Gibson Brands Forums

CD Player for new Truck?

Larsongs

15 hours ago, rct said:

Well that's different.

I only did it one time, I put a cd player in one of our Crown Vics, the 2001.  Truly, it sucked.  I should have never done it myself but there it is.  In those days anyone would put them in, not like today.  I wouldn't even know where to go to do that.

Good luck with it.  And don't worry about your music.  You know enough to get the mixes pretty dang good without the cd player.

rct

Thanks

What I thought was a new & different model turned out to be a re-packaged version of the 2 previous I’ve already tried that don’t work.

The search continues to add a CD to my Truck..

Edited by Larsongs

On 7/10/2023 at 9:54 AM, Larsongs said:

Sounding good is the goal.. Mastering Studios like world renowned mega Hit mastering facility Bernie Grundman Mastering uses unbelievable Gear for Mastering.. One Monitor can cost $100,000.00… They buy all the Best Gear. Then they reverse engineer it & build it better.. They use better than the best of the best Gear.. Then hire the best of the best Mastering People.. That’s what we’re competing against.. 

Mixing is only part of a finished Product.. Mastering is the next to the final step in the process…  The final step is, does the Master sound good on every kind of System the end user will listen on..

It needs to sound great everywhere.. Your phone, Spotify, ITunes, your Car’s CD Player, your Computer & your Turntable Sound System....

If you think just getting a good Mix in your Studio will provide that, you must have a Studio like Bernie Grundman… I don’t.. So I have to work with the next best things to get as close as possible to a competitive finished Product. Hopefully.. So, I listen on expensive Monitors, mid priced Monitors, Cheap Monitors, my Computers Speakers & CD’s in my Car.. When my Mixes sound good on all of them I usually have a good Mix that will translate great anywhere…

It works for me….

I feel for you brother, and I think I understand what you want to accomplish. 

First, regarding the CD player install for your truck: Can you just put a "Head unit" that has the functionality you desire, somewhere else in the cab and wire it up? You could leave the existing factory stereo in place if necessary, but  disconnect it's speaker wires. Sure, your going to have to run power to the new unit and figure out the speaker wire routing, but it would work. Just a thought.

Second, regarding creating a "universal" mix: Is is possible for you to generate unique mixes for each format you want to release the "album" in, thus addressing the specific tonal issues each format presents? I understand that a mix that sounds great on vinyl through a home system may not translate well to a MP3/MP4 or WAV format. I do agree that studio 93db+ monitors, with 5" woofers, in a fairly non-reflective room, tend to force unrealistic mixes with EQ issues and track levels that do not translate well to end user systems. EQ low ends (1200hz to 20hz) may get pushed in studio but produce "mud" when played through end user systems. Mids and highs tend to be under developed in studio mixes as well, resulting in more "mud". Snare levels are just as confusing. Vocal clarity and lead guitar crispness become "lost" when played through less efficient speakers, (less than 93db). Compression processes in digital formats compound these issues. The real question is, "What type of system(s) should we assess the mix through?" (and how do differing formats sound through said system, despite the mix being identical?)

If I am on track with where you are, let me know.

7 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I feel for you brother, and I think I understand what you want to accomplish. 

First, regarding the CD player install for your truck: Can you just put a "Head unit" that has the functionality you desire, somewhere else in the cab and wire it up? You could leave the existing factory stereo in place if necessary, but  disconnect it's speaker wires. Sure, your going to have to run power to the new unit and figure out the speaker wire routing, but it would work. Just a thought.

Second, regarding creating a "universal" mix: Is is possible for you to generate unique mixes for each format you want to release the "album" in, thus addressing the specific tonal issues each format presents? I understand that a mix that sounds great on vinyl through a home system may not translate well to a MP3/MP4 or WAV format. I do agree that studio 93db+ monitors, with 5" woofers, in a fairly non-reflective room, tend to force unrealistic mixes with EQ issues and track levels that do not translate well to end user systems. EQ low ends (1200hz to 20hz) may get pushed in studio but produce "mud" when played through end user systems. Mids and highs tend to be under developed in studio mixes as well, resulting in more "mud". Snare levels are just as confusing. Vocal clarity and lead guitar crispness become "lost" when played through less efficient speakers, (less than 93db). Compression processes in digital formats compound these issues. The real question is, "What type of system(s) should we assess the mix through?" (and how do differing formats sound through said system, despite the mix being identical?)

If I am on track with where you are, let me know.

The new Technology doesn’t allow you to, just wire up a Head.. That would be easy.. But, it’s not possible anymore.. The new Sound Systems are integrated part Computer Tech with the big guys.. Google, Apple, Sirius, Spotify, etc.. don’t want CD Players in Vehicles anymore as explained in previous Posts..

• 1 month later...

Update.. I decided to email myself a Stereo Mix mp3 of the Songs my Band are Recording then listen to them on Apple Play in my Truck..

Given most music today is listened to in mp3 it’s probably the best way to hear how good the Mix really sounds in the format most people listen to.. 

CD player stopped working in my 2011 Taurus last week.  Now I have to decide if I get it fixed or just use Bluetooth from Spotify on my phone.  Was the only place I listened to my CDs.   Liked having the option.  Sirius and the Radio are non-starters.   Problem is - I'm always worried when you bring a vehicle in for something to be repaired, you risk them screwing up something else. 

On 9/6/2023 at 6:45 AM, fortyearspickn said:

CD player stopped working in my 2011 Taurus last week.  Now I have to decide if I get it fixed or just use Bluetooth from Spotify on my phone.  Was the only place I listened to my CDs.   Liked having the option.  Sirius and the Radio are non-starters.   Problem is - I'm always worried when you bring a vehicle in for something to be repaired, you risk them screwing up something else. 

Watch a YouTube to see if the installation is something you can do. If so, buy one on EBay & do it yourself.. Good luck..