Gibson Brands Forums

D-D-Day

E-minor7

EM, mine is a 2020 Heritage Artisan Aged 535 in Ebony. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH55s. It’s a warm classic bucker sound. I love it. It has a nice classic sound; sometimes I get Gretsch-y tone out of it… like compressed old POCO, and sometimes just some good slightly driven blues. Warm blues.  And it has a nice fat clean tone as well.

i don’t go on any electric forums, because that’s just a rabbit hole I don’t need! I also have a Mexican tele that does its job. But the Heritage is great. I went in with the aim of buying a translucent red ES335, and this one sounded just as good, but it was used, so I saved a few bucks.

You can see it on the end here.

HyM9DYRh.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

EM, mine is a 2020 Heritage Artisan Aged 535 in Ebony. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH55s. It’s a warm classic bucker sound. I love it. It has a nice classic sound; sometimes I get Gretsch-y tone out of it… like compressed old POCO, and sometimes just some good slightly driven blues. Warm blues.  And it has a nice fat clean tone as well.

i don’t go on any electric forums, because that’s just a rabbit hole I don’t need! I also have a Mexican tele that does its job. But the Heritage is great. I went in with the aim of buying a translucent red ES335, and this one sounded just as good, but it was used, so I saved a few bucks.

You can see it on the end here.

HyM9DYRh.jpg

My buddy has a Heritage ES-335 clone, he told me it’s the one guitar he would run into his house for if it was on fire.

What are the 2 Martins? One looks like a D-15, and one looks like a 000-28.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

Not much we see of it here - but you should post some el-sounds when the stars stand right. 

As mentioned mine is from a relatively new batch over there, which means is has the T-type Calibrated pick-ups - a nod to the second wave from between approx 1967 and 80. Some say they are too bright, , , must be the people who don't think the vintage 335s can get too muddy (or can't control their knobs). Well, , , it's quite a field to dig into - especially the original PAFs, which some are 'religious' about, , , though those pups don't have any general voice at all.

Remembering the profound wisdom in einmal est keinmal (ein est kein [biggrin]), I started out with 2 and jammed away some 10 days plus/minus New Year. The other one was a 2022 that came up much softer or less potent - tempted to say m y s t e r i o u s. 

After a lot of mind'n'soul-pendul-swinging, the strong creature stayed. 
 22 - 20  ajK9Lmx.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

The one that looks like an 000-28 is a custom with cherry back and sides and maple binding. Otherwise same specs as an 000-28. It’s called The Cherry Hill 

My pants just got tight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The 2020 just after landing > PLAY ! LOUD

which means new steel

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

The 2020 just after landing > PLAY ! LOUD
                                                                                                                                                                     which means new steel

It is good to get a reminder that Gibson has some iconic guitars that aren't acoustic, and this is just one of the flavors that the ES-335 can do.

PS: stop having so much fun.

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 62burst said:

It is good to get a reminder that Gibson has some iconic guitars that aren't acoustic, and this is just one of the flavors that the ES-335 can do.

PS: stop having so much fun.

Yes that's right - people with insight say they are among the most versatile el-guitars out there. I'm not of of them, , , but am trying to learn by doin', , , and reading.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Like this vintage-mature-burst semi-hollow peace-axe a lot. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 2:00 AM, E-minor7 said:

As we know the Doves are pretty rare fliers living in an altitude of their own  - and as we also know they are mighty fine guitars, , , not least as recorders.. 

It's good to celebrate the classic 62 once in while. So now now is now, , , and the remarkable difference makes this film special. Check the Quinton & Paul testers doin' their thing. 

And enjoy

Apart from that they don't seem to answer the headline Q - well, , , never mind. . . 

Around 30 years ago, I saw a midnight movie called 'Pure Country on the TV and I had no idea what acoustic guitar the star George Strait was playing in some scenes!!!

Now we do! Dove Cherry Burst! So I rented the movie again last night after it was linked to another show we watched (Friends In Low Places - Garth Brooks).

Movie link:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105191/

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Around 30 years ago, I saw a midnight movie called 'Pure Country on the TV and I had no idea what acoustic guitar the star George Strait was playing in some scenes!!!

Now we do! Dove Cherry Burst! So I rented the movie again last night after it was linked to another show we watched (Friends In Low Places - Garth Brooks).

Movie link:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105191/

Always entertaining to revisit something that impressed in the past - in this case 3 decades ago. Gives a fine impression of how outer'n'inner would moved (or stayed) since then. 

