Gibson Brands Forums

How to get Slash sound with thinner neck?

Jontte

I have Slash November Burst Les Paul and love the sound. It is an amazing smooth distortion (tube amp) sound where you can play whole chords and it still sounds amazing! Now I am going to buy my next Gibson LP but liked to have thinner neck.

I bought Seymour Duncan Slash 2.0 and put them in LTD Eclipse, didn’t sound good enough.

Slash models pickup type is Custom Burstbucker Alnico II (not sold separately).

With thinner neck you can only have 60s Burstbuckers or Burstbucker Pro, I guess.

Any suggestions how to get Slash sound with Slimtaper neck?

Which one of the mentioned pickups are closer to Slash sound?

Does weight relief affect the sound?

Should I just stop whining and learn to love rounded neck profile?

And I can’t go to a guitar store and try myself, partly because I don’t hear the difference there and guitar stores do not have all the Gibson models I need to test.

Thanks.

18 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Mass of the neck doesn’t determine the sound, 

turning the tone knob and volume to 5

add a super distortion pedal 

take a Marshall Plexi  with 4x12, turn everything thing to 10

shoot some heroine 

you’re good to go

😆 need to try….

14 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

If you’re happy with your slash sound already, keep doing the same thing with the slim neck guitar and it should be the same

I should been more exact, actually Slash LP is quite close to 50’s standard model. I solved the by ordering LP 60s Standard model!

8 hours ago, Jontte said:

I should been more exact, actually Slash LP is quite close to 50’s standard model. I solved the by ordering LP 60s Standard model!

The 60s model has different pickups. Don't despair or change them out right away. Check out  this thread:

On 8/11/2023 at 5:34 AM, Jontte said:

Does weight relief affect the sound?

Depends who you talk to.

The players who assert 'yes' will get the same sh1tty sound they always get, but believing it to be Slash.

Those who assert 'no' get to sound like whoever they want to; Slash, Jimmy Herring, Zoot Horn Rollo, John Williams... 

It could be all in their heads or it might all be real & work like quantum mechanics where nothing understandable can be gleaned. 

No one outside of a cartel can agree. 

Yeah but its sounds like Jontte already has the Slash sound; he just wants it on a different guitar now. 

I'm sure the hat & snake were part of the case candy. 

As a strictly casual listener, the last time I heard Slash play was on an old Top Gear show. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between him and someone else who sounded like him. 

But a true fan can would know for sure.