Gibson Brands Forums

Has Your Case Candy Ever Been A Watch?

• Sgt. Pepper changed the title to Has Your Case Candy Ever Been A Watch?

Well, back to our other thread, given this one IS handmade, and there will only be 20, what do you think the price should be?   Just because I can’t afford a Maserati doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be built and sold to the people who can, shrug.  I don’t fret about the Jasper Johns I don’t have hanging in my living room either.  

47 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Well, back to our other thread, given this one IS handmade, and there will only be 20, what do you think the price should be?   Just because I can’t afford a Maserati doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be built and sold to the people who can, shrug.  I don’t fret about the Jasper Johns I don’t have hanging in my living room either.  

I am assuming Jasper Johns is a painter or artist of some sort? I like Dali. None if his work is in my house either. Well sometimes I get the Dali 202? calendar and then his work is.

15 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

If you saw what some RGM watches cost, you're buying a watch and getting a guitar with it.

My cell phone tells me what time it is and adjusts all by itself for daylight savings.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My cell phone tells me what time it is and adjusts all by itself for daylight savings.

Well, until the battery is dead, or the phone is obsoleted, chuckle.  And how much do you pay a month for that DST convenience twice a year that comes with your data plan?  Do the math, between the phone charge, data plan, and having to buy new devices at some point,  people are spending close to the same money for their tech over 10-20 years as they would for that guitar/watch that will always work

Edited by PrairieDog

Twenty six thousand bones?

My daily driver cost less than that, brand new.
Admittedly, it did not come with a watch.

Speaking of "buy one and you also get" marketing, does anyone else remember this Volkswagen wonderfulness from 16 years ago?

https://www.cars.com/articles/buy-a-vw-get-a-guitar-1420663330505/

I owned one of those guitars.

Bought it used from a local pawn shop a couple seasons ago.
It had somebody's VIN for a serial number.
😒

Oh yeah.
They also paid John Mayer a bit of coin to help advertise it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=john+mayer+plays+guitar+thru+a+volkswagen#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:79e97303,vid:OrKKwjAGTA0,st:0

17 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Well, until the battery is dead, or the phone is obsoleted, chuckle. 

A watch is a vital piece of equipment for me. Like a knife or two. I'm not tethered to my phone, sometimes I leave it just to piss it off.  And the phone is too brittle.

I need a John Wayne watch, like a Bertucci.

OgvD1xD.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

A watch is a vital piece of equipment for me. Like a knife or two. I'm not tethered to my phone, sometimes I leave it just to piss it off.  And the phone is too brittle.

I need a John Wayne watch, like a Bertucci.

Nod… I so rarely carry my phone I don’t even give out the number to anyone.  We still have land lines for the business.  I confess to wearing an apple watch that has cell service, but it is mostly for safety, it’s got that fall monitor/locate beacon feature for when I’m out in the wilds, or need to call the office or home.  The heart monitor has also been useful.  

Great looking watch…and the knife has seen some things…..

And Speaking of watches you could buy a house with, years ago my dad made a big point of telling me that he was giving Grandpa’s antique Patek Phillipe pocket watch to my brother.  I had no quibbles with that, his stuff to do with as he saw fit.  Happy for bro.  

Fast forward 30 years, my brother generously offered to hand the watch off to me.  I told him I didn’t really need it, but I’d look into getting valued and we can decide what to do with it, since neither of us have kids and it’s time to start thinking about these things.  It had always been described as having the kind of value that elicits those fainting gasps on Antiques Roadshow. Maybe we could pad the retirement accounts a bit.  

I started to do the research and found it may have been over-hyped just a bit. Sure, a nice very pricey pocket watch, but unlikely either of us was retiring to the Riviera on it.  

Still, I opened it up to get the serial number to send to Patek for verification, and found poor Grandpa got taken. While the case and dial are right, the movement is a fake.

Edited by PrairieDog

I don't have a cell phone, I use pocket watches from the early 20th century, and my car has points and a carb. So when we get hit with the EMP and it fries everything, at least I can still drive and tell time.

30 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I don't have a cell phone, I use pocket watches from the early 20th century, and my car has points and a carb. So when we get hit with the EMP and it fries everything, at least I can still drive and tell time.

