Gibson Brands Forums

The Roberts Sisters

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wonder if the girls are singing to 20,000 adoring fans at Dolly's amusement park as I type this.

They probably are....and playing their Gibson instruments.

On 5/31/2024 at 1:50 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I knew you were pulling my 3rd leg from the first word. Seriously, can Gibson get another guitar player to be an ambassador? 

We have multiple brand ambassadors. Slash was the first, but he's hardly the only one. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Cute girls.....hope they get want they want.

Now is it only because they are cute they should get what they want?

What about what they need?

I think Mick Jagger said that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jvi said:

this topic wasnt about S, your driveling on in your other 

"topic"

Your right this was about some performers who think because they play Gibson guitars the company is going bend over backwards to give them some sort of deal cause they are major stars no one has heard of who are talent at Dolly Parton’s amusement park? How many here play their guitars and get nothing? Most if not all? If thier last name was Slash it would be a different story.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your right this was about some performers who think because they play Gibson guitars the company is going bend over backwards to give them some sort of deal cause they are major stars no one has heard of who are talent at Dolly Parton’s amusement park? How many here play their guitars and get nothing? Most if not all? If thier last name was Slash it would be a different story.

I don't think they're asking for "bending over backwards" attention form Gibson. More like hanging a banner and saying they're sponsored by Gibson.

36 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I don't think they're asking for "bending over backwards" attention form Gibson. More like hanging a banner and saying they're sponsored by Gibson.

Well asking a bunch a cranky older mostly guys on a guitar enthusiast forum is certainly the way at achieve that goal. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well asking a bunch a cranky older mostly guys on a guitar enthusiast forum is certainly the way at achieve that goal. 

Well, a couple of hopeful young girls didn’t know the cess-pit of snark they were about to wade up against when they asked an innocent, legit question, did they?  

Well, you sure showed them, and probably made sure they will never make the mistake of venturing in here again.  Way to go, sunshine.  

Girls, if you are still getting notifications, I want to apologize for the crank behind the keyboard.  There are folks in here who wish you nothing but success.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

hey sgt sheet   tell us who else you hate, oh yeah,  and what have you done but whine and troll.....ever ?

Edited by jvi
content re-word
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Well, a couple of hopeful young girls didn’t know the cess-pit of snark they were about to wade up against when they asked an innocent, legit question, did they?  

Well, you sure showed them, and probably made sure they will never make the mistake of venturing in here again.  Way to go, sunshine.  

Girls, if you are still getting notifications, I want to apologize for the crank behind the keyboard.  There are folks in here who wish you nothing but success.  

He's a complete a$$hole. I don't think I've ever read a post of his that added any worth to the conversation. I have him blocked but unfortunately the posts still show up when others quote him.

Edited by 10PoundLester

4 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

He's a complete a$$hole. I don't think I've ever read a post of his that added any worth to the conversation. I have him blocked but unfortunately the posts still show up when others quote him.

Interesting....of the 6 forums I visit daily, over the 100k post I've made, and probably 1 mill post I've read, I've never had to put anyone on ignore.....

• Like 1

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Interesting....of the 6 forums I visit daily, over the 100k post I've made, and probably 1 mill post I've read, I've never had to put anyone on ignore.....

It’s not always a case of “have to.” For me it’s a case of turning down some tone.  I had one fellow was aggressively ragging  on my posts. I put up with it in the spirit of discourse for awhile, but it began to make visiting here tiresome and I was getting defensive.  It came down to choosing between just getting his comments off my feed so I don’t get irked, or leaving.  I’m sorry to the folks who feel I made the wrong decision 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrairieDog said:

It’s not always a case of “have to.” For me it’s a case of turning down some tone.  I had one fellow was aggressively ragging  on my posts. I put up with it in the spirit of discourse for awhile, but it began to make visiting here tiresome and I was getting defensive.  It came down to choosing between just getting his comments off my feed so I don’t get irked, or leaving.  I’m sorry to the folks who feel I made the wrong decision 😁

I have stepped away from this forum a few times, each probably a year or so. There are quite a few very nice folks on here, and a lot of knowledge. Sometimes I'm amazed at the knowledge of some. And some really good players.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Same here - not 6 but a couple. This is the only one where I blocked someone.

