Gibson Brands Forums

Lava Cables...seriously? A $400 cable?

saturn

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

so there really is a dude out there with a moniker  of Machine Gun Kelly? 

while I like that name, his idea of a guitar design? 

not so much

You'd think it would look more like this:

csm_15-6-A_c223e990ec.jpg

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2024 at 7:17 AM, Notes_Norton said:

And I know guys who buy guitars, and never plan to play them.  But I wish I still had my Selmer Mark VI saxophone, they sell for small fortunes today.

Notes ♫

I had a Mark VI alto many years ago. Like you, I wish I still owned it. 

On 1/16/2024 at 4:11 PM, Phil OKeefe said:

I had a Mark VI alto many years ago. Like you, I wish I still owned it. 

I bought my Mark VI for $600 new. But $600 in 1960 = $6,057.08 in 2023, so I guess it would have only been a hedge against inflation.

I traded it in for a VII, which was a mistake. The VII had better intonation, and an edgier tone at low volumes. That made it compete with the guitars in my band better. But I couldn't overblow the horn to get that nasty sound out of it at high volumes. I suppose Selmer thought that was a good thing, but for a rock sax player, it wasn't.

When I was a little kid, I had a Mickey Mantle baseball card. I should have kept that instead of putting it in the spokes of my bicycle.

Back to the $400 cable.

With most things, there is a point of diminishing returns, where adding the same amount of money again and again starts to give you less and less improvement, perhaps eventually to the point of no improvement. And that point is different for different people, who have more money to spend.

Some people buy things way past that point, just because they can, and because it separates them from the people they believe are beneath them. Is that giant diamond, designer suit, gold plumbing fixture, and other things that cost hundreds or thousands of times more than the more common ones thousands of times better?

If you want to say, “I buy $400 cables” it may impress some, but not me. If you buy it thinks it is that much better than another, IMO there's one born every minute.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Like 1

Off-topic but related:

Years ago, I bought some active hearing attenuators from Etymotic. They reduced the volume, but were transparent between songs, so I could hear what members of the audience were saying to me.

They required the same kind of disposable battery as hearing aids, which were not expensive enough to break the bank, but for as many as I was using, I figured I could save money by buying bulk. So I did a lot of Google searches, and found some that were priced much less.

But Google is voluntary spyware. Since old folks need hearing aid batteries, I started getting ads for old folks, canes, walkers, walk-in-showers, adult diapers and so on. Not exactly what I wanted to see in my feed, so I tried saxophones and guitars. I guess they don't buy ads from Google because I kept getting geezer ads. Then I tried bikinis (for my wife) figuring I'd at least get something good to look at. Then I got geezer ads mixed with female fashion ads. Eventually, the codger ads faded away (like we all will).

That's when I switched to Start Page for a search engine. They use Google results, but mask your IP number, so nobody knows who is doing the searching. — Since I also handle the data from my customers, I subscribed to a VPN.  — And I use ad blockers and automatically delete cookies when I close my browser. 

This might be an overkill, but I take the responsibility of my customers info seriously. I also remove their data from my computer after the order is processed, and move them to another computer with an encrypted hard drive, and is never connected to the Internet. If someone leaks my customers' data, I don't want it to be me.

Sorry for the OT, but any thread that lasts long enough eventually will drift that way, as verbal conversation often does.

Notes ♫

• Like 1