Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation?

Jim H

I’m pretty much a newbee at setting guitars up and I have no one to help. 
I bought  a used gibson standard. I was checking intonation. High e, b and g are perfect. Every fret. When I checked the d string, intonation was fine up to about fret 9. From 9- up, I just got a picking sound with no tone. Turns out strings d, a and lower e were the same. I played with the saddles on the bridge but still the same. I didn’t want to mess with bridge height because the action is where I wanted it to be. 
Am I missing something? Can someone please help?

thank!

• Confused 1

For those of us who don’t exactly have a delicate touch.. Apply a piece of Painters tape on wood areas where you’re working to protect the finish from possible scratches… Sometimes Screwdrivers slip…

• Like 1

When you can set each string length individually.... if any string is sharp on the 12th fret, it means the string is too short....so you lengthen the string, re-tune it open then check the 12th fret. again....repeat until the open string and 12th fret are the same.

Obviously, if the 12th fret is flat, the string is too long...so you do the above but shorten the string.

At least that's how I do it.

• Like 1

I just got a picking sound with no tone.

If I read this right, seems that the D string is fretting out not producing notes on those frets. 

Do I understand you correctly?

If YES, this isn't intonation.

Intonation is the pitch of the string struck "opened" (not fretted anywhere) and the pitch of the same string at the played at the 12th fret. 

when intonated properly, the pitch of that string should be identical when played  OPENED and played at the 12th fret 

EG:  It should not be sharp or flat when using a tuner,  from the "in tune"  open "D" note to "D" note played on the D String at the 12th fret.

if you are not getting a note to ring out on those frets, that is to do with relief of the neck, a reverse bow in the neck, high frets, or something else.

Take it to a setup tech

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

For those of us who don’t exactly have a delicate touch.. Apply a piece of Painters tape on wood areas where you’re working to protect the finish from possible scratches… Sometimes Screwdrivers slip…

great tip.  back in "79 I had a Strat refinished and while putting everything back together, stretching one of the springs to the bridge block the needle nose pliers slipped and a big ol scratch across the back of the freshly painted Strat body. that was a 3 Marlboro mistake ... before I calmed down. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Karloff said:

great tip.  back in "79 I had a Strat refinished and while putting everything back together, stretching one of the springs to the bridge block the needle nose pliers slipped and a big ol scratch across the back of the freshly painted Strat body. that was a 3 Marlboro mistake ... before I calmed down. 

Bummer! I think we’ve all done it.. I know I have..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

When you can set each string length individually.... if any string is sharp on the 12th fret, it means the string is too short....so you lengthen the string, re-tune it open then check the 12th fret. again....repeat until the open string and 12th fret are the same.

Obviously, if the 12th fret is flat, the string is too long...so you do the above but shorten the string.

At least that's how I do it.

Same here.

• Like 1