Gibson Brands Forums

Santa Barbara Fire

Californiaman

My heart aches for those people who own those homes, and all the wildlife lost too. I have to ask a question tho'. Please don't flame me because I really am just seeking info about this. EVERY YEAR we here about these awful fires in California. EVERY YEAR. If Cali has this kind of problem, is there not some way to put in some kind of irrigation system throughout the brush that would at least thwart the fires a bit? Rather than dealing with the fires AFTER they've begun, isn't there a better way to prevent them in the first place?

Last time this happened my son was volentold by the Marine Corps to help with the fires last year before he went to Iraq. Thats just amazing this would happen. Any idea how the fires started this time. If memory serves last year fires were arson.

They think it was someone clearing brush.

Doing exactly what they're supposed to do.

Just the wrong time of year.

My heart aches for those people who own those homes' date=' and all the wildlife lost too. I have to ask a question tho'. Please don't flame me because I really am just seeking info about this. EVERY YEAR we here about these awful fires in California. EVERY YEAR. If Cali has this kind of problem, is there not some way to put in some kind of irrigation system throughout the brush that would at least thwart the fires a bit? Rather than dealing with the fires AFTER they've begun, isn't there a better way to prevent them in the first place?[/quote']

No Karen, that's impossible.

Look at the terrain.

One man put an irrigation system on top of his roof. He turned it on and saved his home, while watching his neighbors loose theirs.

No Karen' date=' that's impossible.

Look at the terrain.

One man put an irrigation system on top of his roof. He turned it on and saved his home, while watching his neighbors loose theirs.

[/quote']

Yeah, I guess the terrain would be a real issue. It's just so heartbreaking to hear of this all the time. :-(

Yeah' date=' I guess the terrain would be a real issue. It's just so heartbreaking to hear of this all the time. :-([/quote']

You need to understand that California is a Mediterranean climate. That brush you see in the photographs is chaparral, when it gets dry, like it often does, that stuff goes up quick. That's why people try to clear it away from their homes.

You also have to understand that they chose to live there for the solitude, space, and views. It's a real bummer that so many lost their homes, memories, and precious items. Thank God no one died.

The big C-140 ( I believe that's what it is) aircraft refuels and reloads fire retardant at the Santa Maria Airport not one mile from my house. We see it all day long' date=' coming and going.[/quote']

It's a retired Navy P-3C.

Archived