Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions for best Gibson Acoustic Electric under $2000.00...

Larsongs

New or used?  New your only choices are in the G Series with the extra hole. There is one new model at $2199, and you can probably talk a store to sell you one for south of 2k. Not sure if any of those come with electronics.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

50 minutes ago, Murph said:

I think my J-15 was like 1399 brand new.

Those were the days...

My used one was $950. The TRC said 2014 on it. But I think the new ones at the time were $1299. I respected that Gibson made a guitar the regular folks who wore an occasional python boot could afford. Then they went up and up and up in price. It seemed to be a model the Gibson guys loved and wanted. Then they stopped making them. I guess it doesn't pay the bills like when a HB or Dove sells.

I am assuming the OP wants a Gibson?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Got my 2020 J-50 60's Original used from Guitar Center for $1700 two years ago. That model doesn't include a pickup, but the previous owner had installed one. It's my favorite guitar now, it looked and played like new when I got it. There has been a price increase on the "original" series since then however, which may be a factor today. However a quick search for "J-45" at Guitar Center found a used 50's Original J-45 (with pickup) for $2129, a J-45 Standard for $1899 and two more for $1999. 

If you want to go back farther, they have three 1975 J-50 Deluxe models for prices between $1000-$1300. I got a J-50 Deluxe in 1974, it fell into bad repair but I had it fixed back in 2014 and the luthier did a terrific job. My Son in Law loved it so much, I gave it to him. There's plenty of negativity about these Norlin acoustics in this forum, I stay out of that one. Will only say that it's the loudest Gibson I've owned and my Son in Law (in his early 40's)  still loves it and claims his friends all envy him. 😀

I'm sure there are plenty of other places to find used Gibson acoustics (here in the US, at least) and that some people have a problem with Guitar Center. Can only say my experiences have all been good, have gotten three used Gibson acoustics there at good prices and their return/exchange policy minimizes the risk. For "vintage" guitars, you have 72 hours to return but much longer for ordinary "used" instruments (30 days?).

Edited by Boyd

I know I’m setting a low price a quality USA Gibson Acoustic but I just bought 2 other Guitars & that’s my budget.. That L-00 looks interesting.. I have to find a Store that has them so I can try it out..

I’ve been on Reverb looking at Used but not being able to play them is causing me to hesitate..  New ones Online can be Returned and or Exchanged with no hassle.. I don’t know about Used ones on Reverb?

I’d like something that has a different Sound than my D-35 & my J-160E… I’m not too familiar with Walnut, Maple & a lot of the Woods used for Tops, Sides & Backs… Necks & Fretboards too…

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

What is the difference between a J45 std & the J35? Materials look similar.. I’m guessing Bracing & other upgrades.. But, what are they?

Thanks

Not sure, the Gibson guys can tell you. But here is the real question, are you looking for a Hog, Maple, or RW bodied guitar. Gibson does do RW but not that much. Hog on most, of the slopes and Maple on a lot of the big old jumbo's. Some jumbos are RW, but those are probably way out of the 2k spending limit you set, even used. Then there is the odd walnut ones here and there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I know you can’t always tell from YouTubes but I’ve watched a jillion YouTube’s of Walnut, Rosewood, Maple & Mahogany Acoustics. I think the Maple & Walnut are a little too much on the bright side for me.. But, I still want to try some in real life & see.. I’m just trying to narrow down the list as there are a million different Acoustics out there!

I love the sound of my 50 year old Spruce & Rosewood D-35. I love the sound of my 23 year old Spruce & Mahogany J-160E.. Neither are going anywhere..

I’m leaning towards Mahogany or Rosewood with Spruce Top.. I do prefer Dreadnaught Style Guitars.. These seem to be the closest for new.. Even their least expensive 35 & 45’s are over the budget I’ve set! 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/J35F30AN--gibson-acoustic-30s-j-35-acoustic-electric-guitar-faded-natural

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCRS4SRWBB--gibson-acoustic-j-45-studio-rosewood-rosewood-burst

I do want to try that L-00 DaveF suggested… I’ve never owned a Parlor style Guitar…

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

You might find a used one in the 2000 neighborhood, but it would likely be closer to 2500 or 3000.

As I posted above on Tuesday, at that time Guitar Center had two used J-45 Standards for $1999 and another for $1899 (although I'm not sure if you consider that a "flagship model"). 🙂

Edited by Boyd

12 minutes ago, Boyd said:

As I posted above on Tuesday, at that time Guitar Center had two used J-45 Standards for $1999 and another for $1899 (although I'm not sure if you consider that a "flagship model"). 🙂

Thanks.. I’m going to call & inquire.. I wonder if they have the same Return & Exchange policy as they have for New Guitars? I’ll ask.. 

Used guitars should have the same policy. "Vintage" guitars have a 72 hour return policy (or at least, that was the case back in 2016 when I got my 1965 J-50). For the used guitar I bought from them two years ago, I had it shipped to my local store. Then when it arrived, we inspected it together to make sure everything was OK.

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

Used guitars should have the same policy. "Vintage" guitars have a 72 hour return policy (or at least, that was the case back in 2016 when I got my 1965 J-50). For the used guitar I bought from them two years ago, I had it shipped to my local store. Then when it arrived, we inspected it together to make sure everything was OK.

I’ll ask about having one shipped to our local GC & see.. Thanks

On 7/5/2023 at 3:25 AM, Larsongs said:

What is the difference between a J45 std & the J35? Materials look similar.. I’m guessing Bracing & other upgrades.. But, what are they?

Thanks

The main difference is the bracing. The J-35’s bracing is scalloped forward-shifted. Some people consider the J-45 to have a “warmer” sound; I’m not one of them. I’ve owned both (currently have a J-35) and I think the ‘35 is better for fingerstyle, but it has that classic Gibson “thump” when you play rhythm.

Guitars — particularly Gibsons — are idiosyncratic, though, so it is hard to generalize about sound. I prefer my J-35 to the J-45s I’ve owned, though.

I don’t think I’ve ever played a J-35? I went straight to the J-45’s.. Then a J-160E.. Bought the J-160E! Outstanding Guitar!

I like the idea of scalloped-forward shifted bracing.. I have to try some of those too..

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

I’m curious about those too.. Maybe I’ve been too sheltered or too much of a snob just playing Spruce & Mahogany or Spruce & Rosewood Gibson’s & Martin’s…

I’m also curious about Maple….

These Used J-45’s are showing on GC’s site.. Both are listed for $1995.00.. Neither are in California.. I’m calling today & see what they will do..

Thanks

Does this one look off? Or is it just the camera angle?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/J45-Standard-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-118988631.gc?rNtt=Gibson j45&index=2

This is the other..

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/J45-Standard-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-119118282.gc?rNtt=Gibson j45&index=10