Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions for best Gibson Acoustic Electric under $2000.00...

Larsongs

Just looked very quickly, they appeared to be ok, but the photos are low resolution and poorly lit. Unless they have changed, I think you will have to actually buy one of them, then choose the option to have it shipped to your local store. You can then check it out when it arrives and raise any concerns. If you aren't happy, I assume you can "return" it on the spot and have it credited to your card, but guessing you would still have to pay the shipping cost in that case. You could also return it any time within their window for used gear (30 days?) but there's always a chance they would want to deduct some money on a claim you did some damage. There's a policy about that on their site somewhere, although it's mostly aimed at new instruments where you could scratch the pickguard, etc.

Let us know what they say. I'd be surprised if they would ship the guitar to your store with no money down and just hope you'd buy it. Would also be surprised if they didn't charge you for shipping if you return it.

I would definitely want to negotiate a deal based on price & condition.. I want them to give a full description over the Phone.. If the price is right & it's as described, great! But, I'm not willing to pay for anything if it isn't as described.. That may be a deal killer.. We'll see.

Thanks Boyd for the info..

• 2 weeks later...

Why not go with a J-35 Faded for 2199 at G-Center. A hair over your budget but I think has mahogany you are looking for and you get a lifetime warranty....plus maybe u can use one of those "coupons" you mention in another post to bring it into your budget....

Edited by afishynado

I passed on both used Guitars..

I used the MF 20% off coupon & Ordered a Guild D-40E.. It’s a new USA built Model.. Spruce Top, Mahogany Back & Sides. It has L.R. Baggs Electronics.. See more in the link below.. Total was under $2000.00 including Tax & Free Shipping.. The only nit is they are sold out & it won’t be in until the end of August…

Sweetwater will match 20% off without a coupon.. They have one in Sunburst which would cost $100.00 more due to their higher price.. It is in Stock just not sure I want Sunburst.. 

The Martin D-16E & the Gibson Hummingbird Studio (Walnut) were my next choices.. Both Guitars have aprox 3/4” more narrow Bodies. I don’t know how much difference that makes in sound? The Martin has Satin finish & Electronics under $2000.00 total.. The Hummingbird has Electronics & is a great looking Guitar.. Total more than I want to spend & is about $2300.00… Very tempting..  I can get 20% off all of them..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GD40EAB--guild-d-40e-antique-burst

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D16ERW--martin-d-16e-rosewood-natural

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumBirdStWN--gibson-acoustic-hummingbird-studio-walnut-acoustic-electric-guitar-natural

Edited by Larsongs

1 hour ago, Murph said:

You realize you can also "Make An Offer" at Sweetwater, Musicians Friend and these places.also.....

Not just the Mom and Pop stores.

:-k

I did & they will discount 20% on my purchase.. I’ve been a long time Customer.. I may go with their Sunburst Guild D-40E as I don’t really want to wait til the end of August.. 

I’m still curious about the Gibson Hummingbird Studio.. I don’t recall ever playing one.. The only things holding me back are 3/4” slimmer Body, Spruce Top with Walnut Back & Sides & it’s a little more than the $2000.00 budget I set..

If I go over budget I might as well get a J45 Std or a D-28.. Which probably makes more sense.. 

On 7/24/2023 at 6:42 AM, Murph said:

I've not played any of the modern "studio" versions, just traditional bodies.

I think Sal might have owned one/some. ?

I’m still relatively a Newbie around here.. Who is Sal? 

7 hours ago, rbpicker said:

Good choice on the Guild.  They’re big guitars, but I love the tone and playability.  I have the D20 and it is so sweet sounding.

roger

Are they bigger than my J-160E or my D-35?

I had a Waverly built Guild JF-30. That thing could stop a charging Rhino in its track if smacked in the horn. Built like a tank. Heavy has hell. Maple neck, back and sides. I didn't dig the maple tone. I like Hog and RW. It played great and had killer action.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I’m only interested in USA built Acoustic Electric Guitars.. The USA Guild D-40E list is $1999.00. 20% off at $1599.00 + Tax seems to be the best deal..

A comparable Gibson J-45 Std is $2999.00.. 20% off is $2399.00 + Tax.. A Martin D-28 Std is $3199.00 w/o Electronics. 20% off is $2599.00 + Tax + the cost of adding Electronics.. (Which is much less than a Martin D-28E???)

