Gibson Brands Forums

Hello, new member

KingJames78

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a 2020 Gibson Hummingbird Studio with Walnut back and sides. 

I havent received it yet but Im waiting for it from UPS.

This will be my first Gibson guitar.  Ive been playing for ten years and have only owned one six string acoustic- an entry level Alvarez.  Ive also owned a variety of Epiphone and Squier electrics.  

Needless to say I am excited to own my first Gibson!

One initial question I have is, if you look at the body picture you will see some swirls on the finish and if you look at the headstock picture, you will see many scratches.  Is there a product I can use to help repair this?

Thanks

body.jpg

headstock.jpg

Edited by KingJames78

Welcome to another side of the fence. I hope that Gibson gives you many years of enjoyment as mine has. As far as the swirls, I cannot answer that or suggest anything except, I caution you more than likely that bird has a glossy nitrocellulose finish on it. If you are not familiar with the nitrocellulose finish, I highly recommend you learn all you can about that type of finish, cause things can really go wrong with some products. As for my Hummingbird, I have only used Gibson pump polish on the finish. If the Gibson pump polish won't remove it ( like pick scratches or swirls) it stays like that. That's what I do. Others who chime in here may have some suggestions. Congratulations on owning your first Gibson.

Welcome Aboard KJ !   Congrats on a perfect 'first real guitar' !!   Most everyone starts out with a 'student level'  in case we find out we're not really interested in the uphill climb.   Yours is a  really good choice.    As far as the swirls...  wait and see.  It could just be superficial - in the polish the previous owner put on for the photo shoot and not the actual finish.   Nitrocellulose is a bit 'soft' when new.  Maybe a year ??  But it is also a bit forgiving.  I too only use the Gibson Pump Polish.  Some feel it can 'restore' very minor flaws in the nitro over time.  I did have one spot it took care of.  Others here swear by Virtuoso brand polishes.  And some Meguirs detailing auto polish to remove minor scratches and swirls.  I believe the product  which is a super-fine polishing wax,  not the kind you'd apply with a buffer and eye protection !  Many only 'clean' their  guitar with a very slightly damp micro-fibre cloth. But, some say that is also too abrasive and recommend soft flannel.    You can see almost ANY scratches on a black guitar with a high gloss finish.  Some will take a very slightly abrasive polish to tone down the shine.   Think 150 sandpaper VS  400 grit. etc.   

It might be worth leaving it as it is: Removing any of the 'protective' finish gets you closer to bare wood !   And after a short while, you won't notice it.   You don't want to keep polishing out swirls every time you see one!!    

Congrats ! 

Welcome.  I would love to know what you think about the guitar after you have circled it for a bit and figured it out.  On the other hand, having reached the point where I just cannot muster up any emotion about guitars, it is nice to live vicariously through others who remind me of the days when anything new to me was left out in a stand at night so it was the last thing I saw before going to sleep and the first upon waking.

No sure I would be sweating swirls and scratches on a guitar I had not yet even held.  But if a good buffing (I use Virtuoso cleaner and polish) does not do the trick I have heard that Meguiars Scratch X,  even though it contains a trace element of silicone, is the way to go.  While I cannot speak from experience when it comes to guitars it works wonders on cars.  There are also products such as Rennaissance Wax which museums use on old wood.  Have to go to a specialty shop which sells museum conservation products to get it though.

Congrats on the incoming Hummingbird. Is that a slimmer body depth than the Standards? Combined with that barky spruce it's top has, it should project nicely. It also looks like the nut and saddle have been upgraded to bone, horn, or ?  ? ?

Pictured in a gig bag. . . were these to have a hard case ? : https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acoustic-Guitar/ACC4YT544/Antique-Natural

On 8/11/2023 at 10:46 PM, the other side said:

Welcome to another side of the fence. I hope that Gibson gives you many years of enjoyment as mine has. As far as the swirls, I cannot answer that or suggest anything except, I caution you more than likely that bird has a glossy nitrocellulose finish on it. If you are not familiar with the nitrocellulose finish, I highly recommend you learn all you can about that type of finish, cause things can really go wrong with some products. As for my Hummingbird, I have only used Gibson pump polish on the finish. If the Gibson pump polish won't remove it ( like pick scratches or swirls) it stays like that. That's what I do. Others who chime in here may have some suggestions. Congratulations on owning your first Gibson.

Thank you!  Appreciate it

On 8/12/2023 at 10:17 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Welcome Aboard KJ !   Congrats on a perfect 'first real guitar' !!   Most everyone starts out with a 'student level'  in case we find out we're not really interested in the uphill climb.   Yours is a  really good choice.    As far as the swirls...  wait and see.  It could just be superficial - in the polish the previous owner put on for the photo shoot and not the actual finish.   Nitrocellulose is a bit 'soft' when new.  Maybe a year ??  But it is also a bit forgiving.  I too only use the Gibson Pump Polish.  Some feel it can 'restore' very minor flaws in the nitro over time.  I did have one spot it took care of.  Others here swear by Virtuoso brand polishes.  And some Meguirs detailing auto polish to remove minor scratches and swirls.  I believe the product  which is a super-fine polishing wax,  not the kind you'd apply with a buffer and eye protection !  Many only 'clean' their  guitar with a very slightly damp micro-fibre cloth. But, some say that is also too abrasive and recommend soft flannel.    You can see almost ANY scratches on a black guitar with a high gloss finish.  Some will take a very slightly abrasive polish to tone down the shine.   Think 150 sandpaper VS  400 grit. etc.   

