Gibson Brands Forums

Please Just No

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, John Shiflet said:

With your wicked sense of humor (I really laughed, thanks!) you should be promoted to Captain Pepper.  A strange sense of consensus seems to exist here regarding torturing new guitars to provide the illusion that they are genuinely old and original. Could we take up a petition and ask the makers to stop doing that? Imagine if animals were treated that way?  Wait, they used to dock dogs tails and clip their ears (there's an old song about that) but at least they didn't scar them from their nose to their tailbone. So beat up animals are not popular, but guitars are-why? Can someone design a colorful poster about preventing cruelty to new guitars to make them look old and beaten? Maybe bring old Robert Crumb out of retirement. As Cato might have said in the Roman Senate, this has got to stop!

I have a 16 lb Terrier. She has her full tail and non clipped ears. 

I did play a T M Abused Guitar and it did sound really good, but at 8k you can suck it Cesar if you think I’m gonna but a new guitar that is fake abused.

I’m actually a retired Coast Guard Senior Chief. If you can’t tell I’m a Beatles fan. Zappa to, so there is that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What 13 year old has a turntable?

My daughter has had her phonograph since she was 8, but thankfully she's not into "Tay Tay".  Her vinyl collection consists of classic rock (AC/DC, KISS, VH, REO, Journey, Styx, SRV, BOC, Sabbath/Ozzy, Dio, Stones, Rush, Tull, Yes), '80's hair bands ( Crue, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Metallica, Tesla, Whitesnake, Poison, Extreme),  Meatloaf, ELO, Elton John, Miss "Dolly P", Bocephus, 5 Finger Death Punch, Korn, Zac Brown, Zach Bryan, Toby Keith, Johnny Cash and MJ's Thriller.  (She's defiantly my kid!) 

nFx2ksc.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

My daughter has had her phonograph since she was 8, but thankfully she's not into "Tay Tay".  Her vinyl collection consists of classic rock (AC/DC, KISS, VH, REO, Journey, Styx, SRV, BOC, Sabbath/Ozzy, Dio, Stones, Rush, Tull, Yes), '80's hair bands ( Crue, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Metallica, Tesla, Whitesnake, Poison, Extreme),  Meatloaf, ELO, Elton John, Miss "Dolly P", Bocephus, 5 Finger Death Punch, Korn, Zac Brown, Zach Bryan, Toby Keith, Johnny Cash and MJ's Thriller.  (She's defiantly my kid!) 

nFx2ksc.jpg

I hope she’s a Close The Edge/Relayer Yes fan, and not a 90210 Yes fan. If it’s the latter there is work to do.

I used to sing Owner Of Some Moldy Cheese, when they had that big hit on the radio.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I hope she’s a Close The Edge/Relayer Yes fan, and not a 90210 Yes fan

Funny you said that because she HATES 90210. She says it is too harsh and "tech heavy". She said she, "only likes the Yes with "ringing coke bottles" who sang about Chess. Not their Hollywood crap".  (She is the same way about Rush. Everything before Signals works for her. Signals is love/hate for her. She dislikes G under P and PW, just like 90210) 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Funny you said that because she HATES 90210. She says it is too harsh and "tech heavy". She said she, "only likes the Yes with "ringing coke bottles" who sang about Chess. Not their Hollywood crap".  (She is the same way about Rush. Everything before Signals works for her. Signals is love/hate for her. She dislikes G under P and PW, just like 90210) 

Signals is where I had enough. Then Geddy played even more Synths. It was years and years after that till I cound get into Rush again. As much as I hated these albums I saw Rush on PW and G/P. Signals Rush forgot the Bay Area existed and didn’t tour there. So I didn’t have to worry about going or not.

Remember alone is no adventure.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you stay here long enough you will learn I’m one of the most hated guys here. I express my opinions which is now frowned upon in the USA. I can’t believe I haven’t been cancelled here.

Don’t stop! 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, B.T. said:

Don’t stop! 

Oh, I won’t. I’ve been banned a few times. Been here since about 2013 or so. I’ve had a few different stage names (Trad Pro II, FZ Fan, D-28, Little Feat, and now Sgt.) the main gripe here is, I’m on a Gibson forum, but you don’t own any Gibsons. Yet, I have owned at least 15 that I can recall.  When Henry J (who was CEO of Gibson 2 CEO’s back) was ousted for nearly bankrupting the company, and making bad and very poor business decisions and overextending the company, I had enough. I sold my last two Gibson’s and I kept nothing but my Martin’s

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Are you playing only acoustic by intention or by circumstance? I’ve been pretty much acoustic only for the past 4 or 5 years by circumstance 

really love electric though and wanna get more back into it 

Just now, Dub-T-123 said:

Are you playing only acoustic by intention or by circumstance? I’ve been pretty much acoustic only for the past 4 or 5 years by circumstance 

really love electric though and wanna get more back into it 

I got fed up with electric’s. Maybe not fed up. But I got tired of plugging into an amp and then fiddling for half an hour to try to get some kind of a tone that I liked. I said screwing it, and said I’ll play acoustics. All I have to do is take it out of the case, and tune it. Whenever I go over to my friends house and strap on one of his electric guitars, I plug in for about five minutes, and I’m bored with it. And then I want to play his Martin 000-15 cause I don’t have one. 

