Gibson Brands Forums

Faded Series

Joe M

2 minutes ago, olie said:

"Pre-washed"? How about pre-ripped, torn and otherwise- made to look like they were put through a tornado just before they were bought.

People are strange.

I was trying to be gentle. There’s also a big market in “distressed” gimme caps that cost big bucks. I’m proud to say all my ball caps are frayed from honest wear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

I’m betting some of the folks trashing relic’d guitars have probably bought pre-washed jeans….

It would be hard not to. 90% of all denim sold is prewashed to some degree, in order to soften it, remove some of the pigment to change the shade,  or fade it or make it look broken in in some way. It also keeps the pigment from rubbing off on other clothing or furniture. It's been this way sine the '70s. Less than 10% of denim sold is "raw" or unwashed, though it's making a bit of a comeback. Perversely, you usually pay far more to buy denim in this state, often because its made with higher quality selvedge denim produced on rare and often old shuttle looms, and sewn by hand to some degree.

Red 333

Edited by Red 333
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Red 333 said:

It would be hard not to. 90% of all denim sold is prewashed to some degree, in order to soften it, remove some of the pigment to change the shade,  or fade it or make it look broken in in some way. It also keeps the pigment from rubbing off on other clothing or furniture. It's been this way sine the '70s. Less than 10% of denim sold is "raw" or unwashed, though it's making a bit of a comeback. Perversely, you usually pay far more to buy denim in this state, often because its made with higher quality selvedge denim produced on rare and often old shuttle looms, and sewn by hand to some degree.

Red 333

I had no idea. I just know I wear mine until they fall apart. My wife lives in fear they’ll fall apart while we’re out eating, or while I’m on stage.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Red 333 said:

Perversely, you usually pay far more to buy denim in this state, often because its made with higher quality selvedge denim produced on rare and often old shuttle looms, and sewn by hand to some degree.

I remember the "big bell" Levis we used to get in the 70's. They were stiff and you had to wash them with other jeans. 

Made In U.S.A.

I doubt they make any jeans in America now,

I buy Carhartt now, but they're imported as well.

3 hours ago, Murph said:

I remember the "big bell" Levis we used to get in the 70's. They were stiff and you had to wash them with other jeans. 

Made In U.S.A.

I doubt they make any jeans in America now,

I buy Carhartt now, but they're imported as well.

Actually, there over 50 (mostly small) companies that make jeans in the US. The denim cloth itself is often  manufactured someplace else, with Japan usually providing the raw and selvedge varieties that are closest to pre-'70s US denim. This is the stiff, rugged denim you remember from your childhood (though  you don't have to soak in the tub to shrink it before wearing--it's mostly pre-shrunk these days).

Some of these small manufactures also are able to source deadstock US made denim and make limited runs of jeans with that for a truly all US made product (this is denim left over when the US mills shut down over time. There wasn't enough of it for the big manufactures to want, so it sat in warehouses until these small companies started buying it up to sell at a premium.  This old deadstock denim is getting scarce now, though).

The good news is there are also some companies still manufacturing denim in the US, but mostly on a small scale as compared to the big overseas manufactures, so it's not cheap. On a larger scale, Vidalia Mills in Louisiana just recently began making denim using the old shuttle looms bought and shipped from the Cone Oaks plant in Greensboro, NC after it closed in 2017 . Cone Oaks was the source of Levi's denim since the early 1900s.

Jeans sewn by hand (often) in the US and sewn from US-made denim are pretty pricey. Usually $100 to $600 a pair. Same goes for those made with high quality Japanese or Italian denim.  But companies like Texas Denim or Roundhouse jeans offers US made/US denim workwear jeans for about $60. That's still twice as much as the $30 Levi's you can get at Kohl's or Amazon,  but it's nice to put some $ back into our communities when we can, I think. 

Red 333

Edited by Red 333
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Joe M for the hijack, again but it is too much to watch....jeans....

The last refuge for real jeans here was by the people that made the full leather boots I use to klopp around in when playing in bands - they had reg fit 15 oz denim indigo shade (absolutely non faded or stone washed or stretched)  jeans similar to the early 60s? Levis. Also had same jeans in dark black.

Ages back, I bought one pair of each AND one of their raincoats - could be accused of looking like a stockman in....town.....😁

Only, only gripe with all of it - all very heavy! The national Steel of the jeans and coat world! (Had to buy some suspenders to keep them up, belts not enough!) But they still look ....new! Will outlive the Apocalypse and Keef!

I just googled their latest prices - phew - $599 for the boots, $249 for the jeans and $499 for the raincoat!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

15 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Roundhouse jeans offers US made/US denim workwear jeans for about $60. 

I'm ordering a pair today to check them out. I had no idea.

You are quite knowledgeable about the subject. Were you in the biz?

The one that got away - I had a pair of black Levis  Mrs.40 made me donate to Salvation Army.  They were indestructible, comfortable  -bought them 30 years ago... Closest thing I can find now are the standard Wranglers.  Double the weight of the the Levis they make now, in Mexico I believe.   I read somewhere to wash jeans less frequently and turn them inside out - to improve comfort and wear. 

55 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

The one that got away - I had a pair of black Levis  Mrs.40 made me donate to Salvation Army.  They were indestructible, comfortable  -bought them 30 years ago... Closest thing I can find now are the standard Wranglers.  Double the weight of the the Levis they make now, in Mexico I believe.   I read somewhere to wash jeans less frequently and turn them inside out - to improve comfort and wear. 

There was probably a massive fight over those old black jeans at the Salvos! (People kicking guitars over to get them jeans! 🙂

Were the first Levis jeans made from hemp and cotton? How did they make them so thick?

BluesKing777.

7 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm ordering a pair today to check them out. I had no idea.

You are quite knowledgeable about the subject. Were you in the biz?

Not at all. It's like guitars. I'm keen to know where and how stuff is made, and what makes for a "superior" product.  And I find jean manufacturing and the history of the product very interesting.  And though I'm not at all averse to buying  anything if it's made off of our shores (hello Sony!), I do like to try to support US manufacturing when I can, especially of quintessentially American items.

I have more jeans than guitars, and I have over forty guitars, if that tells you anything. The problem is I'm very organized, so it doesn't seem like I'm a hoarder. I'm a collector, I say.  An appreciator.

No one is staging an intervention --yet.

My girlfriend just watched the series Swedish Death Cleaners and wants me to perform one, though. She's feels she won't have the energy to take on the task of finding good homes for my various hobby interests when I shuffle off this mortal coil. I told her to get on the forum and sell all the guitars to you guys! Easy-peasy.

Red 333

Edited by Red 333