Gibson Brands Forums

D-D-Day

E-minor7

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Well...she bought that Dove for me back about 1980, when we didn't have a pot....(if you know what I mean).

Yea, , , fine story - it's no ordinary Dove. . 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 6:57 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I prefer Bojangle’s or Popeye’s chicken.

We have Barberton Chicken about 1/2 hour down the road.  The same family has been offering it since the early-1930s.  Both the chicken and the hot sauce are a little slice of heaven on earth.  

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

We have Barberton Chicken about 1/2 hour down the road.  The same family has been offering it since the early-1930s.  Both the chicken and the hot sauce are a little slice of heaven on earth.  

Hard pickin' chicken' nowadays - have the feeling they are pumped with flavor enhancer, chemistry & steroids.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 10:42 PM, E-minor7 said:

Hard pickin' chicken' nowadays - have the feeling they are pumped with flavor enhancer, chemistry & steroids.

Cooking in lard as opposed to oil will hide a host of sins. 

On 5/1/2024 at 9:42 PM, E-minor7 said:

If you have a high end grocery around you, a co-op/whole foods type place, or farmer’s market look to see if they carry a line of  “pasture raised” chicken/eggs . Makes a real difference. 

Raised in fresh air, running around and forging all day, fed clean diets of varied grains, they lead generally happy normal chicken lives.  They taste like the real, succulent chicken from when we were kids (if you were born around or before the Eisenhower era.)  

Note: This is different than free-range.  While marginally better than tiny boxes, just means thousands of birds are outside of cages but crammed in a barn a block long.  They might open side panels open for some fresh air, for the ones on the edges, but those chickens are still fed a uniform corn/meat byproduct-based feed to promote super fast growth so they can be harvested before they can get sick from the living conditions.  

Course the good stuff is expensive, but we think it’s worth it for the flavor and supporting small family farms.   

If no pasture raised is available, stores probably have  “air-chilled” and/or organic.  It’s really the feed and processing that makes all the difference in taste/texture.  Those can still taste better than normal factory processed chicken.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

If you have a high end grocery around you, a co-op/whole foods type place, or farmer’s market look to see if they carry a line of  “pasture raised” chicken/eggs . Makes a real difference. 

Raised in fresh air, running around and forging all day, fed clean diets of varied grains, they lead generally happy normal chicken lives.  They taste like the real, succulent chicken from when we were kids (if you were born around or before the Eisenhower era.)  

Note: This is different than free-range.  While marginally better than tiny boxes, just means thousands of birds are outside of cages but crammed in a barn a block long.  They might open side panels open for some fresh air, for the ones on the edges, but those chickens are still fed a uniform corn/meat byproduct-based feed to promote super fast growth so they can be harvested before they can get sick from the living conditions.  

Course the good stuff is expensive, but we think it’s worth it for the flavor and supporting small family farms.   

If no pasture raised is available, stores probably have  “air-chilled” and/or organic.  It’s really the feed and processing that makes all the difference in taste/texture.  Those can still taste better than normal factory processed chicken.   

Thanx for the insight - the shops around here have at least 3-4 types of eggs - several de luxe - which I always go for. 
That said, I once worked in a farmland-museum (believe it or not) and there they had the most wonderful cock & hen family with an absolutely sublime environment for a blooming life. The cock himself - a little crazy - would jump up where I sat and ate lunch alone outdoors. Apparently an ordinary move for him - but pretty mindblowing to have that 'person' on the table while trying to relax in the mid-break. 

The day came where some eggs should be tasted. All employees gathered - I deliberately only used butter on the bread, not even salt, to get full taste-contact with the supernatural natural eggs. Have to say : They tasted almost neutral - and nothing like what was remembered from my childhood. Don't know if the special breed of 'vintage feather-creatures' had stolen away the flavor. Simply drained the DNA for taste. 

What really bothers me is the fact that the boosted chickens can't bear their own weight and collapse on the enormous industrial farm-hall-floors. Or the rumor about them breaking their bones in order to keep up with the egg-production speed. Admit the thought drives me nuts.

