Gibson Brands Forums

Activision thread locked?

Gibson CS

I don't really see why Gibson would be opposed to Guitar Hero using their guitars as the game's controller. Think of how many people play that game...non musicians who from now on will associate the Gibson Explorers & Les Pauls as THE guitars for rock and roll. Even if they don't see any $$ from Activision, it still benefits Gibson in the long run.

I don't really see why Gibson would be opposed to Guitar Hero using their guitars as the game's controller. Think of how many people play that game...non musicians who from now on will associate the Gibson Explorers & Les Pauls as THE guitars for rock and roll. Even if they don't see any $$ from Activision' date=' it still benefits Gibson in the long run.[/quote']

That's true. I know some people who have gh but they don't know anything about regular guitars and they were talking about gibson.

I don't really see why Gibson would be opposed to Guitar Hero using their guitars as the game's controller. Think of how many people play that game...non musicians who from now on will associate the Gibson Explorers & Les Pauls as THE guitars for rock and roll. Even if they don't see any $$ from Activision' date=' it still benefits Gibson in the long run.[/quote']

That is not even what this lawsuit is about. It has nothing to do with the controllers, it's the technology that allegedly belongs to Gibson, being used for the game itself..

'Guitar Hero' Subject of Patent Dispute

By ALEX VEIGA

AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Video game publisher Activision Inc. has asked a federal court to declare that its popular "Guitar Hero" game does not violate a patent held by real-guitar maker Gibson Guitar Corp.

Gibson's 1999 patent covers a virtual-reality device that included a headset with speakers and that simulated participating in a concert, according to a complaint filed on Tuesday by Santa Monica, Calif.-based Activision in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

Gibson is trying to get Activision to stop selling "Guitar Hero" until it gets a license under the patent, according to the complaint. But Activision says it doesn't want or need a license under the patent.

"We disagree with the applicability of their patent and would like a legal determination on this," George Rose, Activision's general counsel, said in a statement Wednesday.

No one answered an after-hours call to Nashville, Tenn.-based Gibson.

The dispute arose in January, when Gibson attorneys sent Activision a letter accusing it of violating a patent titled "System and Method for Generating and Controlling a Simulated Musical Concert Experience," according to the complaint.

A copy of the patent included in the lawsuit and dated Nov. 23, 1999, describes a device that lets a user "simulate participation in a concert by playing musical instrument and wearing a head-mounted 3-D display that includes stereo speakers."

The device described in the patent also includes playback of audio and video of a prerecorded concert and a separate track of audio from the user's instrument, according to the patent form.

"Guitar Hero" users play songs using a stringless, plastic guitar by following graphics displayed on a TV connected to a game console. The TV also displays animated musicians playing along.

All the versions of "Guitar Hero" have been a boon to Activision. The company reported last month a 90 percent increase in profit for the third quarter ended Dec. 31, in part due to strong sales of "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock."

Not sure how this relates to Les Pauls or real guitars for all that matter

Just my opinion but this type of thread should be not only locked but deleted...lets talk guitars...real guitars...

Actually it doesn't.

Gibson Admin. just hasn't seen fit to install an off topic area. For what it's worth it is still Gibson related.

...But I totally agree with you.

-TLSG

I agree, there should be an "off topic" area. And it is helping promote the Gibson name, although if they shut down GH sales (and presumably Rock Band since it uses the same disputed technology even though the controllers are "Fender") Neither of the games does anything about teaching how to play a real guitar and my limited experience with both it seems like they may actually mess up your ability. There was a pretty funny South Park about the whole GH thing where Stan told his dad that real guitars weren't relevant anymore!

That is not even what this lawsuit is about. It has nothing to do with the controllers' date=' it's the technology that allegedly belongs to Gibson, being used for the game itself..

[b']

'Guitar Hero' Subject of Patent Dispute[/b]

By ALEX VEIGA

AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Video game publisher Activision Inc. has asked a federal court to declare that its popular "Guitar Hero" game does not violate a patent held by real-guitar maker Gibson Guitar Corp.

Gibson's 1999 patent covers a virtual-reality device that included a headset with speakers and that simulated participating in a concert, according to a complaint filed on Tuesday by Santa Monica, Calif.-based Activision in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

Gibson is trying to get Activision to stop selling "Guitar Hero" until it gets a license under the patent, according to the complaint. But Activision says it doesn't want or need a license under the patent.

"We disagree with the applicability of their patent and would like a legal determination on this," George Rose, Activision's general counsel, said in a statement Wednesday.

No one answered an after-hours call to Nashville, Tenn.-based Gibson.

The dispute arose in January, when Gibson attorneys sent Activision a letter accusing it of violating a patent titled "System and Method for Generating and Controlling a Simulated Musical Concert Experience," according to the complaint.

A copy of the patent included in the lawsuit and dated Nov. 23, 1999, describes a device that lets a user "simulate participation in a concert by playing musical instrument and wearing a head-mounted 3-D display that includes stereo speakers."

The device described in the patent also includes playback of audio and video of a prerecorded concert and a separate track of audio from the user's instrument, according to the patent form.

"Guitar Hero" users play songs using a stringless, plastic guitar by following graphics displayed on a TV connected to a game console. The TV also displays animated musicians playing along.

All the versions of "Guitar Hero" have been a boon to Activision. The company reported last month a 90 percent increase in profit for the third quarter ended Dec. 31, in part due to strong sales of "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock."

Well EXCUSE ME for not reading the article and assuming it was about the shape of the guitar. #-o

Nope' date=' they're all locked. The one over here just doesn't say it but the reply button is gone.[/quote']

You're right. Interesting.

Well if they are against us discussing it in the Les Paul threads, I can definitly understand that.

But it does beg the question, WHERE CAN WE DISCUSS IT?

Are we supposed to go to other public forum boards where their support may not be as strong as it is here?

I will go to my grave promoting Gibson and it's guitars and products.

But I refuse to go there in a state of ignorance! Give us a place we can discuss these sort of topics.

PLEASE.

-TLSG

Well EXCUSE ME for not reading the article and assuming it was about the shape of the guitar. O:)

It's all good. Tim A. Your excused.

J/K have a great weekend. O:)

...and for flyingarmadillo, their controllers are not just Fender.

You can get some really wicked controllers styled after other guitars.

I have seen some Les Paul's, and even some SG's

Actually it doesn't.

Gibson Admin. just hasn't seen fit to install an off topic area. For what it's worth it is still Gibson related.

...But I totally agree with you.

-TLSG

I agree too! ...but since this forum is turning into "What amp should I get?" or "Which caps to buy" or the popular "Which color Les Paul should I get?" - I figured one more worthless thread would fit right in.

I agree too! ...but since this forum is turning into "What amp should I get?" or "Which caps to buy" or the popular "Which color Les Paul should I get?" - I figured one more worthless thread would fit right in.

but but but... isn't that the most important thing, the color ? Or how cool it looks with the new sneakers .

So Right.

I suppose the Admin.'s could move it to the "Gibson Family of Brands" thread, but that doesn't quite seem right either.

Archived