All 3 are really great Guitars…

I’m really having a tough time deciding? Price isn’t everything.. The Guitar is though.. I have a Gibson J-160E & a Martin D-35E.. The Guild seems like the logical choice… But, is it?

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I’m only interested in USA built Acoustic Electric Guitars.. The USA Guild D-40E list is $1999.00. 20% off at $1599.00 + Tax seems to be the best deal..

A comparable Gibson J-45 Std is $2999.00.. 20% off is $2399.00 + Tax.. A Martin D-28 Std is $3199.00 w/o Electronics. 20% off is $2599.00 + Tax + the cost of adding Electronics.. (Which is much less than a Martin D-28E???)

All 3 are really great Guitars…

I’m really having a tough time deciding? Price isn’t everything.. The Guitar is though.. I have a Gibson J-160E & a Martin D-35E.. The Guild seems like the logical choice… But, is it?

Get on the Let's Talk Guild forum and guess what your answer would be?

You have a D-35, not that a D-28 is a step down, but the main difference between the two are the bracing thicknesses. 28 has 5/8ths and 35 has 1/4. Yes the 35 has the 3 piece back, and neck binding, but do those contribute to tone? Seems the 35 top should vibrate more with thinner bracing. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

50 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Get on the Let's Talk Guild forum and guess what your answer would be?

You have a D-35, not that a D-28 is a step down, but the main difference between the two are the bracing thicknesses. 28 has 5/8ths and 35 has 1/4. Yes the 35 has the 3 piece back, and neck binding, but do those contribute to tone? Seems the 35 top should vibrate more with thinner bracing. 

I’ve played many J-45’s & they’re great. Their sound is like my J-160E but not as big.. I’ve played many D-28’s & they sound like a D-35 but their Sound is not as BIG. I haven’t played a recent USA Guild but everyone seems to think they’re great!

3 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve played many J-45’s & they’re great. Their sound is like my J-160E but not as big.. I’ve played many D-28’s & they sound like a D-35 but their Sound is not as BIG. I haven’t played a recent USA Guild but everyone seems to think they’re great!

The Guild I had was an '81 I think. Haven't seen a new USA one in ages. The foreign ones I have, and they look and sound cheap.

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Congrats.

What happened to try before you buy?

There aren’t any.. They’re sold out everywhere & on back order.. My Rep at Sweetwater got a couple & I bought one.. They sold out. 45 Day Return if it’s not to my liking.. I’ve bought from them for years & they take xlnt care of me..

14 hours ago, afishynado said:

Did you get 20% off like you've been telling us? If so, can we call Sweetwater and drop your name and get a sweet deal too???

Yes.. I did… I’ve bought a lot of Gear from them & MF.. They matched the 20% Off Coupon I got from Musiciansfriend… I had to provide the Coded Coupon number which can only be used once..

I almost always can negotiate 18-20% Off Guitars & Amps or I don’t buy… There’s always an exception..  They are getting 3 of the Ltd Edition 70th Anniv. D-55E’s & I would love to have one.. But, they aren’t discounting them.. 

Went to GC today. 3 or 4 overseas Guild’s. 0 Gibson’s, a few Mex Martin’s, one D-28, and older slot head D-28 slope shoulder for 4k with k-rap strings on it. A few Taylor’s as well, and lots of $250 guitars. 

Where are USA made Guild’s produced these days?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Went to GC today. 3 or 4 overseas Guild’s. 0 Gibson’s, a few Mex Martin’s, one D-28, and older slot head D-28 slope shoulder for 4k with k-rap strings on it. A few Taylor’s as well, and lots of $250 guitars. 

Oxnard, Ca..

Mine will look like this Sunburst one, except it’s the D-40E with L.R. Baggs Electronics… 

Most GC’s are a waste of time except for Entry level, some Mid level & sparse Pro level Guitar.. And way overpriced Vintage Guitars..

Edited by Larsongs

On 7/29/2023 at 6:53 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Chief,

I'd love to compare the sounds of the D-28 slope-shoulder and the regular square shoulder version, as for reasons I can't explain, I really prefer the slope shoulder shape, and wonder how and if the sounds vary based on the body shape.

RBSinTo