I miss playing electric guitars as much as I miss seeing Taylor Swift live - not at all.

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 11:06 PM, Sheepdog1969 said:

nFx2ksc.jpg

What headphones is she rocking? I have a nice pair of Sennheisers. When I was a kid I had Koss headphones.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got fed up with electric’s. Maybe not fed up. But I got tired of plugging into an amp and then fiddling for half an hour to try to get some kind of a tone that I liked. I said screwing it, and said I’ll play acoustics. All I have to do is take it out of the case, and tune it. Whenever I go over to my friends house and strap on one of his electric guitars, I plug in for about five minutes, and I’m bored with it. And then I want to play his Martin 000-15 cause I don’t have one. 

I miss playing electric guitars as much as I miss seeing Taylor Swift live - not at all.

That’s kinda sad because I feel like with a better amp you could have more fun. Blues Jrs and Hot Rods suck no matter what the internet says…

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

That’s kinda sad because I feel like with a better amp you could have more fun. Blues Jrs and Hot Rods suck no matter what the internet says…

I had a Fender DeVille 2 x12, Blues Jr, Hot Rod Dlx and a Mesa Trans Atlantic  TA-15 head into a 1 x 12 with a Weber Speaker. Pretty crappy stuff. The DeVille and Blues Jr were USA made. The Mesa too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I know those are all lauded on the internet but I pretty much hate em except the Mesa coincidentally. I only have guitar center experience on that one though. 

the blues jr and hot rods are both fakers and you can just see it on the schematics honestly but in practice I dislike them 

Edited by Dub-T-123

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I know those are all lauded on the internet but I pretty much hate em except the Mesa coincidentally. I only have guitar experience on that one though. 

the blues jr and hot rods are both fakers and you can just see it on the schematics honestly but in practice I dislike them 

Fender does one thing well - clean tone. The DeVille at 60 watts was deafening. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Those amps had a disgusting op amp driven reverb and distortion. The horror. But they actually do sound like **** and they have the worst volume control of all time. People say they take pedals well… They’re harsh and sharp with the hot rods and tiny and boxy with the blues jrs. Don’t care what anyone says

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Those amps had a disgusting op amp driven reverb and distortion. The horror. But they actually do sound like **** and they have the worst volume control of all time. People say they take pedals well… They’re harsh and sharp with the hot rods and tiny and boxy with the blues jrs. Don’t care what anyone says

The OD/Distortion or whatever we call it on those 3 I had, I hated. 

At 4 on the DeVille my neighbors 10 houses down could hear me.

I remember I was still on terminal leave from the Coast Guard and I was working for Norfolk Southern railroad and I was making money handover fist and I looked around in my bedroom one day and I had either 11 or 13 guitars in there and I said to myself, what in the hell is wrong with me. I’m not Rick Nielsen, and I started selling stuff.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Loud and useless volume control is one thing. Good amp is different. 

I know you’re an expert of electronics. I really would love for you to build a nice amp from scratch and I would make and ship you a really nice cabinet for free if you want to do that

Just now, Dub-T-123 said:

Loud and useless volume control is one thing. Good amp is different. 

I know you’re an expert of electronics. I really would love for you to build a nice amp from scratch and I would make and ship you a really nice cabinet for free if you want to do that

The Mesa was killer. It had a switch to go from 5w/15w/25w. I left it on 5w most of the time.

2 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Yeah that mesa is definitely the best out of the 3 you mentioned but that can’t be the end of your amp quest 

I’m open to a free electric guitar and amp if anyone wants to send me one. Henry was booted in what about 2017? So for 7 years I’ve had no electrics. Not a day goes by that I regret or miss it.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Dude wtf how do you play music and not miss the stretchy electric stuff?

Don’t get me wrong I love electric guitars that are recorded but I’m not gonna play them. I like the fact that if I’m gonna go somewhere, all I need to do is grab one case, and in that case, I can stick a capo, strings, picks, and a tuner and a way I go.

You have been to the acoustic section of the forum right? You know there’s dudes there with like collections of 100 acoustic guitars, and some of them don’t have electrics either.

I don’t think I’m unique in not owning any electrics.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper