Gibson Brands Forums

Historic Acoustics (non Murphy Lab)

Rosinante

4 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

2-a 42 J-45 and 42 Southern Jumbo.  I figured one would go, the neck on the J-45 won out.  But yeah, it gets played mostly.  Prob going to sell a 000-28 and 0-18, buy an Aged Authentic 1939 D-18 and call it a day, 2-dreds and a 00-17 is still a bit overkill, and then I see the collection above lol.

But yeah, that J- 45 is the bee’s knees.

Good to hear!  Nothing beats a good J45

21 hours ago, Rosinante said:

Good to hear!  Nothing beats a good J45

Except an AA1939 D-18 lol!  But even that, it’s different, so not really “better”, though Martin builds as opposed to Gibson builds usually receive higher marks from the general online community, and even that’s fightin’ words to some.

13 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

The reissue.  I’m a bit shy of the 14k for a vintage 42 J-45.  The Martin’s a ‘37 though.

It gets confusing the way new Guitars are talked about these days.. It sounds as if they’re true Vintage Guitars.. I would love to play a real 1937 Martin. 85 years old! What kind of shape is it in? Which model do you have.. 

I have a 48 year old Martin D-35.. It still plays great & has a fantastic Sound.. It has been a working Guitar since new.. But has aged beautifully.. 

23 hours ago, Larsongs said:

It gets confusing the way new Guitars are talked about these days.. It sounds as if they’re true Vintage Guitars.. I would love to play a real 1937 Martin. 85 years old! What kind of shape is it in? Which model do you have.. 

I have a 48 year old Martin D-35.. It still plays great & has a fantastic Sound.. It has been a working Guitar since new.. But has aged beautifully.. 

mine is a 00-17, bought in 93-4 for 500$.  It’s not a collectible, someone stripped the finish, put rotomatics on it, weird filled holes on the headstock side and front like they may have held gemstones, no sign of damage, so don’t think it was a repair.  I’ve had one neck reset in ‘96, another’s due in a year or two.  I put Grovers on it and a Pearse armrest back in the ‘90s, because..no finish lol.  Well, there’s a light brown stain, or could have been some finish oil, not sure.

It plays excellent, sounds like a nice all-mahogany guitar, very comfortable.  

it can get confusing, but these reissues are really something else.

While the question of what original instruments have to do with the discussion popped up early in this thread, familiarity with guitars built in the 1930s and 1940s will flavor your perception of the new -fangled versions.  It all comes down to your frame of reference.  So, my wife and I go into it not expecting new versions of the J45/50 or J200 to be spot on clones of our old ones when it comes to sound and feel. But that is exactly where the attraction lies.  It is the differences which become the selling point.  We do not need a carbon copy of guitars we already play.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

While the question of what original instruments have to do with the discussion popped up early in this thread, familiarity with guitars built in the 1930s and 1940s will flavor your perception of the new -fangled versions.  It all comes down to your frame of reference.  So, my wife and I go into it not expecting new versions of the J45/50 or J200 to be spot on clones of our old ones when it comes to sound and feel. But that is exactly where the attraction lies.  It is the differences which become the selling point.  We do not need a carbon copy of guitars we already play.

Which is why I also own Martin’s, Epiphone’s, Gretsch's, Rickenbacker’s & Fender Guitars..  Acoustic & Electric Guitars.

There are so many great Guitars to choose from to make beautiful noise!

On 11/19/2023 at 9:58 PM, Rosinante said:

. . .  I have my eyes set on a few and will be traveling to Fullers next month and hopefully taking the best Gibson I can play home with me.

That sounds like a good plan.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

. . .  not expecting new versions of the J45/50 or J200 to be spot on clones of our old ones when it comes to sound and feel. But that is exactly where the attraction lies.  It is the differences which become the selling point.  We do not need a carbon copy of guitars we already play.

. . . and that's a good way to approach it.

On 11/21/2023 at 7:13 AM, gibsonchiq said:

the 42 lg-2 CS is my main performing guitar. its a nice little guitar. 

Hello I have one too, love it and I’m wondering which pickup to add.

wh8ch one did you install?

i also have a 50s lg2 reissue, but I replaced the under saddle with a m80 which I can take in and out easily. I kind of got used to the extra punch coming out of the magnetic pickup.

i might do the same with my banner or maybe a hifi 

21 hours ago, paul300 said:

Hello I have one too, love it and I’m wondering which pickup to add.

wh8ch one did you install?

i also have a 50s lg2 reissue, but I replaced the under saddle with a m80 which I can take in and out easily. I kind of got used to the extra punch coming out of the magnetic pickup.

i might do the same with my banner or maybe a hifi 

Hi paul, i installed an LR Baggs HiFi pickup on the LG-2 Banner. 

It does indeed have a "HiFi"-like sound to it. It sounds very different on different PA systems. On some systems its VERY treble sounding. I would say that it tends to lean more towards trebley sounding, in a hifi way. 

The positive is that the tone control has a wide range. If you smash tone all the way down, it can turn an overly treble PA system into something more usable, and vintagey woody sounding. 

On 11/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, zombywoof said:

That's all good because you got in early but for the rest of the mere mortals it's a difficult trek. Be grateful. And I'm certain that you are.