Gibson Brands Forums

Who knows what it sounds like but what a beauty!

Intriguing, and pretty striking, but I wonder why the person who ordered it didn’t  keep it?  I thought M2Ms were prepaid/no returns unless there was something wrong.  Or do stores do M2Ms just to have something different to sell?  I sure would have liked to see a  couple full length views.  I also wonder what koa does for the sound? Funny, I realized I don’t associate koa with Gibson.  I still think of it as kind of a trendy wood, maybe because Taylor does so many special issues with it.   I’ve only played a couple koas and they didn’t knock my socks off, but it may have been the builds.  I don’t think any were full dreads.  

Edited by PrairieDog

3 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

It certainly is stunning..... just don't know how Koa wood acts as a soundboard...... would like to hear it.

Taylor describes koa tops as being “clear, warm and punchy.”  I played one of their koa minis, and found it kinda brittle sounding.  But that of course was an entirely different instrument: small, with laminated koa back and sides, so truly not a comparison at all.  

• Like 1

I have a Gibson custom hummingbird made of koa with a sika top that I bought from Ren Fergurson in the Gibson trailer during the 2006 Summer Jam in Nashville.

To me, it has the crispness and clarity of maple and the warmth and thick tone of rosewood. I use 80/20 ultra lights and the Gibson jangle is there in spades.

Koa does take a lot of time to fully open up. Took mine about 6 years.

VHqWP0.Koa-Front.jpeg

VHqHQx.Koa-Side.jpeg

VHqBPz.Koa-Back.jpeg

LCB

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Low Country Boy said:

I have a Gibson custom hummingbird made of koa with a sika top that I bought from Ren Fergurson in the Gibson trailer during the 2006 Summer Jam in Nashville.

To me, it has the crispness and clarity of maple and the warmth and thick tone of rosewood. I use 80/20 ultra lights and the Gibson jangle is there in spades.

VHqWP0.Koa-Front.jpeg

VHqHQx.Koa-Side.jpeg

VHqBPz.Koa-Back.jpeg

LCB

YowZa!!!  that is one gorgeous bird…. 

22 minutes ago, Low Country Boy said:

VHqWP0.Koa-Front.jpeg

VHqHQx.Koa-Side.jpeg

VHqBPz.Koa-Back.jpeg

LCB

That's beautiful.  

I also have a 2011 Hummingbird Custom Koa.

I got it from Guitar Center is San Jose, (I think they made them special for GC).

It's really come into it's own in the last 13 years.

I owned a 2005 J185 with Koa B/S and my experience was similar to others.  First it does seemingly take that wood forever to open up. My J185 was very clear and balanced and I can see the comparison to maple. One other thing about that guitar, it would sustain forever. Don’t know if the wood had an impact on that or just the build of the guitar itself.  I probably sold it too soon, it would be interesting to hear it today.

I've got a J45 Koa b/s and it is amazing. Balanced lows, mid and highs.  Would buy it again. Did take a couple of  years to open up.   Taylor seems to put out an over-abundance of KOAs - and I'd never pay six large for that H'Bird.  It needs to be in a climate controlled display case in a Guitar Center - as a marketing prop. 

5 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Intriguing, and pretty striking, but I wonder why the person who ordered it didn’t  keep it?  I thought M2Ms were prepaid/no returns unless there was something wrong.  Or do stores do M2Ms just to have something different to sell?  .  

It does look like the shop is catering to unique and high dollar offerings. With twenty four  M2M guitars, as well as other customs, and Murphy Lab models, it really looks like a Gibson acoustic candy store. And since an M2M guitar is a “ you pays your money, you take your chances“ order, the potential buyer at least  has a chance to try before buying, if they really wanted to. It also circumvents the order/shipping process, and the wait time, as well.

A definite source of Gibson acoustic G.A.S.   :

https://reverb.com/shop/toneshopguitars?product_type=acoustic-guitars&make[]=gibson&make[]=collings-guitars

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 62burst said:

It does look like the shop is catering to unique and high dollar offerings. With twenty four  M2M guitars, as well as other customs, and Murphy Lab models, it really looks like a Gibson acoustic candy store. And since an M2M guitar is a “ you pays your money, you take your chances“ order, the potential buyer at least  has a chance to try before buying, if they really wanted to. It also circumvents the order/shipping process, and the wait time, as well.

A definite source of Gibson acoustic G.A.S.   :

https://reverb.com/shop/toneshopguitars?product_type=acoustic-guitars&make[]=gibson&make[]=collings-guitars

Ahhh, I see. Thanks 🙂 I probably should have checked out the store before I asked.  Yes, it looks like a very dangerous place…..

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Haha 1

That one is nice looking.

I had a couple  Koa guitars that were victims of my downsizing a couple years ago. A spruce/koa J200 and a Martin all koa 0000. I still have a couple koa ukulele.

48944859661_faf000bc5c_m.jpg48945056102_2173ccfb20_m.jpg 50619240016_de74e9fd14_m.jpg51053868832_22a2447dde_m.jpg