Gibson Brands Forums

Hey KSG.............

Murph

My reverb died in the Blue Angel. I've called Mesa but they won't answer the freakin' phone, you leave a message, play phone tag, bla, bla. I thought it was V3 (counting from closest to the input being 1) but have changed it.

It'll hiss a little when you crank the verb, but no verb.

I've got a post at the grail tone websight too, am actually off this coming weekend (yippeee, just 2 more weekends off until next Jan.).

I knew you had one, just wondered if you had any ideas?

Or, any of you other tube "guru's"

Thanks in advance.

Murph.

Pull the Tank and make sure the springs are not broken or Touching anywhere.

My inner Murph thought of that, but it's pretty darned unlikely, eh Max? I've seen 50 year old Fenders with rusty springs, ect.

I'm gonna continue to play phone tag with Mesa. I'm missing something, maybe chasing the wrong tube. It's a pain to lay this thing down and change them, if you don't own a Mesa, you don't realize how "tight" the preamp tube quarters are! I'll probably change all 5 preamp tubes later this week, just to troubleshoot it. But they're real new....

Thanks.

Murph.

No never had the Pleasure of owning a Messa.

I do own a few combo's with 4 EL84's a 4 12ax7lps

and they are hard to reach and then re-stab.

I've found 2 other Amps in the past with a simular problem

just like you have Described that were traced to Poped off

or broken end Eyelits on the springs, but both only did

develop after being moved around or banged around.

Like just coming home from a Bar or something.

Is the Tank easy to get to? Isn't it right on the floor

of the combo. Fire it up and tap or bang on the tank

and see what you get.

Good Luck

Another thing that's often overlooked is the condition of the RCA jacks that connect your tank to the board. They can get corroded, or in my case - twice, actually - the little vinyl bag that they put around the tank was stapled around so tight that it bent the squiggly part on the plastic between the connector and the cord. It was doubled back over itself to the point where really bassy notes would make the cord lose contact with itself. Just something to check. Your symptoms sound a lot like what I was hearing.

often overlooked is the solder connections of the tube coupler or what ever it's called. They have a habit to come lose from the wiggling ect... of pulling tubes and putting them in. It's very common on newer Fender Deluxe's

Update.

Changed V3 and V4 and all is well.

This means, for real, 2 out of 5 JJ's (12AX7's) I bought (at the same time) failed.

2/5ths.

In a few months.

No offense.

I'm going back to Mesa (if they ever answer the phone) and Groove Tubes. And, NOS.

Murph.

Archived