Gibson Brands Forums

WTB: Gibson Southern JUmbo

CAMELEYE

On 10/1/2024 at 9:55 PM, CAMELEYE said:

I see a lot of Southern Jumbos for sale in Japan.  Prices aren't bad, even considering the cost of shipping.

Anyone ever buy a Gibson acoustic (any model) from overseas?

Yes, I'd mentioned in another thread recently my experience with eBay from Japan. There is something strange going on there, where the same guitar will be listed by "different" sellers- same photos, slightly different prices. The '07 J-185 TV I bought looked to be in great shape, and was described as such, but it had been dinged over the years by what looked like someone playing with a ring on their fingers, and that person seemed to enjoy using the guitar as a percussion instrument. Notwithstanding the risks of undisclosed dings and dents, or the chances of mishandling in it's overseas return to the US, or delays in Customs, and expense of trying to do a return, in retrospect, I'd strongly consider being patient and waiting for one to show up a little closer to home. 

On 9/16/2024 at 11:39 AM, zombywoof said:

Has anyone gotten their hands on either the Gibson 12 fret or the Fairbanks 13 fret takes on the Southerner Jumbo?

I have the Fairbanks Kal Gal SJ.  It’s perfect.  It’s my everyday guitar.

FYI, I have a wonderful short scale custom shop AJ that I’m willing to part with. I’m 2 guitars behind on catch and release and I want a murphy lab bird.

13 hours ago, 62burst said:

Yes, I'd mentioned in another thread recently my experience with eBay from Japan. There is something strange going on there, where the same guitar will be listed by "different" sellers- same photos, slightly different prices. The '07 J-185 TV I bought looked to be in great shape, and was described as such, but it had been dinged over the years by what looked like someone playing with a ring on their fingers, and that person seemed to enjoy using the guitar as a percussion instrument. Notwithstanding the risks of undisclosed dings and dents, or the chances of mishandling in it's overseas return to the US, or delays in Customs, and expense of trying to do a return, in retrospect, I'd strongly consider being patient and waiting for one to show up a little closer to home. 

Have noticed that for quite a while and always thought : Okay, various individuals on various platforms have access to the same guitar/inventory. Never looked closer into the subject though and may be wrong, but if a listed item would interest me, first thing to do would be to contact seller. Always did that when buying guits from overseas anyway and it worked well. You get a sense of who you're dealing with and the item in Q. The quality'n'character of pre-communication say a lot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nid2007 said:

FYI, I have a wonderful short scale custom shop AJ that I’m willing to part with. I’m 2 guitars behind on catch and release and I want a murphy lab bird.

I am still second guessing myself for not jumping on the Fairbanks Kal Gal SJ when it was issued.  But as I owned that 1942 J50 I did not see any money in it at the time.  I did end up snagging a Fairbanks Roy Smeck down the road though.  

When it comes to an AJ though, one of the reasons I would  want one is the loner scale.

24 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I am still second guessing myself for not jumping on the Fairbanks Kal Gal SJ when it was issued.  But as I owned that 1942 J50 I did not see any money in it at the time.  I did end up snagging a Fairbanks Roy Smeck down the road though.  

When it comes to an AJ though, one of the reasons I would  want one is the loner scale.

The short scale makes it a great fingerpicking guitar … very similar in feel  to the ‘94 Centennial smecks 

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Willcutt Guitars. They have a nice inventory. If I didn't have something else ordered, I would definitely check out this one. 

Gibson Custom Shop Willcutt Exclusive Southern Jumbo Original Vintage - Willcutt Guitars

or Gibson Custom Shop Willcutt Exclusive Southern Jumbo Original Vintage - Willcutt Guitars

20264154-3_5000x.jpg?v=1709674398

21792062-3_5000x.jpg?v=1660320595

Edited by Dave F

14 minutes ago, CAMELEYE said:

Any idea how Willcutt discounts?

I only visited their shop to meet Bob Willcutt for an appraisal. I have bought a few new ones in the past year. I cannot get the deep discounts like I used too with Maury’s and Bailey Brothers. Bailey got sold, Maury retired. I’ve been dealing with Music Villa. I offer a rounded amount about 20% off, they counter, we split the difference, I wind up 15-18% off, no taxes, free shipping. I would try the same with Willcutt. All they can say is no.  I think most of your 5 Star dealers will do 15%. Fuller offers that via a sale almost every month. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2024 at 8:53 AM, nid2007 said:

Lucky you! Treasure it forever, please.

I worked with Dale Fairbanks to make the Kal Gal SJs happen. And I refused any compensation and have no financial interest in those guitars. I knew that Dale could do the project justice.

The labels are signed by the last surviving Kalamazoo Gal (she'll be 103 in January). The bridgeplates and Banner inlays are crafted from a chunk of maple that was in the factory at 225 Parsons Street during WWII.