Gibson Brands Forums

Finger picks

guitarcop

A long time ago I used to have some plastic finger picks with the name DOBRO on the base of the pick.  The picks were unique in that they covered pretty much all of the tip of the finger with a very slight curvature on the tip.  They were clear plastic and obviously could be easily fitted to the finger with the use of very hot water.  The last time I purchased some of these picks was the late '80's and early 90's.  Are you familiar with the kind of picks and can they be currently purchased.  I have looked high and low and continue to strike out in my search.  Hope you someone can provide some insight.

I own and play a square neck, although it's a Fender and use Dunlop nickel fingerpicks. The thumb picks are plastic National and/or Dunlop branded. I also own/play a Recording King round neck, but mostly just use bare fingers for that on.

"Dobro" is a Gibson owned trademark/brand and we have a moderator here who has owned several. He is far more knowledgeable than I about the brand and may have some insight.

Welcome to the Forum.

I had a handful of those clear plastic Dobro fingerpicks  several decades ago.  Don't know where they wound up.  Some were small, some medium. Never got on with them either - didn't like the curved back angle of the pick part. AND - didn't know you could shape the finger brace part by heating it.   Now use metal finger picks (plastic for thumb). National brand. Different pick shaped for each finger.  Tweak several times to get just right.   Color code w/paint so I know whether it goes on I or M.    (Yeah, OCD).

• 9 months later...

Dobro brand picks haven’t been made in decades. Jim Dunlop carries transparent picks - the “D” series - but I find they give a softer tone. (And have a bluish tinge whereas Dobro picks are brown.)

You can occasionally find them on eBay or Reverb … but please note that the later picks tend to become brittle and snap. D#

Not sure if the OP is still following, but try a folk music store? They can carry small brand or have stocks of heritage picks.  Wife just found some reverse? Thumb picks and other picks for her resos that she really likes at Homestead Picking Parlor.  (I have not ventured into the reso world much, so I may be way off with the pick type and can make no claim to quality, etc.) 

On 9/2/2023 at 8:06 AM, Murph said:

I like the vented one.

Keeps your fingers from over heating...

Yeah, sometimes I’m picking so fast that my fingernails start to melt.  The vented ones are ideal for guys like me and Jerry Douglas.

21 hours ago, duane v said:

Here's a video of me with my j200 using fingerpicks on four of my fingers minus my pinky.... I friggin hate em.

The combination of J200 & picks rings out!

Sounds expensive. Also prudent.