Gibson Brands Forums

Please Just No

It's funny in a way;

I can't name a single Grateful Dead song. 

And I also can't name a single Taylor Swift song.

So if I listen to her Workingman's Dead tribute album, will that be like crossing the streams in the Ghostbusters movie?
Would the world end??

😐

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, sparquelito said:

It's funny in a way;

So if I listen to her Workingman's Dead tribute album, will that be like crossing the streams in the Ghostbusters movie?
Would the world end??

😐

can't name a single Taylor Swift song.

you don't have grandkids do you??

ah well then

perhaps just "Shake it off..."

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, kidblast said:

can't name a single Taylor Swift song.

you don't have grandkids do you??

ah well then

perhaps just "Shake it off..."

I do have an 18 year old granddaughter. 
She graduates high school in May, and I'll be down in Florida to be there with her. 
I think she's going off to the Navy to become a nurse after that. 

She's pretty much a fan of Charlie Parker and Chet Baker. 
It's weird. 

😐

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rct said:

This is beyond First World Problem, I don't even think there is a name for this crisis.

rct

It’s call Swifty Stupid. WTF does she know are care about a band that was/is the polar opposite of her garage? Can you see some 13 year old and her mom trippin on LSD listening to T S covering Dire Wolf or Black Peter? Laughable.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, she’s smoking hot, and yes she can sing, but I hate her music, and it’s the most annoying stuff I’ve ever heard in my life. You can tell me how much she’s worth. You can tell me how many album sales she has. You can tell me she’s touring the world and making billions but that doesn’t mean her music resonates with me one iota. It’s for 13-year-old girls and their moms who can afford $500 tix.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It’s call Swifty Stupid. WTF does she know are care about a band that was/is the polar opposite of her garage? Can you see some 13 year old and her mom trippin on LSD listening to T S covering Dire Wolf or Black Peter? Laughable.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, she’s smoking hot, and yes she can sing, but I hate her music, and it’s the most annoying stuff I’ve ever heard in my life. You can tell me how much she’s worth. You can tell me how many album sales she has. You can tell me she’s touring the world and making billions but that doesn’t mean her music resonates with me one iota it’s for 13-year-old girls and their moms.

13 year old girls and their moms might buy a few million Dead records, can't complain about that.  Well, whoever is left and the estates of the rest of that band can't complain.  And every time  Taylors Version of Sugar Magnolia spins the Dead get paid too.  Win Win!

rct

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, rct said:

13 year old girls and their moms might buy a few million Dead records, can't complain about that.  Well, whoever is left and the estates of the rest of that band can't complain.  And every time  Taylors Version of Sugar Magnolia spins the Dead get paid too.  Win Win!

rct

Sugar Magnolia is not on Workingman’s Dead. Bob Weir’s net worth is 60 million. What’s a fraction of a penny from Spotify royalties to him?

Hey Bob you’re now worth 60 million and 5/300ths of a cent. You can finally go to Taco Bell and afford that bean burrito you always wanted.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Sugar Magnolia is not on Workingman’s Dead. Bob Weir’s net worth is 60 million. What’s a fraction of a penny from Spotify royalties to him?

Hey Bob you’re now worth 60 million and 5/300ths of a cent. You can finally go to Taco Bell and afford that bean burrito you always wanted.

He won't care.

rct

Sarge, just quietly man, you do know this was just an April Fools Day stitch-up right? (same with the tone plastics thing you posted)

...just saying cos friends don't let friends suffer such miseries indefinitely....no matter how funny [smile]

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Sarge, just quietly man, you do know this was just an April Fools Day stitch-up right? (same with the tone plastics thing you posted)

...just saying cos friends don't let friends suffer such miseries indefinitely....no matter how funny [smile]

Yeah, but the one thing that is not an April Fools Joke is 20k reliced guitars. That I can prove. 

That is as rct says is a real First World Problem.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Reissue-Limited-Edition-Murphy-Lab-Aged-With-Brazilian-Rosewood-Exclusive-94205/Murphy-Burst

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 8:58 PM, sparquelito said:

It's funny in a way;

Would the world end??

😐

If you played 10 female artists all with similar voices like her I could not pick her out. And as I have stated, she can sing, but it’s a scoop of vanilla. It needs Bosco chocolate syrup on top of it to be any good.

