Gibson Brands Forums

Already have a problem with my new amp, any suggestions?

:oilpit:

Just got a JTM off ebay, it came with the tubes out.

I put them in and ran it on standby for a few hours, then plugged it into my cab and have been playing it (I'd say it's gotten about 5 hours)

When a guitar is plugged into it, and not being played it makes a weird crackling noise, it is loudest and most prominent right as I turn standby off. It's not too loud and goes away when it's being played (or it is just drowned out by the speakers, I'm not sure)

It's not that big of a deal, I just want to make sure that the amp is working properly, and I'm not hurting it by playing it.

The only thing that I would think could possibly cause this is that I have ran it at 8 and 16 ohms (going into a 16 ohm cab) reason is, I've been told from reliable sources that I should run it at 8 and from other reliable sources that I should run it at 16 (I'm still not sure which is right)

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate any possible info...

Your young with healthy ears keep cranking it up and pretty soon you won't hear any of those noises.

Or much else for that matter, retirement accounts, hearing protection and dental floss are all much more important than you think they are when your young.

Or much else for that matter' date=' retirement accounts, hearing protection and dental floss are all much more important than you think they are when your young.

[/quote']

I bought a 10 pack of ear plugs, not 2 hours ago

:-({|=

Never run the head without a cabinet connected.

Always run into a load that matches the head's setting ohms-wise.

If you must mis-match - up or down 2x max is acceptable for a while only.

Free choice of mismatch, go lower rather than higher..... a 4ohm cab on an 8ohm head will be less damaging to the output transformer than a 16ohm cab on an 8 ohm head. Ideally, don't mis-match at all.

Gentle and continuous rustling sounds, like autumn leaves in the breeze means either it is fall, or a tube (maybe a cap or resistor too) is going west. Since tubes are socketed - swap a few from a working amp and see if it goes away - should give you a better idea where the problem is.

Turn it up, play loud and enjoy.

Oilpit, personally I would take it to a local amp or electronics guy for a quick diagnosis. When I started building "retro" amplifiers, I chased my own tail trying to troubleshoot small problems and glitches. I have found that with about 5 minutes most issues can be solved.

Oilpit' date=' personally I would take it to a local amp or electronics guy for a quick diagnosis. When I started building "retro" amplifiers, I chased my own tail trying to troubleshoot small problems and glitches. I have found that with about 5 minutes most issues can be solved. [/quote']

+1 for this perhaps after you try the tube swap mentioned by guitarest above.

I know when I built my amp I had some crackling sounds at first and it turned out to be a cold solder joint. However, I don't have a standby switch. An experienced amp tech will locate the problem if the seller doesn't have any ideas.

You said it was a clone so if the seller built the amp then they may have a good idea.

You honestly don't want to leave a tube amp on standby for hours. It can cause cathode poisoning and issues with tube response and life. 2-10 mins on standby is all that is recommended. I'm not sure if it's causing your issue but for future thought don't leave it on standby for hours.

You honestly don't want to leave a tube amp on standby for hours. It can cause cathode poisoning and issues with tube response and life. 2-10 mins on standby is all that is recommended. I'm not sure if it's causing your issue but for future thought don't leave it on standby for hours.

+1.

I doubt he's caused any damage in such a short time, but. My (lifetime) study tells me power up on standby. A few minutes then standby on. Power down without, just flip off with standby on.

Another thing oilpit, tube amps do make noise. They are running much higher voltage, and they are kind of noisey. I wouldn't sweat it for a while, unless it's "ungiggable".

Best of luck.

Murph.

Last night I took the power amps out, one sounded like a dead lightbulb when it was shaken.

Put them back in and I was having the same pop thing, then I tapped them to see if they made weird noises, which is supposedly a sign of a tube thats on the fritz (no such noise was produced). As soon as I tapped it a few times the crackling went away.

Now it just sort of hums, with the odd crackle, I think I was making a mountain out of a molehill.

Regardless, it will see an amp tech this weekend.

Thanks for all the help

Best of luck. If it sounds good. It's good. In the '60's/'70's nobody biased anything. We went to the drugstore tube checker and checked 'em for free. The tubes were in the little doors underneath.

Whoops....

That was a trade secret.....

Murph.

On the impedance, you can either match the head or go one level higher not lower. That is why is called "minimum impedance" when talking about the amp output.

To me it sounds like you have a bad power tube, is it an el84? they are fragile and last only one year in theory.

My Peavey amp used to crackle, pop, loose volume, get muddy and it was all a bad tube. If you shook it a rattled that is it. If it does not anymore it does not mean it is not bad anymore.

Last night I took the power amps out' date=' one sounded like a dead lightbulb when it was shaken.

Put them back in and I was having the same pop thing, then I tapped them to see if they made weird noises, which is supposedly a sign of a tube thats on the fritz (no such noise was produced). As soon as I tapped it a few times the crackling went away.

Now it just sort of hums, with the odd crackle, I think I was making a mountain out of a molehill.

Regardless, it will see an amp tech this weekend.

Thanks for all the help[/quote']

Tube amps are hummers.

Archived