I'm close to saying the orangy-Dove has the tune-o-matic bridge. But what about that pale one in the beginning. . 

• Like 1

Em7, I have been listening some more to your versions on Soundcloud. You mentioned that you tune down and use a capo. How would you say doing so affects the tone? I remember doing it when I was learning bar chords, in order to bring the hand closer to the body and increase my grip strength, but I have never done it to change the tone of a guitar.

Also, I really like the tone of the 335 and your playing!

Lars

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 9:53 AM, Lars68 said:

Em7, I have been listening some more to your versions on Soundcloud. You mentioned that you tune down and use a capo. How would you say doing so affects the tone? I remember doing it when I was learning bar chords, in order to bring the hand closer to the body and increase my grip strength, but I have never done it to change the tone of a guitar.

Also, I really like the tone of the 335 and your playing!

Lars

Thx - trying to learn the 335. It's very inspiring. 

Regarding the tune-down, the effects are exactly what you would expect them to be. The guitar gets looser, more 'friendly' and in severals ways easier to get along with.  Some may find this too laid back, which is not difficult to understand. I dig it, , , but only once in while.

Try it yourself - your guitar is only a few meters away. It'll tell (almost) everything there is to know - then please write back.  🦊

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Thx - trying to learn the 335. It very inspiring. 

Regarding the tune-down, the effects are exactly what you would expect them to be. The guitar gets looser, more 'friendly' and in severals ways easier to get along with.  Some may find this too laid back, which is not difficult to understand. I dig it, , , but only once in while.

Try it yourself - your guitar is only a few meters away. It'll tell (almost) everything there is to know - then please write back.  🦊

Perfect description,  rationale for tuning down.   I've tuned my guitar(s) down a full step for these reasons.  It does confuse some other guitarists you might be playing with. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Perfect description,  rationale for tuning down.   I've tuned my guitar(s) down a full step for these reasons.  It does confuse some other guitarists you might be playing with. 

Yes, sure - it's almost unfair to them. One step down I always avoid playing with no capo, but keep it on the second so they can follow without the annoying math.                                                                                                                                       A plus for all parts, though that too can be disturbing when dropping further to low D, , , , and the 🍷 kicks in.  . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ReHey - here's a go on the 2 maple squares. Kind of the first verse of the Donovan-tune above. Have to say they seem very similar here.

The difference is about 15 to 20 % clearer under live-ear 1 on 1 circumstances. But sure, they are related. . 

The F-bird got 11-52s in April 2021 - D'Addarios 85/15 bronze (simply wanted to dampen it down). The Dove received 12-53s the following year also April - 80/20 bronze J. Pearse.

• Like 1

No 1 is ever do slightly clearer to these ears. No 2 is warmer with more bass. For this song and in this recording, I give the edge to No 1. Wonderful comparison! Is 1 🔥 and 2 Dove?

By the way, tried the tuning down / capo experiment and noticed I lost some warmth to the tone, while making the guitar a little easier to play. Could be great for recording when less bass is needed.

Lars

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lars68 said:

No 1 is ever do slightly clearer to these ears. No 2 is warmer with more bass. For this song and in this recording, I give the edge to No 1. Wonderful comparison! Is 1 🔥 and 2 Dove?

By the way, tried the tuning down / capo experiment and noticed I lost some warmth to the tone, while making the guitar a little easier to play. Could be great for recording when less bass is needed.

Lars

I guess I've found that I  'hear' the bass more in standard,  but 'feel' it more when tuned down with a capo added.  And, yep - easier to play - bend the notes esp.

• Like 1

Well, you all know my love for Doves....and I've told the story of how I got my first Dove which I got about 45 years ago....so I won't bore you all with that story again.

The DIF is just a killer guitar.   I LOVE Dave's DIF and Prairie's DIF is the only one I've ever seen that I would consider nicer than my all natural DIF, (even back & sides).

I've never seen another.....mine is a 2003.

My Tobacco-Burst Dove is a cannon....I love it....I'll use it to record Johnson Blake's "Ballad In A Minor Light" later this week.

PrKlRQu.jpg

kE1hPhz.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Well, you all know my love for Doves....and I've told the story of how I got my first Dove which I got about 45 years ago....so I won't bore you all with that story again.

Something tells me your wife was involved.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Could be wrong. . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Something tells me your wife was involved.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Could be wrong. . 

Well...she bought that Dove for me back about 1980, when we didn't have a pot....(if you know what I mean).

• Thanks 1