Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-OO

risco

I bought this guitar about a year ago. I DO love it but ,it's off to a rocky start. First the under saddle pickup didn't  pick up the low E string. Removed it for a k&k . Then one of the tuning pegs[Butterbeans] broke off. Gibson sent me a new set! Now my Luthier is finishing it up ; said the frets were all uneven. Well I hope this is the end of it!

I got a new L-00 standard vintage in December and its the only acoustic  I've played since then.  Zero problems and the more I play it the more I like it.  I hope your luthier gets it set up right for you and you can start to enjoy it.  

Although I haven't even put a battery in it so I can't say for sure the pickups work.

Edited by Hard Case

On 3/31/2024 at 6:07 PM, Leonard McCoy said:

Got some pictures? I have my Gibson L-00 Original Ebony on preorder for later this year.

I do love this guitar . I think mine is called an Original also. But I took the butterbeans of and installed Grovers... I don't know how to post pics ; sorry.

I have four versions of the Gibson L00. Most comfortable guitar size/style for me. '32 Reissue long scale (like the Legend), all hog, M2M 12 fret aged top, 12 fret Nick Lucas

21 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I have four versions of the Gibson L00. Most comfortable guitar size/style for me. '32 Reissue long scale (like the Legend), all hog, M2M 12 fret aged top, 12 fret Nick Lucas

HI Dave ; what gauge strings are you using.? I took off a set of GHS 12-50 roundcore thinlines because they were buzzing pretty bad . Then I glued a .020 piece of wood to the saddle. Then I put on a set of Daddario phospher bronze 12-53. Now the action feels high and hard to fret... sorry to ramble ,just trying to figure it out .

Haven't posted on here for over 20 years.  Started playing when I was 8 or 9 on a Stella flat top my brother owned.  Played with it on my lap using my thumb.  My love of guitars began.  First electric an Alamo single pickup when I was 12 or 13.  Then a Conrad when my my Dad brought home Chet Atkins Traveling.  Like many learned to finger pick  by playing short sections over and over.  No idea what a double track was.  First Gibson was a ES345 -65/66?  Waited a year for my first L5 received in 74 or 5 after I married.  Major disappointment.  Seemed like a log to me.  Sold for 1/2 the down payment on first house though!  Went several years with no guitar then found an ES350T.  Fantastic!  Back into guitars.  Had a great job as did wife so I began collecting/playing for personal enjoyment again.  Discovered Martins, Benedetto, Etc.  All great but Gibsons always seemed more comfortable and always sounded better with superior range to me.  Retired 20 years ago and thinned out collection to about one tenth the value but all "players".  Hearing diminished now I'm most interested in acoustics.  I posted here because I recently acquired a G00.  ( Owned a couple of CS Nick Lucas models but just never bonded with them.)  This G00 is another FANTASTIC guitar.  Love everything about it especially the performance neck, the 1.725 ebony fret board, sound port and surprisingly to me -the walnut.  The size also seems perfect.  I hope Gibson revisits the Generation series someday soon.  They are without doubt on to something.  There is lots of pricing room for them upgrade a bit more and still have great competitors for Asian made guitars.  I guess they are selling enough high dollar guitars but having retired from a mature industry that over priced itself into oblivion, value is where they should focus IMHO.  Will always be a Gibson guy at heart.  Guitars will keep you feeling young!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RObM said:

Guitars will keep you feeling young!

Being well into my 70s I can safely say they do not.   And I am coming from the perspective of being privileged to play a 1932 12 fret L1.  What they can do though is no matter how old and curmudgeonly you are is to help you get through the bad times while they make the good times great.

Edited by zombywoof

58 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Being well into my 70s I can safely say they do not.   And I am coming from the perspective of being privileged to play a 1932 12 fret L1.  What they can do though is no matter how old and curmudgeonly you are is to help you get through the bad times while they make the good times great.

Maybe a new guitar will make you feel young 🙂 

It will make you feel poorer 🙂

Edited by Dave F
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

Maybe a new guitar will make you feel young 🙂 

It will make you feel poorer 🙂

Maybe a new guitar would work.  My favorite Gibsons are all older than I am and every time I play them it hits home with all the subtlety of a flying mallet (you get extra points if you can name the guitar player on the LP with that title) that they have held up a lot better than I have.

As to feeling poorer, I have always found it best to heed my wife's wisdom when it comes to buying guitars.  Her take on it has always been - ahh, just go ahead and buy the thing as six months from now you will never even know you spent the money.  Darn if she was not right.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:22 AM, zombywoof said:

Not many chances of getting a real 32 L1 over here, easier if I lived on the Moon, probably!

But for a short while there, Waterloo had the incredible WL-12 maple back and side blacktop, obviously based on your model or close, and now they are rare as old Gibsons! AND I had one in my hot little hands around 2016 approx and I didn't buy it. It was great but I already had 2 Waterloo 14 fretters. (You idiot, kick myself. 🤪).

Now it would be nicely played in like mine! If they come up for sale, they are 4 times the original price......

Here is a SOLD one so you can look at the pics:

https://themusicemporium.com/products/waterloo-wl-12-jet-black-top

BluesKing777.

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Not many chances of getting a real 32 L1 over here, easier if I lived on the Moon, probably!

But for a short while there, Waterloo had the incredible WL-12 maple back and side blacktop, obviously based on your model or close, and now they are rare as old Gibsons! AND I had one in my hot little hands around 2016 approx and I didn't buy it. It was great but I already had 2 Waterloo 14 fretters. (You idiot, kick myself. 🤪).

Now it would be nicely played in like mine! If they come up for sale, they are 4 times the original price......

Here is a SOLD one so you can look at the pics:

https://themusicemporium.com/products/waterloo-wl-12-jet-black-top

BluesKing777.

As Gibson started transitioning to 14 fret necks in 1931, 12 fretters are not the easiest of guitars to find anywhere.  This '32 though is the only time that haggling got me nowhere.  The seller would not budge off his $5K asking price.  The only concession I got was he agreed to slap it in a hardshell case which I believe had housed a Dobro.  But that remains the most I have ever laid out on a guitar.

I generally like the Warterloos.  When they first came out it took me over a year to get to play one as every instrument the store which carried them had gotten in was sold before it ever hit the shelves.  My take on it though is that Collings actually got closer with their take on the Kel Kroyden.  You knew that simply because they warned going with nothing heavier than 11-52 gauge strings.  I swear my '32 is so lightly built you barely have to breathe on it to get a tone.

Edited by zombywoof

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

As Gibson started transitioning to 14 fret necks in 1931, 12 fretters are not the easiest of guitars to find anywhere.  This '32 though is the only time that haggling got me nowhere.  The seller would not budge off his $5K asking price.  The only concession I got was he agreed to slap it in a hardshell case which I believe had housed a Dobro.  But that remains the most I have ever laid out on a guitar.

I generally like the Warterloos.  When they first came out it took me over a year to get to play one as every instrument the store which carried them had gotten in was sold before it ever hit the shelves.  My take on it though is that Collings actually got closer with their take on the Kel Kroyden.  You knew that simply because they warned going with nothing heavier than 11-52 gauge strings.  I swear my '32 is so lightly built you barely have to breathe on it to get a tone.

Well, I can't imagine playing 11s, but I suppose I could run 12s tuned down a couple of steps....

The Waterloo WL-12 is great - very responsive, extremely! But disappeared like the proverbial....

BluesKing777.