Gibson Brands Forums

Relic-ing (Again), But Not The Process, Or If You Like It Or Not

Sgt. Pepper

So your in the market to step up to that super expensive relic-ed guitar (acoustic or electric your choice).

You cruise Reverb or what ever your favorite buying site is, and you decide to buy used, and hopefully save a buck or two.

So how do you know the relic-ed guitar you bought is a good, bad, decent, killer, or awful relic job?

Its not like you can say "Hey can you come down a few hundred, this guitar is a little beat up?"

Its supposed to look beat up.

Guys have come here with new guitars and nit picked every little thing wrong on the guitar.

Now the relic-ed one you want is supposed to look beat up and not new.

In 10 years is there going to be a relic grading system of how good or bad the relic-ing is on the relic used market?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Murph said:

I relic-ed my knife.

It took me over 40 years...

Wnj9kuz.jpg

Having that relic-ed handy carrying case to go along with it alone makes it worth 100 fold from the new price.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Having that relic-ed handy carrying case to go along with it alone makes it worth 100 fold from the new price.

I made that sheath after the original one wore out. I did demolition work in the early 80's in Lake Charles, La. and later did some lumberjacking for a decade or so, and was real hard on things in those days. Wore the frets off a 72' "Recording" Les Paul during those same years. I should have kept that one.

2 minutes ago, Murph said:

I made that sheath after the original one wore out. I did demolition work in the early 80's in Lake Charles, La. and later did some lumberjacking for a decade or so, and was real hard on things in those days. Wore the frets off a 72' "Recording" Les Paul during those same years. I should have kept that one.

Now I come to find out its not all  original and worth nothing. 

1 minute ago, Murph said:

It's got a lot of history. I don't carry it much anymore. Those were different times.

I do keep a few on me though...

If you need to go out in public and feel you need a knife or gun on you, I think you live in the wrong hood.  But then again there was many a time I would have lived to have a nice machete in my hands at Walmart to take care of idiots there.

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you need to go out in public and feel you need a knife or gun on you, I think you live in the wrong hood. 

I own 30 acres of woods. I've not been without a knife since I was a child. I carry a multi-tool as well. My eyebrows ain't plucked, there's a gun in my truck.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Murph said:

I own 30 acres of woods. I've not been without a knife since I was a child. I carry a multi-tool as well. My eyebrows ain't plucked, there's a gun in my truck.

You didn't even need to mention there is a gun in your truck. Of course there is. Rifle and pistol?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Murph said:

It's the ending verse in this song...

I clip my own nails. 

Where is the backlash on him? The wokies want I'm Still A, _______  (insert your pronoun in the blank) Who Happened To Be Born With An Outey Wee Wee). Thanks mom, but what I really mean is birthing parent, cause that's more PC.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you need to go out in public and feel you need a knife or gun on you, I think you live in the wrong hood.  But then again there was many a time I would have lived to have a nice machete in my hands at Walmart to take care of idiots there.

I've had a knife / pocket knife on me since I was 10. they're "handy". thats all ...

2 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I've had a knife / pocket knife on me since I was 10. they're "handy". thats all ...

I carried only when I was on ships. They are nice for when someone steps out of line and you need to make them bleed.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My 1975 Martin D-35 is naturally relic’d… It’s from real playing… Parties, Bars, Recording Sessions, & Concerts from the West Coast to the East Coast to the North & to the South..

I have learned over the years to take better care of my Instruments & most are in near new condition.. I give them more respect.. But, they all know I’m the Boss..

I don’t want no fake Guitar.. I definitely won’t buy one!

Edited by Larsongs

45 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They are nice for when someone steps out of line and you need to make them bleed.

How juvenile.

Mine are a tool. Skinning animals, gutting fish, cutting rope, whittling, building, fixing stuff.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Murph said:

How juvenile.

Mine are a tool. Skinning animals, gutting fish, cutting rope, whittling, building, fixing stuff.

I know. 

Gun, truck, knife, land. Damn your almost a stereotypical country song. I know you have to have a dog. And throw in a cute little honey in booty shorts, eh wee. 

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So your in the market to step up to that super expensive relic-ed guitar (acoustic or electric your choice).

You cruise Reverb or what ever your favorite buying site is, and you decide to buy used, and hopefully save a buck or two.

So how do you know the relic-ed guitar you bought is a good, bad, decent, killer, or awful relic job?

Its not like you can say "Hey can you come down a few hundred, this guitar is a little beat up?"

Its supposed to look beat up.

Guys have come here with new guitars and nit picked every little thing wrong on the guitar.

Now the relic-ed one you want is supposed to look beat up and not new.

In 10 years is there going to be a relic grading system of how good or bad the relic-ing is on the relic used market?

All good questions. 

Next thing you know, they'll introduce a system to keep the relic'd guitar from not deterorating further and changing the grade of relic-ing. 

It's not for me. I don't see it as an inherently good thing, buying a new guitar that's been forced into old age and marked up. But those who do, great. It doesn't upset me. 

27 minutes ago, Pinch said:

They probably sell, or they wouldn't do it. So good for them. 

Yes of course there is a market for doc's and lawyer's to have "new" old looking expensive guitars, but on the used market how do you know if your getting a decent relic or a c-rappy relic-ed one? They are supposes to look beat. Do you want a guitar with less or more of a beating?  If I try to sell a used relic-ed guitar how do you know if all the relic-ing is all original, or what was made by the the owner?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper