Gibson Brands Forums

Historic Acoustics (non Murphy Lab)

Rosinante

So several years later, how is everyone enjoying their Historic Collection acoustics?  I'm  talking about the 2019-current runs featuring the 42 banner J45, pre war rosewood J200, 36 advanced Jumbo etc.   I don't really care about the Murphy labs, as that aging thing is not my taste.  Just wondering if people are enjoying their historic, and what is viewed as the best of the current crop.  I have my eyes set on a few and will be traveling to Fullers next month and hopefully taking the best Gibson I can play home with me.

The Murphy slightly aged 42 J45 for 8700 cdn.  Aaa.  No.   You guys can have at those.    I have original Banners that are way nicer with the old Patina and tone.  Not some clone of one.    

Edited by slimt

I ordered one of the '42 SJ Banners in 2019 and received it in 2020.

Couldn't be happier with it. I like the sound of the aged top and I like the C shaped neck. As I'm getting older, I prefer not to wrestle with the larger thicker necks. This one feels great.

Shown here next to a 2010 J45 Legend and a 1952 J45.

42 SJ Banner

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slimt said:

The Murphy slightly aged 42 J45 for 8700 cdn.  Aaa.  No.   You guys can have at those.    I have original Banners that are way nicer with the old Patina and tone.  Not some clone of one.    

I specifically asked about non Murphy labs.  Not sure what your comment adds to the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave F said:

Couldn't be happier with it. I like the sound of the aged top and I like the C shaped neck. As I'm getting older, I prefer not to wrestle with the larger thicker necks. This one feels great.

42 SJ Banner

Thanks for the input, exactly what I was wanting to hear.  Surprised you like the neck, since you say you don't like large necks, I thought these ones had 1.77" nut with about .85" of depth which is a lot bigger than most modern acoustics these days.  I will admit of the current Historic I am most interested in the SJ Banner like yours, the J45 Banner, the Advanced Jumbo and the J35, Also the Pre War Rosewood J200, but those seem to be pretty dang rare.

3 minutes ago, Rosinante said:

Thanks for the input, exactly what I was wanting to hear.  Surprised you like the neck, since you say you don't like large necks, I thought these ones had 1.77" nut with about .85" of depth which is a lot bigger than most modern acoustics these days.  I will admit of the current Historic I am most interested in the SJ Banner like yours, the J45 Banner, the Advanced Jumbo and the J35, Also the Pre War Rosewood J200, but those seem to be pretty dang rare.

The neck feels good for me. The Legend has a baseball bat chunky neck. I can get around it but I'm not going to be wrapping that thumb around. After a year or two with the SJ, I moved the Legend. I've got some slim taper necks but don't like a wide nut with that shape. The standard 1.724" nut feels better with the slim taper. For me, The C shape works better with a 1.75"-1.77" nut. 

13 minutes ago, rct said:

I just wanted to say, as usual, again, still...

Jeezus H Krist DaveF has some eFFing guitars.

rct

Mine fail in comparison to some of our other members like SlimT, TomB and JohnT. and probably a few more. I have been downsizing.

20 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Mine fail in comparison to some of our other members like SlimT, TomB and JohnT. and probably a few more. I have been downsizing.

I think we have done well over the years.   I backed off   ,I ran out of room.  But.   3 old Martins over the past 2 months  . 😁

i think everyone on the site has caught the bug of Collecting and enjoying the Instruments.  

to the OP. I read the title wrong.   However. Non Murphy Guitars  are okay.   

29 minutes ago, Dave F said:

The neck feels good for me. The Legend has a baseball bat chunky neck. I can get around it but I'm not going to be wrapping that thumb around. After a year or two with the SJ, I moved the Legend. I've got some slim taper necks but don't like a wide nut with that shape. The standard 1.724" nut feels better with the slim taper. For me, The C shape works better with a 1.75"-1.77" nut. 

Good to know.  I like the slim taper 1.725" necks and can do 1.75 or more but I like a little more depth than the currently fashionable .79-.81  that's on a lot of guitars these days.  Looking forward to trying out the historic in a couple weeks.  I actually like baseball bat necks, but only on necks smaller than 1.75.  

1 minute ago, slimt said:

I think we have done well over the years.   I backed off   ,I ran out of room.  But.   3 old Martins over the past 2 months  . 😁

i think everyone on the site has caught the bug of Collecting and enjoying the Instruments.  

to the OP. I read the title wrong.   However. Non Murphy Guitars  are okay.   

Haha cool.  I was also being a smart *** when I replied.  Since others and yourself are talking about your actual vintage collection, how about a couple family photos?

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

42 SJ Banner

Nice photo.   Nice collection.     

I have a 2020 pre-war rosewood SJ-200 and the 2021 42 banner J-45. Some common attributes.

• Both guitars' tone opened up a little bit after 4-5 months.
  • Both have always had plenty of volume.
  • Some folks don't like that the hide glue looks a bit sloppy on the inside of some of these models. It doesn't bother me a bit. I never see it and don't even remember how bad it is. I only bring that up just in case that sort of thing bothers you. be sure to take a look inside to make sure nothing offends.
  • Most folks like the cases. I do not. Just a preference.

