IMG_0225.jpeg

Sweet!

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I first heard of Subaru from a buddy of mine who was stationed in Okinawa  when he was in the Marines in '68.  Said they were all over the roads there.   That was the year they opened their first distributorship here in the states.  

I know only a few who have or have had one and none were disappointed.

Whitefang

I haven't even THOUGH about a Subaru in years!

I found the song "Pink Cadillac" in an old chart file on my computer.   Not a song I ever did on my own, but I had to learn it for a concert I was doing, (2007).

It has a line about his love being bigger than Subaru....and here you and Murph talking about one!

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Not bad Rob.  But you could have eased back on the tempo a smidge.   And an acoustic treatment with that beauty of a Dove of yours might work too.  [wink]  Just sayin'--------

Whitefang

WF....I  play EVERYTHING too fast!   I think it's caused by my years of Rock 'n Roll pared with the fact that I have no drummer....and I'm too old to change.

And thanks.... wasn't a song I even thought about until about a week ago.

• Like 1

With your years of experience I'd think a drummer wouldn't be necessary.  Or you could try a blinking metronome out of sight of the camera?  Anyway, there's different things to try.  THIS guy never really needs a drummer.  [wink]

Whitefang

44 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

With your years of experience I'd think a drummer wouldn't be necessary.  Or you could try a blinking metronome out of sight of the camera?  Anyway, there's different things to try.  THIS guy never really needs a drummer.  [wink]

Whitefang

Believe me....I've tried many tricks..... I do use a metronome at times when I tend to get out of control....but a live drummer, or when I'm playing with others, I have no problem.....it's just when I play all alone....which is what I do 95% of the time.

54 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Guy is great..... his hands are perfect for the guitar or piano....but they look like they've been rode hard and put away wet!

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I haven't even THOUGHT about a Subaru in years!

They are kinda cool. Horizontally opposed "boxer" engines, asymmetrical all-wheel drive, they all have really good ground clearance for getting off the grid, great track record for dependability and such.

It's our first one, but we don't like the dealership, so if I don't find a dealerI like within a decent drive, we'll swap it back for another Jeep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

They are kinda cool. Horizontally opposed "boxer" engines, asymmetrical all-wheel drive, they all have really good ground clearance for getting off the grid, great track record for dependability and such.

It's our first one, but we don't like the dealership, so if I don't find a dealerI like within a decent drive, we'll swap it back for another Jeep.

My wife drives an "All Wheel Drive" Honda CR-V, (Hondas are also mentioned in "Pink Cadillac!).  I had to get rid of her 450-SL because she said the trunk was too small for grocery shopping, and she NEVER took the top off because it would mess up her hair!   Anyway....she LOVES her Honda.....it's one of the few automatics you can "dingy-tow" behind a motor home, and it's VERY quick. I have to admit, it is a great car.   Since she never commuted in it, it's a 2004 and has only 70K miles on it, (figures out to be 3700 miles per year...the miles don't register when towing).

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Guy is great..... his hands are perfect for the guitar or piano....but they look like they've been rode hard and put away wet!

Chris has been around for quite a while.  But I only got hip to him about 28 years ago.  But I was really pointing out that there are ways for you to keep good time without relying on a drummer.  The foot stomp thing Chris does goes way back in the blues/folk  music genres.  Quite possibly to the 18th century or further.  I'm quite surprised to get the impression that after as long as you've presumptively been  playing music you haven't gotten the habit of tapping your foot or the heel of your foot rhythmically  or developed an "inner" foot tap. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

Just now, Whitefang said:

Chris has been around for quite a while.  But I only got hip to him about 28 years ago.  But I was really pointing out that there are ways for you to keep good time without relying on a drummer.  The foot stomp thing Chris does goes way back in the blues/folk  music genres.  Quite possibly to the 18th century or further.  I'm quite surprised to get the impression that after as long as you've presumptively been  playing music you haven't gotten the habit of tapping your foot or the heel of your foot rhythmically  or developed an "inner" foot tap. 

Whitefang

WF.... I can't imagine any musician NOT tapping their foot!   Trouble is...my foot taps tend to speed up during a song.

I am actually a rhythm player....and very comfortable playing chords following a lead player or singer...I'm NOT a lead player...and when I play a song intro or an instrumental break, I'm so focused on doing that, my timing speeds up.....along with my foot tapping.

I do work with a metronome as I practice...and it helps....but I still tend to play faster...and I also tend to play 'harder', (if you know what I mean).

As I said, I'm too old....I'm not planning on doing anything public..... I post/save videos and charts for my grandkids so they'll have a "backbone" for any of the 500+ songs I'm leaving.  I'm hoping at least one of them will take up music.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I do work with a metronome as I practice...and it helps....but I still tend to play faster..

Interesting thing about speed....

Alto sax player Paul Desmond,  in a Downbeat interview, mentioned that he practiced for a certain amount of time each day.  Or tried to as he noticed that after a while he'd start to play "too fast".  What got me was that it seemed speed was what most musicians tried to obtain through practice.  Most listeners too, it seems, are more dazzled by a musician's(be it sax, piano, guitar, whatever) speed. Take Malmsteen for example.  Or too, EVH.  Guys are just mesmerized by their speed.   But to me, it's speed without purpose or direction.  Just wanking.   McLaughlin, DeMeola and Metheny play with a lot of speed too.  But somehow it seems more disciplined .   

And good luck with the grandkids.  I'm sure one(maybe two) will take up music because, "Grandpa used to."  especially if you're helping them get started.  [wink]

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And good luck with the grandkids.  I'm sure one(maybe two) will take up music because, "Grandpa used to."  especially if you're helping them get started.  [wink]

Whitefang

Thanks, old friend.    I've leaving them all my instruments.... 6 acoustic guitars, 4 electric guitars, 1 bass guitar, 1 mandolin, 1 violin, 1 keyboard, 7 amps, 2 pianos, drums, and a multitude of accessories.    I'm hoping eventually one, two or all three will want to 'take them for a spin'!    I'll work with them all I can once they show some kind of interest....right now they're all just too young!

• Like 1