Gibson Brands Forums

Bee Gees J200

ksdaddy

Only 1 respons ~

Wonder if the bros. ever realized they went Norlin.

19 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Only 1 respons ~

Wonder if the bros. ever realized they went Norlin.

Probably no more than George Harrison knew (or cared) his rosewood Tele was made under CBS ownership.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Probably no more than George Harrison knew (or cared) his rosewood Tele was made under CBS ownership.  

I didn’t even hear the phrase “pre-CBS” until about 1976, and that was not taken that seriously. 

As to Norlin,  there are some who believe any Norlin Gibson is trash. Not going to waste my breath defending Norlin. This is not the hill for me to die on. 

11 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

As to Norlin,  there are some who believe any Norlin Gibson is trash. Not going to waste my breath defending Norlin. This is not the hill for me to die on. 

I had a '79 SG that I gigged, recorded and loved for many years. It now belongs to my oldest son.

It's a killer guitar.

I was not active in guitar stuff in the 70s,  life kept getting in the way of my 60s musicality.  But, I'm guessing if I'd had the dinero, and time ...   I would have jumped at the chance to own a "NorlinGibson'.    The concept has been generally kicked about on a wider stage - that it is really  'Not Fair'  to  judge historical events and peoples based on current values, tastes, culture, and new scientific findings.     Sort of like saying  -   "Why didn't Columbus buy Manhattan from the Indians before the Dutch West India Company did? "

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I was not active in guitar stuff in the 70s,  life kept getting in the way of my 60s musicality.  But, I'm guessing if I'd had the dinero, and time ...   I would have jumped at the chance to own a "NorlinGibson'.    The concept has been generally kicked about on a wider stage - that it is really  'Not Fair'  to  judge historical events and peoples based on current values, tastes, culture, and new scientific findings.     Sort of like saying  -   "Why didn't Columbus buy Manhattan from the Indians before the Dutch West India Company did? "

Point taken - my question was primarily meant as a general question. Who and who didn't understand the significant change of the acoustic Gibsons from 1968/70 and many years on.            Talkin 'lay-people' and  pros. The Gibbs, who I liked a lot over the many decades, especially in the early phase, would very hard to figure there. They used acoustics yes, but never in that serious singersongwriter way where the Norlin-effects would stand out. And for a good solid strummed rhythm-part inside a song there's even a chance the tight N will be better. 

13 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I didn’t even hear the phrase “pre-CBS” until about 1976, and that was not taken that seriously. 

I'll have to look into the CBS phenomenon. 

And agree, , , a good well kept and seriously broken in Norlin can be a fine experience - a different one though. .  

9 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

The Gibbs, who I liked a lot over the many decades, especially in the early phase, would very hard to figure there. 

I think their disco decision made them a lot of money, but cost them a lot of respect.

I never think of them as serious musicians, just a disco act.

11 hours ago, Murph said:

I think their disco decision made them a lot of money, but cost them a lot of respect.

I never think of them as serious musicians, just a disco act.

In my view they are extremely talented. Clearly recall their decline (some kitsch mid-70s Sgt. Pepper record !?!) and later the disco-phase which sent them circling in orbit.                                                                           Wasn't on that team either, yikes, they booked the space, , , but also then knew a good song when it happens. . 

I'd like to see the person who'll screw this one down >>>>

Great videos.  I never gave a lot of thought to the Bee Gees. I'm just old enough to remember the "Words" era. "Jive Talkin'" came out when I was 15 and I though it was hokey crap. When I was a senior in high school Saturday Night Fever came out and I had respect for them for having nads enough to sing all girlie like that.... all the way to the bank.

Seeing both of these videos just now, I feel I have mostly dismissed their talent wrongly.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

In my view they are extremely talented. 

I never said they weren't talented. I just never considered them as serious musicians.

They would do whatever called upon to make a buck, but with those dollars comes a lack of credibility. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:44 AM, ksdaddy said:

I don't think most of us at the time even knew Leo had sold the company.  I continued to buy used guitars only because they were still cheaper than new ones.  It was not until the vintage craze kicked off in the late-1970s or 1980s that such things became important.  I recall the owner of my favorite music shop in Hopewell Junction NY asking $2500 for the 1950s and early-1960s Strats hanging on the wall.  

My older sister was a huge Bee Gees fan, so I grew up listening to their earlier stuff. Then "Saturday Night Fever" came out and was filmed in the neighborhood where I grew up. All the "Cugines" thought they were John Travolta. Made me want to puke.

Any way: My two favorite Bee Gees songs:

• Like 1