Now back to the other winged souls - and this pic was shown before but cleans the air. 

sdcvxHp.jpg

Btw. - have a pigeon nest on the balcony. They sneaked their way into the climbing bush. Can't go out there - must obey nature. The mother-p clearly is in a cozmic trance.                                                                                                                                                                   

That scene drives me a little nuts too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

sdcvxHp.jpg

One of the nicer Doves I've seen.

I've said before, I'm not a fan of the red stain on Doves, 'Birds....but that's just my opinion.

The natural top just sets this guitar apart from others!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Thanx for the insight - the shops around here have at least 3-4 types of eggs - several de luxe - which I always go for. 
That said, I once worked in a farmland-museum (believe it or not) and there they had the most wonderful cock & hen family with an absolutely sublime environment for a blooming life. The cock himself - a little crazy - would jump up where I sat and ate lunch alone outdoors. Apparently an ordinary move for him - but pretty mindblowing to have that 'person' on the table while trying to relax in the mid-break. 

The day came where some eggs should be tasted. All employees gathered - I deliberately only used butter on the bread, not even salt, to get full taste-contact with the supernatural natural eggs. Have to say : They tasted almost neutral - and nothing like what was remembered from my childhood. Don't know if the special breed of 'vintage feather-creatures' had stolen away the flavor. Simply drained the DNA for taste. 

What really bothers me is the fact that the boosted chickens can't bear their own weight and collapse on the enormous industrial farm-hall-floors. Or the rumor about them breaking their bones in order to keep up with the egg-production speed. Admit the thought drives me nuts.

Now back to the other winged souls - and this pic was shown before but cleans the air. 

sdcvxHp.jpg

Btw. - have a pigeon nest on the balcony. They sneaked their way into the climbing bush. Can't go out there - must obey nature. The mother-p clearly is in a cozmic trance.                                                                                                                                                                   

That scene drives me a little nuts too.

Oh that’s a good looking Dove.  Thanks for lightening this bit of the thread.  I agree with everything you are saying.  

I’m sorry the egg experiment didn’t turn out as expected.  The folks who got our eggs with their bright yellow yolks, loved them.  Assuming the historic site birds were still fed some sort of feed in addition to foraging,  I wonder if it was corn-based? The name brand commercial preps usually are. Ours was a local mix of whole grains. They got corn cobs occasionally, just for treats. 

One amusing thing that set us apart from other firms, for a while, our employees  got an “eggs and hamburger” benefit/perk.  When we bought our place it came with a dozen chickens (so a dozen eggs a day) and we once bought a 1/4 beef from our rancher neighbor not understanding how many 100s of pounds of ground was involved 😆. We’re just two people! So the staff could raid the fridge and freezer whenever they wanted. 

Anyway, unlike most farm birds, these ones being tended by misplaced city folks, ours all got to live out their natural chicken lives even after they stopped laying.  They were amazingly fun pets.  We didn’t realize though they can live 10-12 years.

Our rooster was so mellow, he actually liked to be picked up and held.  Unlike some roosters, who can be a dangerous problem, he never bothered his girls.  If he tried to get frisky with them, they’d just give him a look and sidestep, and he’d start pecking around as if to say, “oh no! Not me! I wasn’t trying anything!”  He would always find treats and excitedly bring them over to give the gals. He was a good boy.  

When the last old girl was all alone, we realized she was afraid to cross the big yard to her loafing bush, so every morning one of us would stroll across the yard with her, where she would settle in safe from the hawks, etc.  In the afternoon, we’d fetch her back and she’d cluck and chortle all the way, like she was telling us about her day.  They were really great birds. 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Anyway, unlike most farm birds, these ones being tended by misplaced city folks, ours all got to live out their natural chicken lives even after they stopped laying.  They were amazingly fun pets.  We didn’t realize though they can live 10-12 years.

. . . . . 👍

Thanx a lot for that insight - you really know what we are talking about, I don't.

But here's the actual vintage semi-crazy cock ~JHzdsmE.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

One of the nicer Doves I've seen.