The SJ-200 has is my #1. I don't think I could be any happier with it than I am. Anyone who's played it has that "wow" moment just a strum or two in. I landed on using John Pearse 80/20 New Mediums as my favorite strings for it. The Bluegrass Hybrid sets do well, too. None of that was needed. The stock Light gauges were just fine in it. I simply like the low-mid warmth increases and helps with that rumble feeling. 

My J-45 is different. It's the loudest of my 6 acoustics. The tone is too bright for me, but some might love that aspect. I've read folks' accounts of their J-45's over the years. They write of deep, warm tone with room for vocals to pop through. The quintessential strummer type of commentary.  Mine is the opposite. I've actually switch to DR Sunbeam Mediums and gone to 80/20's on it. Each note's got just a bit more thickness to it. I did do a sanity check with it last month and tried a set of John Pearse PB New Mediums. I'm switching back soon.

In the end, I've thought of selling the J-45 and using the money to get a baked top Hummingbird, a Banner SJ RW or an Advanced Jumbo. Maybe even get the '57 Maple SJ-200. I've not done it yet because there have still been plenty of those guitar player's moments of zen with it. Sometimes that brightness fits the mood and the song I'm playing perfectly. Playing it outside seems to be the perfect place to play it, too. So I guess it's a love/hate thing.

12 hours ago, slimt said:

I do like the Legend series. The J45 is a fine example.   Ive had  a few of those.   

I was wondering ... you have , and have had, quite a selection of guitars. Are you ever satisfied and say "that'll do" or is it an itch that can never really be scratched?

25 minutes ago, olie said:

I was wondering ... you have , and have had, quite a selection of guitars. Are you ever satisfied and say "that'll do" or is it an itch that can never really be scratched?

It is a itch that cannot be scratched  .    How ever you can only have so many new ones in a collection.  Sometimes when I voice my opinion on new Acoustics its only from what I have owned.    You other folks will view those in a different manner.   

I just bought a 56 D28, a 46 D-18 as well as a 53 D-18.    Those are my purchases over the last couple of months 

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1

The first question that pops into my mind is there something structurally different about the CS guitar in question or is it pretty much what I have seen called a "paint and paper" modern Gibson acoustic with a thermally aged top.  If I recall, as example, the Murphy Labs L00 sports not only the nuked top but a wider nut and more generous string spacing at the bridge.  While I do not give a fig about the finish, these specs would be to my liking and a selling point.  Whether I could reconcile myself to the price tag is another issue.  

As to the neck, you might want to run over to the Wildwood site as they are one of the few to provide depth of neck specs for Gibson acoustics.   If you have a frame of reference which allows you to translate those specs into feel it will give you an idea of what you will be dealing with. 

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

The first question that pops into my mind is there something structurally different about the CS guitar in question or is it pretty much what I have seen called a "paint and paper" modern Gibson acoustic with a thermally aged top.  If I recall, as example, the Murphy Labs L00 sports not only the nuked top but a wider nut and more generous string spacing at the bridge.  While I do not give a fig about the finish, these specs would be to my liking and a selling point.  Whether I could reconcile myself to the price tag is another issue.  

As to the neck, you might want to run over to the Wildwood site as they are one of the few to provide depth of neck specs for Gibson acoustics.   If you have a frame of reference which allows you to translate those specs into feel it will give you an idea of what you will be dealing with. 

Yes, the L-00 Murphy is probably the only current model of any interest to me...as long as they keep the specs as is. Gibson should definitely be encouraged to do more L-00 wide necks!

Some strange decisions made at headquarters - the Murph Labs acoustics get released with a 'new' model L-00 but not with the current Historic series LG2 Banner reissue and I was scratching my head a few years ago when the Historics were released with that LG2 with slim nut and that they didn't have an L-00......

BluesKing777.

23 hours ago, Dave F said:

42 SJ Banner

Sacramento dentists prioritize oral health with professional care and a commitment to patient well-being. From routine check-ups to specialized treatments, they ensure smiles in California's capital shine bright.

I played a couple of Murphy Les Pauls at the Gibson Garage. I have to say while I am not a fan of aging in general, that the two I played were great guitars that really had that old guitar feel to them. Rounded, smooth edges on fingerboard binding gave them a great feel to your hand. Super comfortable to play.

2-a 42 J-45 and 42 Southern Jumbo.  I figured one would go, the neck on the J-45 won out.  But yeah, it gets played mostly.  Prob going to sell a 000-28 and 0-18, buy an Aged Authentic 1939 D-18 and call it a day, 2-dreds and a 00-17 is still a bit overkill, and then I see the collection above lol.

But yeah, that J- 45 is the bee’s knees.

1 hour ago, Gibson29 said:

2-a 42 J-45 and 42 Southern Jumbo.  I figured one would go, the neck on the J-45 won out.  But yeah, it gets played mostly.  Prob going to sell a 000-28 and 0-18, buy an Aged Authentic 1939 D-18 and call it a day, 2-dreds and a 00-17 is still a bit overkill, and then I see the collection above lol.

But yeah, that J- 45 is the bee’s knees.

Are these reissues of old Guitars or are they the real thing?