Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Country & Western

vikjohn

I bought my Gibson in 1966 when I was 16, Yes, I have had it a LONG time. It needs a good cleaning and more. I don't want the scars taken out ... life stories. The finish is pretty much gone on the neck. What can I use to get it back in shape? 

on a guitar that old I wouldn't use anything on the finish but a damp cloth.  The 20+ year old finish on my J-185 reacted badly to Virtuoso cleaner in an effort to clear some forearm haze.......old nitro can apparently be finicky.  I have used plain old Gibson spray polish on it with no ill effects but it doesn't clear haze.  Perhaps the fingerboard needs a bit of oil, perhaps not.

Just be very cautious with that old finish.

Just a note about any water getting near an old guitar…. If there is any checking at all, even  just surface scratches, minute amounts of water can get into the cracks and trapped. It will start interacting with/lifting the  finish, or make more haze. Think permanent water rings on your new mother-in-law’s antique side-table. (I may speak from experience, “Where were you raised, in a barn?! Dontcha know to use a coaster?!”). Used correctly,  naptha will evaporate before it can do damage to broken surfaces.  

Edited by PrairieDog

On 2/2/2024 at 5:22 PM, vikjohn said:

I bought my Gibson in 1966 when I was 16, Yes, I have had it a LONG time. It needs a good cleaning and more. I don't want the scars taken out ... life stories. The finish is pretty much gone on the neck. What can I use to get it back in shape? 

Hi - why not show us some pics of that old buddy. . . 

Lawdy, in 1966 I was still counting myself lucky to scrape together what I needed to buy a used Harmony Sovereign.  

I pretty much also just go with a cotton cloth slightly dampened with distilled water for general sprucing up.  On the neck as you described though you consider using Rennaissance Wax.   It dries to an extremely thin but tough as nails coating and does a great job of protecting any remaining finish from oils and other nasty stuff.  While this is what you would use if cleaning the desk Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence  at, it was not developed with musical instruments in mind.  So, a small test area would be advisable.

On the fingerboard and such I go with a bore oil which can be found a any music shop.

Edited by zombywoof

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

While this is what you would use if cleaning the desk Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence  at, it was not developed with musical instruments in mind. 

Yes, it's good strong and reliable stuff !

If I'm not too far off it was developed in relation to Long John Silver's wooden leg. .