It might be worth leaving it as it is: Removing any of the 'protective' finish gets you closer to bare wood !   And after a short while, you won't notice it.   You don't want to keep polishing out swirls every time you see one!!    

Congrats ! 

Thanks!

I got the guitar today.

Those pics must be super HD because I can't even notice much on the headstock and body, at least not with the lighting in my place.

I'm not gonna mess with it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:23 AM, zombywoof said:

Welcome.  I would love to know what you think about the guitar after you have circled it for a bit and figured it out.  On the other hand, having reached the point where I just cannot muster up any emotion about guitars, it is nice to live vicariously through others who remind me of the days when anything new to me was left out in a stand at night so it was the last thing I saw before going to sleep and the first upon waking.

No sure I would be sweating swirls and scratches on a guitar I had not yet even held.  But if a good buffing (I use Virtuoso cleaner and polish) does not do the trick I have heard that Meguiars Scratch X,  even though it contains a trace element of silicone, is the way to go.  While I cannot speak from experience when it comes to guitars it works wonders on cars.  There are also products such as Rennaissance Wax which museums use on old wood.  Have to go to a specialty shop which sells museum conservation products to get it though.

Thanks

Got it today and been playing it for a bit.

It's definitely warmer than my old Alvarez.  Less tinny sounding with new strings.  The neck is similar to alvarez so not a big deal there, was just hoping it was a baseball bat like an old les paul lol

So far so good

On 8/13/2023 at 3:01 PM, 62burst said:

Congrats on the incoming Hummingbird. Is that a slimmer body depth than the Standards? Combined with that barky spruce it's top has, it should project nicely. It also looks like the nut and saddle have been upgraded to bone, horn, or ?  ? ?

Pictured in a gig bag. . . were these to have a hard case ? : https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acoustic-Guitar/ACC4YT544/Antique-Natural

I received it today, so far i love it

Yes the nut has been replaced with a bone nut.  The original was in the original case that came with guitar.  Not sure about the saddle, I never asked him.

I was sure to ask about gig bag...the guy assured me it was coming with case. 

Couldn't tell you about the body depth vs a standard.  

So far I'm very happy with it.  Theres a couple cosmetic changes I want to make to it (change out truss rod cover and also change the tuners to vintage tulips)...but i'll get into that later.  

44 minutes ago, KingJames78 said:

Thanks

Got it today and been playing it for a bit.

It's definitely warmer than my old Alvarez.  Less tinny sounding with new strings.  The neck is similar to alvarez so not a big deal there, was just hoping it was a baseball bat like an old les paul lol

So far so good

Based on the specs I have seen tossed around for the neck of the J45 Studio I would expect a depth at the 1st fret of .860" and at the ninth of .900".  If you wanted a neck like a 1950s Lester you would be seeking out what has been called a Gibson mid-century modern neck carve meaning a round shoulder C neck with a depth at the first fret generally in the .91" to 93 range.  A lot of folks find this the most under friendly neck to ever grace a Gibson.  My 2013 Fairbanks Roy Smeck falls into this category having a depth at the 1st fret of .93' and at the 9th of 1.25". 

If you wanted a Bozeman-made guitar with a Louisville Slugger neck though you would be limited to a '34 Jumbo which sport necks which generally clock in at just under or over 1.0".  But I do get it as I own two old Gibsons with necks having a depth at the 1st fret respectively of 1.04" and 1.05".

Edited by zombywoof

2 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Based on the specs I have seen tossed around for the neck of the J45 Studio I would expect a depth at the 1st fret of .860" and at the ninth of .900".  If you wanted a neck like a 1950s Lester you would be seeking out what has been called a Gibson mid-century modern neck carve meaning a round shoulder C neck with a depth at the first fret generally in the .91" to 93 range.  A lot of folks find this the most under friendly neck to ever grace a Gibson.  My 2013 Fairbanks Roy Smeck falls into this category having a depth at the 1st fret of .93' and at the 9th of 1.25". 

If you wanted a Bozeman-made guitar with a Louisville Slugger neck though you would be limited to a '34 Jumbo which sport necks which generally clock in at just under or over 1.0".  But I do get it as I own two old Gibsons with necks having a depth at the 1st fret respectively of 1.04" and 1.05".

TYPO

That was supposed to say I was hoping it WASN'T a baseball bat neck

I'm happy with the neck 

Thank you

23 hours ago, KingJames78 said:

Yes the nut has been replaced with a bone nut.  The original was in the original case that came with guitar.  Not sure about the saddle, I never asked him.

Brain fade on my part- 'was actually wondering if the bridge pins had also been upgraded.