😆  We got a preview of that! The tree by our house/driveway got hit by lightning a few years back.  The bolt went through the roots under the drive and toasted the electrical system in both our Outback and the work-truck. Tiniest little burn hole of the exit in the back window. The Subie was 10 years old, but only had ticked over 100,000 miles.  Thinking we’d have it another 10, we had just sunk 3 grand on a new gas tank the mice had chewed through, and replacing the backseat sponge that sat on top of it.  We literally had driven home the night before on a brand new 2k set of tires for the truck.  

It caromed off our well-head, blowing our garden to smithereens, We had just restored it after having the well pump replaced a couple days before.  We found 20 pound rocks tossed across the drive.   And some of our plants, well we never found them, just vaporized.  

Then the charge got in the phone lines and took out any electronics connected, including our phones, router/modem, and the brand new 65 in Samsung Q9 I had just bought myself for a treat and the motherboard for our geothermal system.  It traveled 200 feet down the buried line to the barn office and blew that phone hook up across the room. thank god we had everything for the business down there on a giant surge protector. It paid for its keep in its sacrifice that day, RIP. 

Not sure if it was in the lines or just the nearby strike blow off, but our neighbors 1500 feet away had 2 phone jacks catch and fry out.  We’re damn lucky it didn’t start any fires in the wiring.  

So yeah, This is why we don’t mind our walls of packed bookcases. Paper reading material is going to be the new bitcoin when the apocalypse hits and the internet disappears.  😄

Edited by PrairieDog

42 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Love that watch. 👆 I have a slight obsession with watches and time pieces.  Just recently picked up this Casio watch.  Not a brand I love, but this one makes the cut with its simple clean design and reasonable price. 

61Oy2b-02WL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

Loved my Casio back when it was the new cool, “hip” thing out pacing Timex.  Lost it somewhere along the way. Nice looker.    

14 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Love that watch. 👆 I have a slight obsession with watches and time pieces.  Just recently picked up this Casio watch.  Not a brand I love, but this one makes the cut witdesign and reasonable price. 61Oy2b-02WL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

The Bertucci watch has solid lugs. Not those little rinky dink pins. Swiss or U.S.A. movements, mine is titanium and you can beat em' with a hammer and they won't quit. 

Best field watch I've ever owned.

On 2/2/2024 at 1:54 PM, PrairieDog said:

Well, until the battery is dead, or the phone is obsoleted, chuckle.  And how much do you pay a month for that DST convenience twice a year that comes with your data plan?  Do the math, between the phone charge, data plan, and having to buy new devices at some point,  people are spending close to the same money for their tech over 10-20 years as they would for that guitar/watch that will always work

I know I am one of those rich folks that can afford a cell phone. Everybody has one, probably you do too.  

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know I am one of those rich folks that can afford a cell phone. Everybody has one, probably you do too.  

I don't have one. And, I'm proud of it. About 90% of my ancestors lived  'til their early to mid nineties (none of them had a cell phone). I figure, I made  the first 60+ years without one, I can do the next 30 without one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m just funning at you for bragging your phone tells time as good as a five figure watch.  Just observing the $26,000 is going out of your pocket either way, and you won’t have a guitar to show for it. 

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

I don't have one. And, I'm proud of it. About 90% of my ancestors lived  'til their early to mid nineties (none of them had a cell phone). I figure, I made  the first 60+ years without one, I can do the next 30 without one.

I hate the things and rarely have mine on me. Only for work.   Funny story, we were buying a car after that lightning strike I mentioned above, and were still carrying around flip phones in 2018.  The new car came with one of those link systems where you can use your phone and wifi connected to the car.  Despite explaining not to bother setting the system up for our phones, the young woman insisted she could do it. She just could not get her head around the idea we had technology that predated Bluetooth, from the 20th century, and it still worked.  

The only reason I have a phone is for security checks. You know, when you change a password or need to prove who I am online. Other than that, it doesn't get much use. 

Watches though, I still wear one and rarely take it off. 

I have a 'Steal Your Face' (Grateful Dead) watch that I've never worn. Don't recall where I came across it.

I only like small 'old style' watches. The kind you haven't been able to buy for 40 years. So I keep two old Rotarys and get the movement replaced every time they stop working.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 3:00 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

Love that watch. 👆 I have a slight obsession with watches and time pieces.  Just recently picked up this Casio watch.  Not a brand I love, but this one makes the cut with its simple clean design and reasonable price. 

61Oy2b-02WL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

I have an old Citizen dive watch that is beat to a pulp, I use it for days I'm changing oil, painting, etc. 

I must admit, that solar battery is over 15 years old and that watch still keeps perfect time. They surely do have solar watches figured out.