29 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I have stepped away from this forum a few times, each probably a year or so. There are quite a few very nice folks on here, and a lot of knowledge. Sometimes I'm amazed at the knowledge of some. And some really good players.

Nod, that is what tipped it to me sticking around.  It’s generally more often a great place to hang out. 🙂

• Like 1

Sort of like when we were in grade school - there was always one kid who caused trouble.  Got the whole class punished.   In 5th grade we had a teacher who would go lurk around the corner waiting for the noise to gradually build - and then come in with an  "I Gotcha!".    She'd punish the class - and call out one kid - different ones.  Even moi !  once.     We'd laugh, because she was always clueless on who the real  troublemaker was.   Now, we here are (mostly) all grown up.  We all know who the trouble maker is - and so do the hall monitors.      A couple of decades later, back in the 80s,  we created the  "Don't Let The Turkeys Get You Down"   Tee Shirt Line" .      Occasionally,  inevitably, we all get our feathers ruffled -  but I refuse to be plucked. 

Thats the problem with this forum these days.

Theres just not enough activity to make it interesting any more. We are generally down to old threads or new threads with nothing but pointless  comments in them that go nowhere and are just not interesting.

Its a shame as this place really used to be the best. Back before it was modded properly it was a rough place to hang out but a lot of fun at the same time. The modding did very much help in some ways. But now its just become one of the most boring forums ever. Im not even sure why I keep coming back actually. Out of some weird habit as I have been visiting for so long now.

Maybe also, a part of it is that forums havent been around for that long. But maybe they have been around long enough now that we have just all talked everything guitar to death so theres just nothing more to post in that way. Most of the myths that used to go around and around have either been proven one way or another, or that people just believe what they want and no discussion will change their minds now so makes them just pointless.

Donno..  I do know that we get way more visitors on here than actual contributing members. Some new people on here would be a good start. But then when you have the members on here who seem to do their best to put any new people off posting , its probably not going to get any better is it?

• Like 2

There are many other places to post, Facebook groups for example, where people can speak more freely I suppose. Some things could get you Facebook jail (this I know firsthand), but those groups are largely the wild west compared to a well run forum. I was involved with a Gretsch forum and I don't even know if they're alive anymore. Ditto for Heritage. The Ovation Fan Club is a ghost town now, replaced by a FB group established by the same people who had the Fan Club site.

Many people don't like FB and I am not advocating its use, just pointing out the elephant in the room.

One of the elephants anyway.

As to bullies, trolls, and malcontents, yes, we have had them over the years. Most have gone away. One major one died, so there's that.  Bigass bully. Drove one of our (rare) female members to never coming back. I had the good fortune to have met both of them face to face and they were both "good people", but one took on a different persona when he was behind a keyboard and was also very briefly made a moderator. He did not last and left with his tail between his legs. The one you guys have alluded to has not broken any rules lately so I will not take any steps to get rid of him. I personally have been in the crosshairs of some forum members who were "a lot nicer" than him and never once used any of my bestowed mod abilities to make them go away. One persecuted me relentlessly until someone above me banned him. Had I pulled the trigger, it would not have looked good for me.

If I could change one thing about the way we respond to new people, is that.... even though we have heard their question time and again about serial numbers, identification, value, all that, I think we owe it to Gibson and all present and future forum members to answer them politely and with much patience. I know most of us already DO that, but I think it's something we need to keep at the front of our brain. I know that's just one small facet of forum activity, but if people have a good first impression, maybe they will come back. There's a lot of good knowledgeable people here, we shouldn't brush off some wide eyed newbie with a question or make them look stupid in any way. 

My two cents.

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

The one you guys have alluded to has not broken any rules lately so I will not take any steps to get rid of him.

Maybe he'll do the right thing and self-eliminate himself from the forum. HA! Right!