Gibson Brands Forums

I knew my hearing was shot.

Retired

15 minutes ago, Retired said:

You know what irritated me the most with just WAY Too DARN LOUD? Rock and Roll concerts we've been to over all the years. We have been to hundreds of them. Many were pleasant to go to and we enjoyed them very much. I remember some big names we saw, Blues, Rock N Roll, Country, so on.  And they come out and are so darn fricken'  loud That we had to leave. Sometimes I removed my hearing aids and shoved roll up ear plugs down to my ear drums so I could listen. Even then they were way too loud. What does that do to the Audience? Nothing, those go down as terrible bands and many refuse to go to them again.  You don't have to play at the top loudest settings to be heard folks. Plus you ruin your hearing as well.  The Eagles have been pleasant to go to and we seen them I think 4 or 5 times now. We are going to see them again tonight.  One Blues band we saw had a warm up band first. Muddy Waters or something like that. He was fine but not the warm up band. He was an excellent guitarist but way too darn loud.  I hated every minute. 

I've been to many concerts too....probably the loudest was Hank Williams, Jr.

It was so loud it was uncomfortable to sit in the audience....you sure as heck couldn't talk to the person next to you.

8 hours ago, Retired said:

Yes, Do that. And I'm a gun collector also. Or used to be. Target shooting doesn't help matters. I only went to the target range once to three times a year. But when I bought my Smith and Wesson .500 Magnum, I got hooked on it. I was in bodybuilding at the time and had solid hard rock muscle. My wife told me hugging me felt like hugging a solid rock. even my butt cheeks. So I loved shooting that .500.  It felt like a grenade going off in the hand. Talk about a super accurate gun. Don't think it helped my hearing though even though I wore all the best of hearing protection. 

While I was working, we had quarterly qualifications and I would usually go the range at least once between qualifications.  So about 8-10 times a year.  Since I was always stationed in warm weather climates, most qualifications were at outdoor ranges.  Practice sessions were both outdoors and indoors.  I used electronic muffs about the last 20 years to hear the commands of the range officer.  I still use electronic muffs for my annual LEOSA qualification to hear the commands or when I take my grandson or granddaughter to the range so we can hear one another.  I’m seriously considering using the muffs (turned off) along with ear plugs during those times when I am by myself and don’t need to hear/converse with others.

The last time I took my grandson (17 years old) to the indoor range, I took my Glock 26 (9mm), Sig P220 (.45) and S&W Model 66 (.357 magnum) so that he could experience a broad range of calibers and handguns.  I went easy on him, using mostly target ammo.  But I told him he will need to put his “big boy pants” on next time because I would be bringing some hot ammo, some of which is only available to LE personnel.  I don’t think he will have any problems though.

Believe it or not, there was a time back in the ‘70s when some federal agencies didn’t use any hearing protection whatsoever.  I have some friends who had serious hearing problems while they were still on the job.  Most, if not all, people on the job during the period before hearing protection received some sizable compensation for their hearing loss.  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 1:36 PM, ksdaddy said:

I struggle with voices, particularly female. They can be 10 feet away and it sounds like there’s a wall between us. Just something about that frequency range I guess. 

are you selling any of that? (asking for a friend)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2024 at 2:01 PM, DanvillRob said:

I've been to many concerts too....probably the loudest was Hank Williams, Jr.

It was so loud it was uncomfortable to sit in the audience....you sure as heck couldn't talk to the person next to you.

Terrible isn't it?

On 2/10/2024 at 5:57 PM, tx-ogre said:

While I was working, we had quarterly qualifications and I would usually go the range at least once between qualifications.  So about 8-10 times a year.  Since I was always stationed in warm weather climates, most qualifications were at outdoor ranges.  Practice sessions were both outdoors and indoors.  I used electronic muffs about the last 20 years to hear the commands of the range officer.  I still use electronic muffs for my annual LEOSA qualification to hear the commands or when I take my grandson or granddaughter to the range so we can hear one another.  I’m seriously considering using the muffs (turned off) along with ear plugs during those times when I am by myself and don’t need to hear/converse with others.

The last time I took my grandson (17 years old) to the indoor range, I took my Glock 26 (9mm), Sig P220 (.45) and S&W Model 66 (.357 magnum) so that he could experience a broad range of calibers and handguns.  I went easy on him, using mostly target ammo.  But I told him he will need to put his “big boy pants” on next time because I would be bringing some hot ammo, some of which is only available to LE personnel.  I don’t think he will have any problems though.

Believe it or not, there was a time back in the ‘70s when some federal agencies didn’t use any hearing protection whatsoever.  I have some friends who had serious hearing problems while they were still on the job.  Most, if not all, people on the job during the period before hearing protection received some sizable compensation for their hearing loss.  

Did I mention my wife & I went to The Eagles concert last night? Steely Dan was the warm up band. Now music has never seemed the same since I retired. Just doesn't sound right anymore. Even with aides.  To start with, I put them on crowd. That blocks all background audience noise. When Steely Dan came out they sounded great. Of course I could't hear a word what Deb said to me on my right. She was blocked off also. But I was impressed with the music and it sounded great like what I always remembered. Then The Eagles came and they were great also. I enjoyed both bands. Not too loud either.  Then at the end after standing ovation, I figured they were done so I turned my Thrive on the cell phone to Normal to the original setting and they played one more song. Man was it loud. Nothing like the Eagle concerts in the past. I've heard louder though and I asked Deb, were they that loud all concert? YEP she said.  That was too bad but my aides did work. 

On 2/10/2024 at 5:57 PM, tx-ogre said:

Your grandson should have a good time.  I remember when I showed my son to shoot. I just wanted to educate him on guns and never play with one. He has over half my collection now. I don't shoot at all anymore with my hearing so bad. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Me too, phone conversations suck.

Yep. I ca't even here or should say understand people on the phone anymore. I never answer it. Wouldn't do any good any way. My wife makes all appointments for me. 

On 2/9/2024 at 5:56 PM, kidblast said:

so plugged in, but not turned on... hmm, a bit of a paradox isn't it!

(not sure if this is really a paradox. but I just really wanted to use the word paradox today)

and there it is  THREE times no less.

I'll show myself out.

Its a virtual / digital pre-amp in a signal processor. If using the buttons, it will time out after a few seconds and revert to prior selection thus de-engaging. That's what happened.