Gibson Brands Forums

Slash feat. Brian Johnson - "Killing Floor"

Rabs

I had the opportunity to see Slash in Los Angeles back in 2018.  Talk about the guitars that man brought to the show.  I must have over a hundred photographs of him playing a different guitar for every song on the set list.

I kind of dug the Gold Explorer he played that night and his newest signature at the time, the cherry red 4 guitar. 

Just found this online.

We're thrilled to share some exciting music news bound to stir the souls of rock and blues aficionados alike. Guitar legend Slash is set to release his sixth solo album, “Orgy of the Damned,” on May 17, under the banner of Gibson Records.

A great cover takes something old and makes it new again. This is the philosophy behind Slash’s  new album, Orgy of the Damned, a collection of 12 dynamic songs that shakes up and revitalizes blues classics with a stripped down, instinctive approach. Working in a similar way to his 2010 self-titled solo LP Slash, which featured multiple guest vocalists, the acclaimed guitarist teamed up with numerous musicians and singers to create a singular expression that pays homage to the blues. By celebrating both well-known and largely undiscovered songs, Slash offers a nostalgic nod to the past while reinvigorating the songs with his inimitable guitar playing and the spirit of collaboration.

Side A:
The Pusher- feat. Chris Robinson
Crossroads – feat. Gary Clark Jr.
Hoochie Coochie Man – feat. Billy F. Gibbons

Side B:
Oh Well – feat. Chris Stapleton
Key To The Highway – feat. Dorothy
Awful Dream- feat. Iggy Pop

Side 😄
Born Under A Bad Sign – feat. Paul Rodgers
Papa Was A Rolling Stone – feat. Demi Lovato
Killing Floor – feat. Brian Johnson

Side 😧
Living for the City – feat. Tash Neal
Stormy Monday – feat. Beth Hart
Metal Chestnut

May 17.  Just in time for my birthday.🤗

x

Edited by Californiaman
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Californiaman said:

I wonder if Frank Sidoris is going to play second guitar for Slash.  I know he's worked with Slash before and he's played with the likes of Wolfgang Van Halen.

4zjWie7m.jpg

WBEAixcm.jpg

Last I heard, he was still playing with Slash & co.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:32 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

GNR never stuck a chord with me. I was into Prog, Zappa, The Dead and those guys from Liverpool. They dressed nice too. 

I thought Slash's lead work was better in GNR. I think a better solo could have been laid down... something with a little more phrasing. Sounds a bit plucky is some areas.

3 minutes ago, duane v said:

I thought Slash's lead work was better in GNR. I think a better solo could have been laid down... something with a little more phrasing. Sounds a bit plucky is some areas.

I seriously never heard the entire AFD album till about 2007 or so. I heard Jungle, Sweet Child and Paradise City so much when it came out I was sick of them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I seriously never heard the entire AFD album till about 2007 or so. I heard Jungle, Sweet Child and Paradise City so much when it came out I was sick of them.

Don't get me wrong, I think Slash is great, but I could have laid down a better solo than that one. I would have let some of the phrasing breathe a little more, rather than the constant playing  of 16th notes of pentatonic scales.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:55 AM, duane v said:

I thought Slash's lead work was better in GNR.

And songwriting. I prefer UYI 1&2 to AFD. His solo stuff isn't my cup of tea. The riff to Die by the sword (was it?), maybe. The rest never stuck.

But I hold him in high regard as a player.

Edited by Pinch

14 hours ago, duane v said:

However I did really dig Brian Johnson vocal vibes on this jam..... 

Right? I'm not the world's biggest AC/DC fan - obviously they do what they do very well, and Malcolm was awesome and all that - but man, Brian Johnson killed it on this one.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Right? I'm not the world's biggest AC/DC fan - obviously they do what they do very well, and Malcolm was awesome and all that - but man, Brian Johnson killed it on this one.

Yeah, he really nailed the vocals. 

IMO, the harp playing wasn't half-bad, either. That was a pleasant surprise. I didn't know Steven Tyler could play harp like that. 

• 4 weeks later...

The whole album is up now.. Havent heard it all yet but honestly I find it way too over produced and by the numbers.. But it is what it is I guess. Im not calling it bad.. Far from it, but its not that exciting either.

Slash - YouTube

Heres a few for you

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

I saw two more:

CROSSROADS, with Gary Clark Jr.  EXCELLENT. This is a great song, I know it from Lynyrd Skynyrd when Ronnie and the others were there, 

BORN UNDER A BAD SIGN, Paul Rodgers is like 74, but still has his great trademark voice in the song. EXCELLENT. 

Edited by OrdinaryNimda
There were 2 typos in Lynyrd Skynyrd, as usually.