Gibson Brands Forums

NGD(?)

PrairieDog

Okay, the folks who like to spend my money are clamoring: Here’s the 2001 Songbird dlx. See the next comment below. Oh, and ignore the crappy RR case.  The original case with the vintage stamp is being rehabbed in the garage while we treat it to get the stuffy/cigarette stink out. 

KygkvmX.jpg

MNElHyP.jpg

BHHQbFi.jpg

dAq1R0a.jpg

Edited by PrairieDog

There are a couple things that are giving me some doubts: 

One is this finish issue on the heel, could it be a sign of bad things to come? It’s on both sides of the heel. 

And second, at the store we found a faint pink stain centered right on the lower middle low on the bout.  I thought the finish (except for the heel bit) was almost mint. I don’t know how I missed it, except bringing out under the bright main lights of the store.  I can’t even photo it well, you can kind of see a shadow in the front view.   Of course it doesn’t affect the tone at all, but it takes away any real collector value and it now is just another really nice player.  I payed 2k so still a chunk off a new SW dlx at 3,400.00

And lastly, what about those bridge pins, in the stain hoopla I forgot to have them set those right. I’m assuming it’s just an issue with how someone set the strings on the last change, but is my ignorance showing and is something I should worry about? 

Otherwise it sounds great, but I confess playing it with the other kids it doesn’t bring a whole lot different to the mix, other than a bit of Ferguson era to the playground. 

So, what does my wallet think? Should I send it back to the shelter? Do you want to save my money for something better?  

ycLOc7b.jpg

fCgYcxf.jpg

Edited by PrairieDog

Looks like a good example of the model.  The finish issue you speak of is difficult to assess in the photo.............lifting?  slight separation at the joint?  Over the years the wood and the finish move with changes in temp and humidity and a little opening of the nitro at joints is something I would expect on an older instrument and not be much concerned with.  As long as the joint is solid, no worries.  The pins look to be either a little over-sized or improperly seated.......they're sitting a bit proud.........your first string change should tell the tale.  Happy NGD!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Okay, the folks who like to spend my money are clamoring: Here’s the 2001 Songbird dlx. 

KygkvmX.jpg

MNElHyP.jpg

BHHQbFi.jpg

dAq1R0a.jpg

If I was gonna spend your money I would get a guitar priced at about 8k, cause its your money I'm spending, so I don't care.

Congrats on your new axe.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

Looks like a good example of the model.  The finish issue you speak of is difficult to assess in the photo.............lifting?  slight separation at the joint?  Over the years the wood and the finish move with changes in temp and humidity and a little opening of the nitro at joints is something I would expect on an older instrument and not be much concerned with.  As long as the joint is solid, no worries.  The pins look to be either a little over-sized or improperly seated.......they're sitting a bit proud.........your first string change should tell the tale.  Happy NGD!

Hey thanks, Buc.  Appreciate it.  And the reassurance.  Yeah, at the heel it just seems like it’s just the nitro.  The pieces themselves are tight still.  Just wasn’t sure why it would be failing there exactly, but your comment about the wood moving makes total sense, and I should have realized that was all it was. 

17 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I agree with Buc, looks good to me. Get them corroded strings off and get them bridge pins seated and you’ll be ready to go. 

Thanks Dave.  As a collector, I’m right about the pink stain pretty much crashing any of it’s historical value, right?  I  gotta admit, while I always buy for tone first, part of my attraction here was I thought, given otherwise near mint condition, I might have seen a little return when the time came to say goodbye (many years in the future, I hope.) 

Edited by PrairieDog

I don't think a slight discoloration in the grain would have that much of an effect on the value as long as it's not a stain. I cannot see anything in the picture.

Just my opinion, I don't think these are going to be a collector's item but what do I know. I don't think any of the models with the side cutout for a preamp is going to get desirable.

Having said that, it's a very nice-looking guitar and I wouldn't mind having one. Let us know if it sounds like a Gibson or a Taylor 🙂

• Haha 1

It is squarely in the Gibson camp! ☺️  It’s *very* close to my Walnut Studio J 45, and a frankly shyer version of the DIF (which is kinda an unfair comparison).  It is well mannered though and plays nicely with the Taylors and resos.  It hasn’t met the banjo yet 😄.  It does have a nice vocal scoop, but so do the others.

And that’s part of what I’m wavering about.  It doesn’t really bring anything new to what I already have.  But it has charm. 

Re the mark.  it is a stain. it is very pink under the right light. Just about the size and shape of a “paid” stamp, like the guy said.  The light really matters to how visible it is, but once you know it’s there, it’s very hard to unsee it.  Sigh.  

That was a good point about the preamp.  As you know, even now I was concerned it might not even work when I first saw it.  I still haven’t plugged it in, so who knows, could just be a “hole plug” at this point.  It did come with a dandy “DanElectro Vintage Power” 9v tucked in the case. I’m sure that will give it some good old retro sound when I do fire it up 😆

I was on my way down to Willies to check out a 1910 L1  when I got sidetracked here.  I’m thinking about resuming that trip to see if I threw the money in the wrong direction. 

Thanks for your thoughts, always good to hear your take. 

Edited by PrairieDog

I’d hit the stain w some Virtuoso.   I tell my wife I’m a “collector”.   But I really just get and keep things I like with no regard for their future value.  More a Collector than an  Investor.  The distinction may help you decide whether or not to keep it - since it doesn’t add a new “voice “ to your lineup. 
If wifey believed you didn’t need another one BEFORE - you obviously will have to return this one if the L1 floats your boat.  

• Like 1

Congrats on getting the one you set out to get..

I hear you… I’ve been looking for another Acoustic to fill the space between my 48 year old D-35 & my 21 year old J-160E.. Looking for the one that has an equally great beautiful sound but unlike both of those Guitars.. It’s not easy to do….

I bought a Guild D-40E & a Martin HD-28E but both were too similar to my Martin & both went back.. I’ve tried a lot of different Guitars but nothing yet.. Still looking..

Good luck on your Quest…..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I’d hit the stain w some Virtuoso.   I tell my wife I’m a “collector”.   But I really just get and keep things I like with no regard for their future value.  More a Collector than an  Investor.  The distinction may help you decide whether or not to keep it - since it doesn’t add a new “voice “ to your lineup. 
If wifey believed you didn’t need another one BEFORE - you obviously will have to return this one if the L1 floats your boat.  

Grin, actually I’m blessed with an *extremely* patient and indulgent better half. Of course it may help that we’ve been playing, “one for you and one for me” lately  😁