Gibson Brands Forums

Fire Stripe pickguard

It's a slow process but I'm gathering options for the 185 pickguard.  I sent the original to Holter and a tracing to Terrapin............still waiting for the Terrapin product but the one from Holter arrived this morning.  While it's very tempting to slap it on there I will wait for the one from Terrapin and  one Dave is kindly making for me in single layer black with the little maltese cross cutout.......patience, Grasshopper.

I have not stuck this one on...........just wanting a look.  The backing is still on there so the translucent areas don't show the guitar finish beneath as it will when properly installed...........

E3SuiiZ.jpeg

Not everyone's cup often, I'm sure, but I do so like to tinker with ****..............

• Like 1

I know everyone’s tastes are different, but the firestripe on that J-185 doesn’t move me. Even imagining the sunburst underneath, the pickguard just looks too busy to me and detracts from what is otherwise a beautiful guitar. The guitar is filled with geometric shapes and the random streaks of the firestripe jostle the senses.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

I know everyone’s tastes are different, but the firestripe on that J-185 doesn’t move me. Even imagining the sunburst underneath, the pickguard just looks too busy to me and detracts from what is otherwise a beautiful guitar. The guitar is filled with geometric shapes and the random streaks of the firestripe jostle the senses.

My thoughts exactly. Much too busy.

23 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

The guitar is filled with geometric shapes and the random streaks of the firestripe jostle the senses.

Part of me feels the same............it is a bit shocking.  But I also realize that the boldness of the streaking will be much toned down when the backing comes off and the finish beneath shows......contrast will be significantly reduced.  Once all options are in hand perhaps it will be the solid black that wins out...............that is a good look.

• Like 1

The stripes are currently too bold in my opinion. Maybe try peeling off the backing and place the guard upside down on the other side to see how it would blend in.  I think it might look really nice!

Edited by chasAK
  • Like 1

FWIW - I was never a fan. But when I got a J45 with a firestripe  - teardrop size-  I really came to prefer it.  Key though, is the blend. Having the colors in the p/g Not Contrast w/ the face and some clear spots where the actual guitar finish blends in.   You're former blue 45 with the Texas logo on the white p/g was a home run, so keep experimenting with your 185. Until YOU'RE happy ! 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

You're former blue 45 with the Texas logo on the white p/g was a home run............

That was a blue Hummingbird, an oddity in itself and the Texas guard made it even more so.  Looking back it was probably the best player I ever owned..........

ZjyPgVq.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1