Gibson Brands Forums

Slide on "Melissa"?

wicked1

So Homz called me on his way to work to ask me who played slide on "Melissa" by the Allman Brothers. Gee, I thought this would be easy to figure out. I was wrong!

The credits I am reading show Duane as the only slide guitar player on Eat a Peach. But then I read that while Gregg wrote the song before Duane died, it wasn't recorded until after his death.

I know somebody around here knows something....!

My understanding is that the "other" guitar player that finished out the Eat A Peach album was Les Dudek.

Was he credited on the album or no? Cause I don't remember reading that name anywhere in reference to the album.

Thanks for the info, though!

No, he was not credited anywhere. Who's going to credit a guitar player that replaced Duane, it was a situation of "we've got to finish this album" (because Duane died). I think if you do your research, you'll find your answer.

My understanding is that the "other" guitar player that finished out the Eat A Peach album was Les Dudek.

Nope. All I've ever heard was that it was Dickey Betts that finished the album and played the lead on that song. Betts even did some lead vocals on the album.

The last three songs on the album featured both Duane and Dickey ("Stand Back"' date=' "Blue Sky", "Little Martha") on guitars.

If you want to hear what it might have sounded like with Duane check this out:

This is the demo that they recorded for the song which finally ended up on the "Eat A Peach" album. The song was written in '67-'68 time frame.

MReynolds...that's what I was thinking just from looking at the timeline. I read in several places that Betts finished the album, but there's no credit as playing slide guitar, so I wasn't sure. All I could find in reference to Les Dudek was from him playing on Brothers & Sisters. Seems like he was with another band at the time Eat a Peach was done.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure Homz will appreciate it when he gets home in the morning.

wicked 1, I hope he enjoys it. Here's a little bit taken from Les Dudek's site: "Then, on October 29th, 1971, the unthinkable occurred - a fellow Florida musician, Duane Allman was killed in a motorcycle accident. At the time, Les was playing with bandmate Peter Schless, a keyboard player from Venice, Florida in their band Power. Peter knew Dickey Betts and had heard he was looking for players. So Les and Peter drove to Macon, Georgia to jam with Dickey. A few weeks after returning to Florida, Les was called back to Georgia. As a result, Les was invited to record with The Allman Brothers Band. That's Les you hear playing guitar harmonies with Dickey Betts on "Ramblin' Man" and the intro acoustic guitar on "Jessica", their two biggest hits from the Brothers and Sisters album (Capricorn Records)."

So you see, even on Les' site it shows he wasn't playing with the ABB until the Brothers and Sisters album.

Off the top of my head' date=' I can't think of any slide guitar in Melissa :-$ I'm pretty sure thats Dicky playing those melodic lines, but doesn't sound like slide to me, just nice bending.[/quote']

I don't believe he had any slide on it...just volume swells.

Ye:) And just got started on slide' date=' Dust My Broom is more or less the first complete song I learned on slide, hence my name:D[/quote']

Cool, that was one of the first I learned on the slide, too. Open G (DGDGBD), but I think it's "supposed" to be open E.

Archived