Gibson Brands Forums

1940s SJ-100 FON dating

Greetings! Just joined the forum and wanted to reach out for some insight. I have an SJ-100 I recently acquired from a 90 years young picker. It's FON is 167-F. I asked Gibson for verification and they told me 1942/43, but I keep getting told the FON indicates 1940. I suppose it really doesn't matter, but curiosity is getting the best of me! I posted this on the Vintage section and it was recommended I post it here. What are your thoughts?

SJ100 full front small.jpg

SJ100 FON small.jpg

SJ100 Body Back Small.jpg

SJ100 Head Back Small.jpg

SJ100 Case small.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, slimt said:

F= 1940.   You got a nice Gibson.  That case is clean too. 

Yes- I've been told the F is 1940.  It came with a L-00 that Gibson told me is 1936 or 1938. The FON on that one is 777. I only hope I can play as long as the owner of these did! Thanks for the reply.

1 minute ago, Kirkelstein said:

Yes- I've been told the F is 1940.  It came with a L-00 that Gibson told me is 1936 or 1938. The FON on that one is 777. I only hope I can play as long as the owner of these did! Thanks for the reply.

Well you got someones prized guitars. You are the caretaker of these. Enjoy those.   
L00 Gibsons are pretty cool too. 

As I mentioned in the other thread about this guitar (in the Vintage forum), I'm not a flat-top expert, but the pickguard on this one struck me as being a bit different in shape from what I would have expected.  Do any of you guys with more experience with flat-tops have any thoughts about the pickguard?  I tried to enlarge the photo to get a better idea of the material, but found that difficult.  Anyway, just curious whether it's original, or maybe custom ordered (?), or perhaps a replacement.

37 minutes ago, JimR56 said:

As I mentioned in the other thread about this guitar (in the Vintage forum), I'm not a flat-top expert, but the pickguard on this one struck me as being a bit different in shape from what I would have expected.  Do any of you guys with more experience with flat-tops have any thoughts about the pickguard?  I tried to enlarge the photo to get a better idea of the material, but found that difficult.  Anyway, just curious whether it's original, or maybe custom ordered (?), or perhaps a replacement.

Here' a '41 that sold on reverb and one from True vintage. The OP's looks a little different but the last one from HQ looks the same.

1941 Gibson J-100 | Reverb (bing.com)

d9esn55jld2ydvhyk6kz.jpg

Vintage 1941 Gibson Super Jumbo 100 acoustic guitar – True Vintage Guitar

DSC_3180_f3491856-6b80-4d01-a502-0da0ef0

Gibson SJ-100 guitar Gibson J-100 guitar Gibson J100 guitar Super Jumbo 100 guitar info vintage 1939 to 1943 (guitarhq.com)

40j100.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Dave.  It's interesting... I hadn't checked anywhere (including GuitarHQ) for more examples, but I was guessing that the OP's guard was perhaps aftermarket.  Looks like I was incorrect, and I guess I'm somewhat surprised- not only that two pg designs from the same era would have been so different, but also that they seem to have "overlapped" (Gruhn's article showing examples from '39 and '41 with similar guards, yet the OP's '40 is quite different).  I wonder whether there's more to the story here in terms of the evolution of the model's features.

5 hours ago, zombywoof said:

He has forgotten more about these guitars than the current Gibson company will ever know.  

That is because Gibson is concerned about this. 

$

And this ($)  only.

Don’t believe me?

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Acoustic-Guitar/Johnny-Cash-SJ-200/Vintage-Cherry-Sunburst

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, JimR56 said:

Thanks Dave.  It's interesting... I hadn't checked anywhere (including GuitarHQ) for more examples, but I was guessing that the OP's guard was perhaps aftermarket.  Looks like I was incorrect, and I guess I'm somewhat surprised- not only that two pg designs from the same era would have been so different, but also that they seem to have "overlapped" (Gruhn's article showing examples from '39 and '41 with similar guards, yet the OP's '40 is quite different).  I wonder whether there's more to the story here in terms of the evolution of the model's features.

Thanks Jim and Dave-Wouldn't let me download large pics so I took a close up.  

SJ guard 1.jpg

Gorgeous guitar!

Yes, that "F" in the factory order number suggests 1940. I write "suggests" because although folks in the vintage guitar community accept the FON letter as definitive regarding the year of shipment, neither Gibson nor anyone else has ever confirmed this. Still, 1940 is safe bet.

Somewhere, I have a document on which I've noted (while I was reading through Gibson's WWII-era shipping ledgers) the last shipped guitar of certain models, including the SJ-100. I'll look that up and report back in.

I love the binding/purfling of the SJ-100. I am fortunate to own a 1944 SJ from the only batch that used double SJ-100 purflings instead of the typical multiple, narrow SJ purfling.

2548739530033810361bHtYfV_fs.jpg

On 9/2/2024 at 1:32 PM, jt said:

Gorgeous guitar!

Yes, that "F" in the factory order number suggests 1940. I write "suggests" because although folks in the vintage guitar community accept the FON letter as definitive regarding the year of shipment, neither Gibson nor anyone else has ever confirmed this. Still, 1940 is safe bet.

Somewhere, I have a document on which I've noted (while I was reading through Gibson's WWII-era shipping ledgers) the last shipped guitar of certain models, including the SJ-100. I'll look that up and report back in.

I love the binding/purfling of the SJ-100. I am fortunate to own a 1944 SJ from the only batch that used double SJ-100 purflings instead of the typical multiple, narrow SJ purfling.

2548739530033810361bHtYfV_fs.jpg

Nice!-Thanks for that info.