Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions for best Gibson Acoustic Electric under $2000.00...

Larsongs

17 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

I'd love to compare the sounds of the D-28 slope-shoulder and the regular square shoulder version, as for reasons I can't explain, I really prefer the slope shoulder shape, and wonder how and if the sounds vary based on the body shape.

RBSinTo

I played it for a few minuets and felt like I needed a tetanus shot afterwords. It was a little beat up too.

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I played it for a few minuets and felt like I needed a tetanus shot afterwords. It was a little beat up too.

Chief,

I've never heard the sound quality of a musical instrument described that way, so I don't understand your comments.

RBSinTo

14 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

I've never heard the sound quality of a musical instrument described that way, so I don't understand your comments.

RBSinTo

Its hard to judge how good a guitar sounds with what looked like stings as old as the guitar. But then again a $5 pack of strings sets GC back $5.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its hard to judge how good a guitar sounds with what looked like stings as old as the guitar. But then again a $5 pack of strings sets GC back $5.

Chief,

As they are both Martin D-28s, I have no doubt they sound very good. However what I am interested in is the difference in sound between them.

In other words, does the body shape influence the sound in two dreadnoughts each made from the same tonewoods, but shaped slightly differently?

RBSinTo

5 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I'll have my Guild D-40E by the end of the Week.. Over the Weekend I'll compare it to my Solid Top Slope Shoulder J-160E & my D-35.. I'm hoping it has it's own unique Sound.. 

I’m sure it will. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m sure it will. 

After watching some Ren Ferguson You Tubes about his objective to build Guitars in the style of the most desirable Models from the early days, be them Gibsons or Guilds,  that play like they’re 20 years old when they’re brand new, I’m impressed & hopeful that it’s true..

Edited by Larsongs

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

After watching some Ren Ferguson You Tubes about his objective to build Guitars in the style of the most desirable Models from the early days, be them Gibsons or Guilds,  that play like they’re 20 years old when they’re brand new, I’m impressed & hopeful that it’s true..

Larsongs,

Isn't that one of the reasons some manufacturers are now using wood that has been artificially aged in addition to traditional methods and even hide glues in some models?

Not exactly an original idea.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Larsongs,

Isn't that one of the reasons some manufacturers are now using wood that has been artificially aged in addition to traditional methods and even hide glues in some models?

RBSinTo

How much is there left to do with an acoustic or electric that hasn't been done?

Well there is this for when you have a gig and need to rob a liquor store on the way there.

BKahJBe.jpg

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How much is there left to do with an acoustic or electric that hasn't been done?

Well there is this for when you have a gig and need to rob a liquor store on the way there.

BKahJBe.jpg

Chief,

Keeping in mind that up here in Canada, for the most part our "right to bear arms" consists of us wear sleeveless tee shirts, 9mm inserts in guitars won't be seen anytime soon.

Best I can hope to have is a spot for a salami sandwich and maybe a dill pickle.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

4 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Larsongs,

RBSinTo

Yes, I suppose it is.. But, how much is real & how much is hype is the question.. Most new Acoustic Guitars sound new.. Like they need lots of time & playing before they sound full & rich.. Like years. I recently bought a new HD-28 that I just couldn’t bond with for that reason.. And it was more impressive than most of the new Acoustic Guitars I’ve played. It pailed next to my 48 year old D-35…

I would love a new Acoustic Guitar that sounds 20 years old.. I like the idea of building new Guitars replicating the Golden era using the old techniques & materials. Hide Glue being one of them.. Ren claims he goes back into the Woods with the Loggers selecting the right Woods that will not only look great but will sound great.. While they aren’t new ideas it seems like many Manufacturers have forgotten those Arts… Even the pricey Guitars..

I’m looking forward to seeing/hearing if this Guild lives up to the hype.. I hope it does..

Edited by Larsongs

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Where’s this new guitar?

I got it Friday.. Let it sit in the boxes overnight.. I played over the weekend.. I have mixed feelings..

It’s very well built & sounds really good.. The neck is uncomfortable to me for some reason I can’t figure out? I play just every kind of neck there is but this is kind of a ***** for me.. 

I’m not a fan of Satin finishes. Even though they did a great job it’s just not my style…

I sent an email to my Sweetwater Rep this morning.. I may upgrade to the D-40E Traditional if the neck different..

The only other Guitar I’m interested in right now is a Greatch G-6119T-62 Tennessee Rose Vintage Select. George Harrison Shea Stadium period. I may for that one instead.. 

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

It seems that it is now no longer possible to buy a New Premium Dreadnought Acoustic Electric Guitar for $2,000.00… 

You can buy a blue Miranda Lambert guitar for $4649 that she hopes will inspire young girls to play. That is so laughable. I will probably never buy a new or used guitar ever in my life. 

Martin's 15 Series are USA made and under 2k, and you can buy some Gibson's with 2 holes in them for less than 2k. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

32 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Guild ... Gretcsh...  would you like to buy a vowel?      Say an  "i" ??      

I’ve got the i’s pretty well covered.. Except for an SJ-200.. That & a D-45 are about the only Acoustics that really get me excited.. I’m thinking I should sell a couple Guitars I don’t play much & get one of those.. 

I guess I don’t need a Guitar just for the sake of getting another Guitar. Everything I’m seeing in the $2000.00 range would be a compromise.. I’ve decided I don’t want to compromise… A Guitar needs to inspire me or I probably won’t play it.. I want one that does inspire me and can’t wait to open the Case, pull it out & play the heck out of it!

I sent the Guild back today.. Just couldn’t bond with it.. It is a very nice Guitar but I didn’t like the neck.

I placed an order for a Gretsch G-6119T-62 Vintage Select Tennessee Rose Guitar.. Like George Harrison played during their 64-65 Shea Period.. Day Tripper sound.. They are back ordered so it might take a while.. It was on my list.. 

I decided the only Acoustic I want is a J-200 like George played on “Here Comes The Sun”.. I have to sell some Guitars to help pay for it.. So that will be a while but worth it..

• 2 weeks later...

I played a friends new SJ-200 yesterday.. I liked it very much.. It wasn’t brand new but a mint recent one he bought on Reverb.. It was very well built. The natural finish was excellent & showed the beautiful grain of the Woods.. Beautifully adorned, sounded & played great!

Now, for sure, I’m thinking about one of those… 

Edited by Larsongs