Gibson Brands Forums

Pull the trigger on this advanced jumbo with neck repair?

Hey everyone. I could use your help as you likely have more experience than I do. I’ve been hunting for a slope dread for a while, and those southern jumbos are toward the top of my list.

I came across this one on Facebook and the price feels right. But apparently it had the truss rod overtightened, which split the back of the neck at the headstock, which was repaired professionally.

Curious if anyone would be overly concerned about that? This seems like a good price, even with the repair, but I haven’t been hunting for all too long to be confident.

Edited by brettryantalley

would not really bug me if the price reflected that and of course, done right

it does look like the repair job was solid

I think the ballpark on repaired neck is 50% from what it would be without the break

not sure if that's fair but that seems to be the going rate.

55 minutes ago, kidblast said:

would not really bug me if the price reflected that and of course, done right

it does look like the repair job was solid

I think the ballpark on repaired neck is 50% from what it would be without the break

not sure if that's fair but that seems to be the going rate.

Thanks Kidblast!

13 hours ago, gearbasher said:

You have to wonder: Why was the truss rod overtightened in the first place?

My hunch is cock pit error.

Letting some people loose on a guitar with tools can sometimes lead to unpleasant results.

44 minutes ago, kidblast said:

My hunch is cock pit error.

Letting some people loose on a guitar with tools can sometimes lead to unpleasant results.

Yep. That's why they won't let people wear a multitool on a plane. They don't want some nut running around looking for something to "adjust..."

• Like 1

I have 2 Gibson acoustics that have had neck repairs.  

One was repaired by me...and I've been playing it for over 50 years.

The other was repaired by Gibson, (it's a 12-String).   Had it for maybe 6-7 years....zero issues.

You might get the price down a little, but it is a beautiful guitar.

23 hours ago, brettryantalley said:

. . . I’ve been hunting for a slope dread for a while, and those southern jumbos are toward the top of my list . . . 

One thing to bear in mind- The Advanced Jumbo model is a different creature than the venerable J-45/ Southern Jumbo. The longer scale length and (usually) rosewood back and sides gets away from the quick decay that makes the J-45 and SoJo such a fine strummer and those two models are known to work well with vocals. The three AJs  I've had (in different incarnations) have all had a "harder" sound.

If you go forward with the repaired AJ, you might want to pop the truss rod cover off, make sure things look ok there, and maybe confirm that the truss rod functions as it should.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

thanks everyone! i reached out to the guy selling & said if he'd consider something closer to 1200 after an inspection, that i'd be open to it. doubt he does that, but thanks for the help, the thoughts & the clarity on the AJ & j45 differences. 

so...the hunt continues!

there is a nice j45 50 faded here on reverb that has my interest. seems like a good price & i do like the satin over the gloss. also very interested in the dss17 whiskey sunset martin i played the other day at a place around here. 

I'm really interested in a 12 fret sloped dread...but feel like i need to save a little more or wait around much longer to get lucky on one popping up. 

i'd love any thoughts on the difference between a j45 & the martin dss17. sorry for all the questions! i've never quite spent close to 2k on an acoustic & trying to be careful about it. 

Edited by brettryantalley

On 3/4/2024 at 2:40 AM, brettryantalley said:

thanks everyone! i reached out to the guy selling & said if he'd consider something closer to 1200 after an inspection, that i'd be open to it. doubt he does that, but thanks for the help, the thoughts & the clarity on the AJ & j45 differences. 

so...the hunt continues!

there is a nice j45 50 faded here on reverb that has my interest. seems like a good price & i do like the satin over the gloss. also very interested in the dss17 whiskey sunset martin i played the other day at a place around here. 

I'm really interested in a 12 fret sloped dread...but feel like i need to save a little more or wait around much longer to get lucky on one popping up. 

I'd love any thoughts on the difference between a J45 and the Martin DSS17. Sorry for all the questions! I've never quite spent close to 2k on an acoustic and trying to be careful about it. Additionally, considering the investment involved, utilizing Passixer iPhone Unlocker to access comprehensive reviews and comparisons online may provide valuable insights to help make an informed decision.

Was advised today by a local luthier it needs a neck reset. Action was always a tad high but lately seemed higher...hence me taking it in. Guitar has been well cared for and used sparingly. I have two questions: 1. Would there be any chance of Gibson doing anything on this under their warranty? Logistically tricky I know. 2. What’s a reset likely to set me back - ballpark? Any fellow Australian’s advice much appreciated with question 2. Thanks very much.

2 hours ago, cayine said:

Was advised today by a local luthier it needs a neck reset. .

. . . ->

On 3/2/2024 at 5:36 PM, gearbasher said:

You have to wonder: Why was the truss rod overtightened in the first place?

You saw that one coming. +1.