I've said before, I'm not a fan of the red stain on Doves, 'Birds....but that's just my opinion.

The natural top just sets this guitar apart from others!

Neither I am too fond of the cherry red back-sides-neck - would prefer the tomato-hue. This is however a straight looking 1996 Dove, , , which sounds amaziiing.
                                                              And visually blends fine with the other flyers around it. . 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

. . . . . 👍

Thanx a lot for that insight - you really know what we are talking about, I don't.

But here's the actual vintage semi-crazy cock ~JHzdsmE.jpg

Well, he’s a good lookin’ fella! Very Handsome.  I hear some roosters can be a handful, that’s why we were so lucky we just fell into  “big guy.” He was just kinda the Zonker Harris of chickens.  I swear his crow was “Cock-a-dooodle-duuuuuude!”

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Well, he’s a good lookin’ fella! Very Handsome.

Sure, , , and this is better view to the tremendous feather coat. 

Easy to see he's pretty heavy company ~ ygnMkWk.jpg

But the proud rooster was never really aggressive.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Neither I am too fond of the cherry red back-sides-neck - would prefer the tomato-hue. This is however a straight looking 1996 Dove, , , which sounds amaziiing.
                                                              And visually blends fine with the other flyers around it. . 

I can appreciate the beauty of the cherry red finish.....I just prefer a "honey-burst', or better yet....natural maple.

I simply LOVE Prairie's DIF color....that burst is to die for!

I doubt I'd have bought Leslie's 12-String had it been cherry red.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I can appreciate the beauty of the cherry red finish.....I just prefer a "honey-burst', or better yet....natural maple.

I simply LOVE Prairie's DIF color....that burst is to die for!

I doubt I'd have bought Leslie's 12-String had it been cherry red.

Nod, I’ve seen Autumn Burst on a couple other models and it always turns my head… I’ll try to remember to put you in my will, Danville 😁

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Nod, I’ve seen Autumn Burst on a couple other models and it always turns my head… I’ll try to remember to put you in my will, Danville 😁

Just keep me in mind if you ever plan to sell it...although I have no more room for guitars.....I might sell a couple of electric guitars I have to fit in in the closet.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Just keep me in mind if you ever plan to sell it...although I have no more room for guitars.....I might sell a couple of electric guitars I have to fit in in the closet.

To be clear, not laughing at you, laughing with you, 😄

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

It’s 2024, guitars can come out of the closet. What does it identify as . . . a bass, uke, acoustic or electric? Does it have a pronoun it likes to be called?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It’s 2024, guitars can come out of the closet. What does it identify as . . . a bass, uke, acoustic or electric? Does it have a pronoun it likes to be called?

Mine identify is children's guitars!   (because they are).

Here....you can see how I store my guitars:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Ummm, not to cause trouble in the closet but just wandered by this ….https://willcuttguitars.com/products/gibson-doves-in-flight-autumnburst-079-ssdfabm2m0734-23123079?variant=41637705449531&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&srsltid=AfmBOoql-Vt1Dr0xFUF13I_jmCbpAH1ln2Ihvql0jbnIyq2DD0jP01ZjFlo

5 hours ago, Dave F said:

I'm surprised at the lack of flame on the back on that one at Willcut

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Beautiful…..but NOT $9K beautiful!

True, re: the grain on the back- almost goes to birdseye,  the straight-ish maple grain is unique, though. But, to paraphrase DanvillRob, not $9K unique. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Dave F said:

I'm surprised at the lack of flame on the back on that one at Willcut

Wow, yours is rich looking! 

I agree about the Willicutt one.  Here is the back of mine… the first one shows the true color, but the next one shows the flame a bit better. Hard to capture.

wyWDPri.jpg

wmTqb7i.jpg

And  for a flame alternate to 9k, here is our bargain basement, but top of the line, ‘38 Cromwell  (Gibson) 😁 (I actually didn’t really even notice it was flame till I went looking  my Dove and nearly grabbed this one, but thought something looked off 😆)

DYP9uJY.jpg

Edited by PrairieDog