Gibson Brands Forums

Ahh baby, we gotta go now.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have a cd box set with his first 7 albums. It took me a bit to get used to his voice.

Dear Abby kills me. 

Nod, same here.  I had the same thing with Nanci Griffith’s singing.  Her intonations seemed initially oddly fractured, but her songwriting was so intense it just pulled me in, then I started to “hear” her.  Love her unique voice now.     

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

The guy had a way-with-words.  He could use everyday street vanacular and it would fit the song.  His lyrics were a lot like I talk.  I found it very easy to identify with him.  One of the best ever songwriters.   What’s really sad is that if you get away from us singer/songwriter groupies, few people know of him.  Yet, he was fantastic.

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Like 2

Angel From Montgomery. 

My brother and I loaded all the gear into a local bar just a few years ago, and were executing a sound-check of all the mic levels and guitar amp settings.

It was about three hours before show time, and the bar was fairly empty. Our drummer was due to arrive in a few minutes with all his gear as well, and we strung out the cables for his drum mics on the backdrop of the stage.

I strapped on an acoustic electric, and began strumming and singing Bonnie Raitt's version of John Prine's song Angel From Montgomery. 

My brother paced around at different stations on the dance floor and listened with a critical ear while I played and sang first thru my vocal mic, next our girl singer's vocal mic, and then the bass player's mic, in order.

He nodded, and then climbed on stage to make a few adjustments to the powered mixer knobs and sliders.

The female bartender and one of her girlfriends came down the stairs from the upper (pool table) level of the bar, and asked, "Hey, where is the lady that was singing that song?"

I was perplexed. "Lady? No lady here, me and Stacey were just doing a sound-check."

"Yeah sure, but where is the girl who was singing?"

Stacey grinned. (I have an admittedly high and clear singing voice, and can easily sing most girl parts as well as male vocal bits when we record.)

"Uh, our girl singer won't be here for a couple of hours. That was me singing the song."

"Bull-sh1t" the other lady exclaimed. They weren't buying it.
Surely there was a female singer lurking behind the PA cabs!

I shrugged, and launched back into the same song as before, and I channeled my best Bonnie Raitt.

I am an old woman named after my mother
My old man is another child that's grown old
If dreams were lightning thunder was desire
This old house would have burnt down a long time ago

The two ladies stared open-eyed. "Son of a b1tch," the bartender exclaimed.

"I wouldn'ta believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes," uttered the other gal.

They went back up to the bar to have a smoke, and my brother and I continued on with the sound check activities.
🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Bob Dylan said Prine was his favorite songwriter and "Lake Marie" his favorite Prime song.     Like  Jimmy Buffet, Bob Marley and Eva Cassidy,   he was attacked by skin cancer.  Unlike those 'icons', he survived.  By any measure - a great man. 

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 2

My acoustic group plays Angel From Montgomery, Please Don't Bury Me and In Spite Of Ourselves. The last one, my partner Steve's wife would sometimes sing the female part, but unfortunately she just passed from cancer 2 weeks ago.  We've already played 3 gigs since her passing, and he just sings both parts himself. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 11:04 AM, fortyearspickn said:

( Edit?   Had to correct "AutoCorrect" for changing Prine to Price.  multiple times.   I can't wait for AI to really screw things up.  They'll be changing more than our spelling. )  

We already have AI running our country. No one (and that’s both sides) on Capitol Hill has any real intelligence, it’s all artificial.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1