Gibson Brands Forums

This Sucks!

Homz

So here I sit in Central Indiana. It's Memorial Day weekend which other then paying homage to our nations fallen heroes means only one other thing to a Hoosier. That is the Indianapolis 500. The greatest spectacle in racing. I don't want any BS about NASCAR either. This race has been around and stood the test of time since 1911. Anyway to my point. Here in the heart of oval track racing they black out the race. All you can turn on ABC and watch it live, but I have to wait to watch it at 6pm. You might think those in Central Indiana who put up with all the extra traffic and BS would be rewarded by not being blacked out, but that's not the case. Yeah I know the point is we should go to the race, but since most years the race sells out (not this year) you might think they would lift the black out. Just saying or whining.

P.S. Please don't post race up dates. I want to watch it as if it were live this evening.

Dale Earnhardt Jr is leading ...#-o

Dale got confused and turned right.

Special Note: No one with the first name Dale is ever in the Indy 500. They let those guys play on the track in Aug. during that lesser known event the Brickyard 400.

Funny how a ton of those Indy guys migrated to NASCAR and even funnier still ' date=' most of 'em couldn't cut it. Just sayin'......[/quote']

Say what you want about Indy racing, but going 210 mph into a 90 degree left turn with out half a ton of roll cage around you shows me who has the biggest balls.

The little Homz and I are going to watch "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (old one).

Homz' date=' my technical great-grandfather (i.e. my Ph.D.'s advisor's Ph.D. advisor's Ph.D. advisor) was Dr. Samuel Herrick. He was a famous astrodynamicist at UCLA. Back in those days the producers of these movies wanted to get some kind of sense of realism. So they hired Dr. Herrick to write the equations on "Prof. Barnheart's" chalkboard. They are real orbital mechanics equations. I have a picture of Dr. Herrick coaching Michael Rennie, the actor who played Klaatu, on what to write! Here is the picture (it's a bit grainy)

[img']http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/rocketrush/misc/herrick.jpg[/img]

Homz' date=' my technical great-grandfather (i.e. my Ph.D.'s advisor's Ph.D. advisor's Ph.D. advisor) was Dr. Samuel Herrick. He was a famous astrodynamicist at UCLA. Back in those days the producers of these movies wanted to get some kind of sense of realism. So they hired Dr. Herrick to write the equations on "Prof. Barnheart's" chalkboard. They are real orbital mechanics equations. I have a picture of Dr. Herrick coaching Michael Rennie, the actor who played Klaatu, on what to write! Here is the picture (it's a bit grainy)

[/quote']

Wow! That's awesome. Cool pic. Thanks for sharing.

I'm watching the Indy 500 now, finally.

Crash on lap one.... Andriette, Marco is out. Damn.

The first full speed lap average was Franchitti @ 218 mPH (average)

That's about 225 MPH going into a 90 degree left turn at the end of the front straight away.

WOW!

I was at the track for time trials something like a dozen years ago when the track record was set by Lyendyke it was like 235 MPH. Actually I think it was a bit faster, but I know one of you Google dweebs will take great pride in correcting me, so I'll underestimate.

I'm still watching the replay of the Indy 500. There are 70 laps to go. The only family member left with me watching is my 15 year old daughter. She's a big Danaka Patrick fan. It's 10:30pm here and the boy is fast asleep.

Lot's of wrecks this years.

You all who could have watched this race live and didn't really missed out on a crazy a$$ race. If they show it again wherever your at I recommend watching it. Kept my interest more then any Indy 500 in recent memory.

Archived