But you damn well know it’s Joni Mitchell when you hear a song of hers you never heard before.

Sparky I can’t name a T S song either, so your not alone.

What 13 year old girl is buying vinyl copies of her albums at Wallyworld for $45 a pop? What 13 year old has a turntable?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The only Taylor swift song I can name was her breakout hit “Teardrops on my Guitar”

That was sorta right before MTV stopped doing music, so I initially saw it from her music video on MTV

I think she is very attractive and talented and she’s very good at catering to her massive audience of which I am not part of

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The only Taylor swift song I can name was her breakout hit “Teardrops on my Guitar”

That was sorta right before MTV stopped doing music, so I initially saw it from her music video on MTV

I think she is very attractive and talented and she’s very good at catering to her massive audience of which I am not part of

Taylor could come on stage in overalls and Red Wing boots, and sit on a stool for 2 hours, and not move, and 13 year old girls, and their moms would still pay $500 to see her. 

The crazy nut job Taylor-mania is the same as Beatle-mania. Why did it happen to them, and why is it happening to her? Who knows? It connects with some people, and with some people it just doesn’t, and I am one of the - it doesn’t.

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah, but the one thing that is not an April Fools Joke is 20k reliced guitars. That I can prove. 

That is as rct says is a real First World Problem.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Reissue-Limited-Edition-Murphy-Lab-Aged-With-Brazilian-Rosewood-Exclusive-94205/Murphy-Burst

So, all the hoopla was about an April Fool's day Spoof? What isn't a spoof is that Beyonce` did a C&W album and her cover of Dolly Parton's Jolene  has outsold the original. WTF? 

If I may share sentiments on the Aged, Relics, and lightly vs. heavily distressed guitars, I believe its an affectation, an anomaly, or even a aberration.  To me, deliberately building a fine instrument, then beating the hell out of it, gouging and scratching off the finish to artificially make it look old, is an abomination.   The old originals didn't look that way until they had been on the road for decades, were played to death, and had paid their dues in full. I deeply respect those tired and worn old originals because they've earned it.  Those ersatz fakes are imposters made to look old right down to the new-old stock pieces that they carry.  The price tags for these tortured new/old examples encourage yet more of them to be created.  Given how devious some folks are,  is the real plan here to bring out these imposters in a few years and then try to pass them off as classic old originals? I suppose the ID markings are supposed to prevent that kind of larceny but if you've already got the "look" what's to keep someone from making some slight alterations (including stripping down the guitar and it's guts) and making changes that will convince some people to buy them as genuinely old and they get conned. The relic look phenomenon is one that I hope goes away soon because again, they dishonor and disrespect the rare original survivors. Making copies of old classics is noble and in several decades, they will have earned their rightful place among players and guitar collectors. I saw a Strat yesterday that looked so heavily relic-ed (on Facebook) that I left a comment describing it as looking like it had come from an archaeological dig perhaps from ruins as in the Planet of the Apes movie in it's post Apocalyptic state. Maybe I just don't get it, but this is one trend that I hope I never do. Just my two centavos worth on a disturbing current guitar trend. Thanks for allowing me to comment.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

When I buy a new car, the first thing I do when I get home is put on combat boots and kick in the quarter panels and doors to age it. Same with guitars, laughable.

And people pay extra. Thats that best part. Don’t make a guitar that looks new, and make it sound killer. You have to make it, and then beat the living fuk out of it, and then and only then does it sound good, and charge three times what a new unbeaten one costs. One born every minute.

Gibson is laughing all the way to the bank, and you help them to achieve that goal.

Hey Cesar, we just made a guitar that retails for $2000. We dragged it behind a car for an hour and now we’re gonna charge 10,000 and someone’s paying for it. This is a great country or what.

