Gibson Brands Forums

Relic-ing (Again), But Not The Process, Or If You Like It Or Not

Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes of course there is a market for doc's and lawyer's to have "new" old looking expensive guitars, but on the used market how do you know if your getting a decent relic or a c-rappy relic-ed one? They are supposes to look beat. Do you want a guitar with less or more of a beating?  If I sell a used relic-ed guitar how do you know if all the relic-ing of original and what is make by the the owner?

I've no idea. I guess you look at pictures of the original Greeny for a good year, or something. 

I think you're right in that they mostly sell to well-off collectors. Good for them, I guess. I'm not big on collecting anything, really. I like using things I buy. It makes sense to me. 

My son's got ahigh school friend who has two murphy labs les pauls.  he can hold his own playing rythm , blues, classic rock, and he sings great.

The back story;  he has overcome amazing physical challenges from a car accident about 20/25 years ago.   Should have killed him but it didn't

Significant head trauma, to the point he had to learn how to, walk, talk and feed himself all over again.  Eventually he picked the guitar back up and made his way back.

he's back in a cover band with my son and all the guys that played together in high school

If you talk to him today you'd never even guess what happened.   It's amazing really.

So when he showed me his murphy's and I saw the look on that kids face when he handed them to me, that was money in the bank. 

I could only say "Tino, those are gorgeous"...   

They were tastefully done, I will admit that.  BUT Good lord--  There was over $20k sitting in those 2 cases.  

but hey If he's happy, and he is, that's all that matters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The history of relic guitars:

https://nitorlack.com/en/blog/the-real-history-of-relic-guitars/

By the way, I blame a friend of mine for the N.O.S Strats. When Fender Custom Shop was making relic 50's Strats, my friend wanted a Strat with those specs, but not beat up. So, he contacted the Fender Shop and ordered an "un-relic-ed relic". A short time later  the N.O.S. Strats were being produced.

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

The history of relic guitars:

https://nitorlack.com/en/blog/the-real-history-of-relic-guitars/

By the way, I blame a friend of mine for the N.O.S Strats. When Fender Custom Shop was making relic 50's Strats, my friend wanted a Strat with those specs, but not beat up. So, he contacted the Fender Shop and ordered an "un-relic-ed relic". A short time later  the N.O.S. Strats were being produced.

I think I saw something on the net that blamed Keef.

it has probably changed over time. I remember a local band I loved as a late teenager and the guitarist's Strat was beat up and he rocked it and I would think I'd love to have a guitar that was revered as a tool by its owner so much that it was played almost to death. Nowadays my main guitar looks kind of like that as it is so worn that there are dark little finger shaped trenches on the fretboard in the pattern of most played notes, the sides of the neck are worn dark and rubbed smooth by wedding ring and sweat and their is a worn stripe down the back of the neck which is smoothed by sweat (and some steel wool used long ago to remove sticky lacquer). The body is dented and lacquer worn away from forearm rubbing. I like how it looks but I play it for how it plays. 

I was in a band where other guitarist had a factory relic'd Strat which I though looked awful as it had the same basic (pretend) wear as mine, but without all the wood pores being sweat stained over the years it just looked like virgin light coloured wood showing through - that looked lame to me, especially the fingerboard wear...but... as that becomes what people think relic means then I guess some will like it?  Some of the Gibson LPs from 5-10 years ago did look much more authentically ([laugh]) worn though. 

13 hours ago, 'Scales said:

it has probably changed over time. I remember a local band I loved as a late teenager and the guitarist's Strat was beat up and he rocked it and I would think I'd love to have a guitar that was revered as a tool by its owner so much that it was played almost to death. Nowadays my main guitar looks kind of like that as it is so worn that there are dark little finger shaped trenches on the fretboard in the pattern of most played notes, the sides of the neck are worn dark and rubbed smooth by wedding ring and sweat and their is a worn stripe down the back of the neck which is smoothed by sweat (and some steel wool used long ago to remove sticky lacquer). The body is dented and lacquer worn away from forearm rubbing. I like how it looks but I play it for how it plays. 

