Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 - Real or Fake?

ChristianP

Hey guys and girls!

bought this 335 a few days ago and now im worried i got burned! 

serial # 02607703 suggests its a 2007

sticker says made in Memphis but the model is written as HB007M 

the real confusion is the small details, a maple leaf decal with Limited Edition placed under the Made In USA stamp, and the front of body (near bridge and above the bigsby) plastic badge saying “custom made” has maple leaf designs instead of diamond shapes. 

if anyone knows anything about this guitar id love to hear ur insight! 
cheers 

I think Memphis ran from 1986 to 2017, so its in the right time frame.

Maple leaf designs? Sounds odd, but could be a dealer special (Canada?).

'Custom made' is not how Custom Shop (or custom models) are described, so that is a mystery. 

What is really needed here is PICTURES.

Meanwhile, look under the truss rod cover. The nut should resemble this

P1010122.jpg

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

I think Memphis ran from 1986 to 2017, so its in the right time frame.

Maple leaf designs? Sounds odd, but could be a dealer special (Canada?).

'Custom made' is not how Custom Shop (or custom models) are described, so that is a mystery. 

What is really needed here is PICTURES.

Meanwhile, look under the truss rod cover. The nut should resemble this

P1010122.jpg

Yep nut is same

Mine has the year "2018"  right under the "Made in USA" stamp. Not sure what the maple leaf is supposed to indicate - maybe some special Canadian maple that it was made from? At any rate it looks real enough to me.

Edited by 10PoundLester
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

Mine has the year "2018"  right under the "Made in USA" stamp. Not sure what the maple leaf is supposed to indicate - maybe some special Canadian maple that it was made from? At any rate it looks real enough to me.

The only other 335 i have is a Warren Haynes artist model but it doesnt have a date stamped into it (actually the serial is written on with sharpie marker) 

if consensus is that this is legit then i guess im happy with my $1000 purchase here

thank u for ur feedback and insight 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ChristianP said:

if consensus is that this is legit then i guess im happy with my $1000 purchase here

For a grand you can't go wrong. It looks like a fine guitar. I gotta wonder what's up with the maple leaf though. Like someone else said maybe it was made for a Canadian dealer for a special occasion. FWIW I do believe I've seen that "Custom Made" tag on a Gibson before - I seem to recall it was on an SG. I think you can call or write Gibson and they should be able to tell you something about it from the serial number.

Edited by 10PoundLester
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 10PoundLester said:FWIW I do believe I've seen that "Custom Made" tag on a Gibson before - I seem to recall it was on an SG. I think you can call or write Gibson and they should be able to tell you something about it from the serial number.

As i do more image searches on google i do see the “custom made” badge on other models (not sure when or why those were added?) but always with a diamond motif and never a maple leaf. 
im sure theres a story to this “limited edition” “maple leaf” model out there! 

Edited by ChristianP
  • Like 1

The Custom Made plaque is used to cover the holes from the stop tail piece when a Bigsby is added. I've seen many of them but never one with the maple leafs. Maybe a special run for one of the Canadian music store chains? I have a 1999 LP Classic that has a Limited Edition (not maple leaf) in the same spot on the back of the headstock. It's just a black Classic with no special appointments other than the Limited Edition decal. I contacted Gibson to inquire and they couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything why it was a limited edition.

Looks like a steal for $1000. I hope you solve the mystery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JO'C said:

Looks like a steal for $1000. I hope you solve the mystery.

Thanks! I recently found another forum where someone a few years ago bought on of these (and is suggesting only 50 were made for a quebec music store using canadian woods) 

ill keep digging! 

On 1/29/2024 at 12:38 PM, sparquelito said:

Here we have more guitars in Canada with the maple leaf sticker on the back of the headstock.

SG's.

One on 12fret dot com
https://www.12fret.com/no-longer-available/gibson-custom-shop-1961-les-paul-limited-edition/

And one on a Canadian guitar forum.
med-61-d.jpg

That's a good way to get a maple leaf out of Canada.

I dont know why they insist you cant depart the country with a maple leaf. They seem to have plenty of 'em

• Like 1