Gibson Brands Forums

PCB's?

Murph

using a PCB in the cavity lets them set up the electronics in a fraction of the time it used to. They bolt the PCB in (with pots attached i think). the pickups, selector switch and jack all have plugs on the end to they just plug right into the PCB. done.

what i don't get is why they use that clear plastic back plate. is that to show it off!?

The issue I would have with that is that if now all the components are attached by plug in as opposed to solder there are chances of bad connections, noise and so on. On the up side, changing pups should be easier assuming you can get pups pre configured with the correct plug ends. I can see that it saves time and maybe it helps explain how they have dropped the price on the standards but Gibson buyers may not be impressed with what could be seen as corner cutting on what is supposed to be a premium brand.

Don't know which models but they're fairly new. Mid - late 2008?

I thought you had a few SG's Tim?

Sorry if I'm confused.

It happened once before.........

Any with PCB's?

Best to ya.

Gibson's idea of "progress" is a crock of sh!t.

Speeds production for them but makes repairs and mods much harder for us.

The control scheme on a couple new Les Paul traditionals drove me crazy too, they acted very differently.

Hope the machine work is the same on the new guitars and the old style pots will fit.....

Murph, I have one SG and it's the Custom Shop Standard.

I used to have a 2005 SG Special, 2007 Standard and Special (Guitar of the Week) but I sold them a while back.

They did not have PCBs.

I miss the two '07s but glad I sold them at the same time because the one I have now is the best I've played.

The EMGs in the black SG were to die for but I didn't find myself playing that guitar too often.

The Standard was just a flat out great guitar but felt like a truck compared to the CS SG I have now.

Picture008.jpg

Picture004.jpg

The main drawback would be replacing a pot.

It might look easy, but working with PCBs can be a pain.

I think I'd strip out the whole thing and hand wire it, like it should be.

Agree with all the above. The main "advantage" is quicker, easier and therefore cheaper production. That is only an advantage to Gibson, not to you! No matter how you look at it, this is "corner cutting" and moves Gibson guitars one step closer to being just another brand as opposed to THE Premium brand. I know there will be those who say we want our cake and eat it and that this is the only way they can offer their more "reasonably" priced guitars at affordable prices. I say that, even with the newly lowered starting prices for specials, Gibson prices are high enough for us to expect more in return for our hard earned dollars.

Archived