I was in a band where other guitarist had a factory relic'd Strat which I though looked awful as it had the same basic (pretend) wear as mine, but without all the wood pores being sweat stained over the years it just looked like virgin light coloured wood showing through - that looked lame to me, especially the fingerboard wear...but... as that becomes what people think relic means then I guess some will like it?  Some of the Gibson LPs from 5-10 years ago did look much more authentically ([laugh]) worn though. 

Does anyone go into a Lambo, Porsche, or Ferrari dealer, and say I want the shinny yellow one out it the front of the lot, and can I ask a favor? I  want it relic-ed. Can you kick the left door with a steel toed boot, and drop a brick on the hood, and please scratch the entire right side with a key?

You know who does that, no one?

You know who does it with guitars? A few. And they will pay extra for it. Thank you sir, may I have another.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

A bassist friend of mine has some 60's Fender basses. So they have wear & look their age. (Before relicing was a big thing,) He had one of his refinished to look new. He said it better suited the image his band were going for. I don't know if he regrets that now. I hope not. 

I have an 80's guitar with commensurate wear. I do like the look of it. The last Gibson (1998) I bought has buckle worming, tarnished hardware and some dings. It looks fine. So I don't dislike the aged look. I just prefer the look to be 'honest'. 

I don't knock the fellows that buy relic'd, but I sometimes wonder why they just don't buy an old one.

8 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I don't knock the fellows that buy relic'd, but I sometimes wonder why they just don't buy an old one.

Some weird inverted cork-sniffery? 

Plus they don't have to hunt them down, I suppose. 

I dunno - I don't get the relic thing at all, so who knows. 

5 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Some weird inverted cork-sniffery? 

Plus they don't have to hunt them down, I suppose. 

I dunno - I don't get the relic thing at all, so who knows. 

Well I liken it to the folk that buy a new pair of faded jeans with holes in the knees. Maybe the relic faithful are just impatient people. 

Kirk Hammett did some expensive relic'ing of Greeny. After he bought it, he tipped it off a guitar stand and broke off the headstock, I think it was. I think it's in his "Icons" interview on Gibson's Youtube channel - well worth a watch, btw. You all know what I think off latterday Metallica, but regardless, it was a very insightful interview. He does seem like a very good person and a very nice guy, even more so in his older years. It was a very good interview.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Well I liken it to the folk that buy a new pair of faded jeans with holes in the knees. Maybe the relic faithful are just impatient people. 

I asked my daughter if the "relic'd" hole filled, faded jeans she bought cost less because they had less material than new ones and were obviously worn out. She laughed and said they cost far more. WHAT THE F....? "Buy new ones and I'll drag them behind my quad for a few miles and then pump a couple of #8 12ga. shot shells through them", I told her. She now enjoys busting up new jeans and selling her idiot friends signed versions of her "art" for a tidy profit. As P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."  

Now, I really have to go. I can't wait to see the "Great Egress", that all of these signs keep directing me toward.

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Just thank the lord men aren’t wearing yoga pants.

I thank the Lord I don't even know what yoga pants are. Not sure they're necessary for yoga? 

It's like with bicycling. I love it when I see some guy (it's always guys) with a super expensive bike, covered in neon clothing, a designer helmet and the fastest wraparound sunglasses ever made, doing 3 mph. I generally try not to be judgemental, so it's nice to indulge once in a while, smile and think, oh good god, if only you knew how dorky you look. 

15 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I thank the Lord I don't even know what yoga pants are. Not sure they're necessary for yoga? 

It's like with bicycling. I love it when I see some guy (it's always guys) with a super expensive bike, covered in neon clothing, a designer helmet and the fastest wraparound sunglasses ever made, doing 3 mph. I generally try not to be judgemental, so it's nice to indulge once in a while, smile and think, oh good god, if only you knew how dorky you look. 

Not sure about in Sweden but here in the US women wear tight work out pants (yoga pants) as a fashion statement. Some women pull it off and some make you want to gag seeing them in tight and I mean tight pants.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Not sure about in Sweden but here in the US women wear tight work out pants (yoga pants) as a fashion statement. Some women pull it off and some make you want to gag seeing them in tight and I mean tight pants.

Oh, the "wth makes you think you can pull that off"-pants 😄