Gibson Brands Forums

Humble Pie jam

livemusic

1 hour ago, Murph said:

The idea and the planning and decision to video it in1970 is also part of the coolness.

To me.

Remember back in the early days, these videos are usually outtakes from TV shows like Midnight Special, or variety shows with musical acts.  In this case, it seems to be Beat Club. A German musical showcase  that ran from ‘65 to ‘72.  Still way cool because we got the whole jam, instead of just a 3 minute song before the cut to commercial.  I’m guessing it’s a portion of the acoustic set they would open their concerts with. 

I had totally forgotten Frampton started there. 

Very nice, thanks for posting. I really enjoy seeing the megastars when they were youngins. It's funny how the cameramen were not really in tune to what was going on back in those days. Showing what the guitar players were doing wasn't the focus, so we get to see the drummer tapping along during the guitar solo instead of getting to study the player's phrasings. Similar in the Woodstock movie when Santana was wailing away on Soul Sacrifice and they were showing the drummer. At least they showed Alvin Lee a lot on Goin' Home, my favorite part of the movie. 

• Like 1

Nod, I HATE that.  Right now, I’m trying to pick up banjo riffs. What the heck? Why are you zooming in on his face during the big breakdown!?  On the other hand, Rhiannon Giddens Wayfaring Stranger is a treat, like she knew we’d be trying to snag the tune, lots of close ups of both hands, so you can even slow it down to see what order she is plucking in.  (Sorry about the ‘b’ word.)