And yes, I know Martin is doing the whole distressed relic thing too, but one of those will never come in my house.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, John Shiflet said:

If I may share sentiments on the Aged, Relics, and lightly vs. heavily distressed guitars, I believe its an affectation, an anomaly, or even a aberration.  To me, deliberately building a fine instrument, then beating the hell out of it, gouging and scratching off the finish to artificially make it look old, is an abomination.   The old originals didn't look that way until they had been on the road for decades, were played to death, and had paid their dues in full. I deeply respect those tired and worn old originals because they've earned it.  Those ersatz fakes are imposters made to look old right down to the new-old stock pieces that they carry.  The price tags for these tortured new/old examples encourage yet more of them to be created.  Given how devious some folks are,  is the real plan here to bring out these imposters in a few years and then try to pass them off as classic old originals? I suppose the ID markings are supposed to prevent that kind of larceny but if you've already got the "look" what's to keep someone from making some slight alterations (including stripping down the guitar and it's guts) and making changes that will convince some people to buy them as genuinely old and they get conned. The relic look phenomenon is one that I hope goes away soon because again, they dishonor and disrespect the rare original survivors. Making copies of old classics is noble and in several decades, they will have earned their rightful place among players and guitar collectors. I saw a Strat yesterday that looked so heavily relic-ed (on Facebook) that I left a comment describing it as looking like it had come from an archaeological dig perhaps from ruins as in the Planet of the Apes movie in it's post Apocalyptic state. Maybe I just don't get it, but this is one trend that I hope I never do. Just my two centavos worth on a disturbing current guitar trend. Thanks for allowing me to comment.

Agreed! While I buy my guitars to play - I make every effort to keep them polished and looking nice. I’ll never forget the sickening feeling I got watching the finish of my “74” strat crack after taking it out of a cold guitar case in a warm room. I followed all the protocols of letting the case and guitar acclimate in the warmth for hours after traveling  in sub zero temperatures. Unfortunately I didn’t wait long enough. 
I  had that axe for 38 years or so and even with the cracks it still looked pretty good when I traded it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

All good. You'll find the road from Umbrage to High Dudgeon is scattered with many churches. 

I've been left in High Dudgeon many times.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I buy a new car, the first thing I do when I get home is put on combat boots and kick in the quarter panels and doors to age it. Same with guitars, laughable.

And people pay extra. Thats that best part. Don’t make a guitar that looks new, and make it sound killer. You have to make it, and then beat the living fuk out of it, and then and only then does it sound good, and charge three times what a new unbeaten one costs. One born every minute.

Gibson is laughing all the way to the bank, and you guy help them to achieve that goal.

Hey Cesar, we just made a guitar that retails for $2000. We dragged it behind a car for an hour and now we’re gonna charge 10,000 and someone’s paying for it. This is a great country or what.

With your wicked sense of humor (I really laughed, thanks!) you should be promoted to Captain Pepper.  A strange sense of consensus seems to exist here regarding torturing new guitars to provide the illusion that they are genuinely old and original. Could we take up a petition and ask the makers to stop doing that? Imagine if animals were treated that way?  Wait, they used to dock dogs tails and clip their ears (there's an old song about that) but at least they didn't scar them from their nose to their tailbone. So beat up animals are not popular, but guitars are-why? Can someone design a colorful poster about preventing cruelty to new guitars to make them look old and beaten? Maybe bring old Robert Crumb out of retirement. As Cato might have said in the Roman Senate, this has got to stop!

20 minutes ago, John Shiflet said:

With your wicked sense of humor (I really laughed, thanks!) you should be promoted to Captain Pepper.  A strange sense of consensus seems to exist here regarding torturing new guitars to provide the illusion that they are genuinely old and original. Could we take up a petition and ask the makers to stop doing that? Imagine if animals were treated that way?  Wait, they used to dock dogs tails and clip their ears (there's an old song about that) but at least they didn't scar them from their nose to their tailbone. So beat up animals are not popular, but guitars are-why? Can someone design a colorful poster about preventing cruelty to new guitars to make them look old and beaten? Maybe bring old Robert Crumb out of retirement. As Cato might have said in the Roman Senate, this has got to stop!

If you stay here long enough you will learn I’m one of the most hated guys here. I express my opinions which is now frowned upon in the USA. I can’t believe I haven’t been cancelled here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did see a guy take out a ball peen hammer and intentionally put a small dent in the lower part of the driver side front fender of his brand new car. I asked him what on earth he was doing - he simply told me it's his "lucky dent".  He figured it would happen somewhere / sometime and he might as well be the one that did it. True story!

• Like 1