Gibson Brands Forums

A new thread - differences...

Luap

I'm just looking for MAYBE a guitar which has more or less the same sound as the 335, but a lot less heavy...I'll try it out a few more weeks, and if I really find my is 335 is too big and too heavy, I have to sell the thing.

I'm in Amsterdam, so I have at least some comparing material. Not much though. A few shops have a lot, but only around 5 SG's, Specials, Std's and maybe a '61 reissue. Almost no Custom Shop Les Pauls and SG's in the stores. I'm planning to try some guitars in the weekend.

Since my 335 has '57 Classics, I'm thinking the '61 Reissue SG has the most similar sound.

Custom Shop SG and LP's aren't in my price range I think.

I will see.

Hmmmm....

The 335 is big, but not what I would call heavy.

The SG will probably be no lighter, and it will be more neck-heavy.

I find the 335 to be very comfortable, but I'm a pretty big guy.

If you are smaller in stature, I can see where the 335 might be cumbersome.

I can tell you that both guitars benefit from the 57 Classics.

I would NEVER change pickups in either one.

2460358465_2077c09068.jpg?v=0

An SG, any SG, is not going to sound like a 335. There are similarities, especially if the pickups are the same, but generally, the SG will have a little more sustain, being solid, and the 335 will be a little more "airy", with a bit more of an acoustic quality. The SG is more comfortable to play in my opinion, being smaller--when I played semi-hollows (a 345 and a 347), it seemed like I was always catching my right sleeve in the f-hole! And I have to concur regarding the '57 Classics--they sound great.

NeoConMan--what's the story on that SG-12? That looks great! I've always wondered why Gibson never offered one back in the '60's. Does it balance OK? Was it modified from half-a-doubleneck? Prototype? Inquiring minds want to know...

I like the look of the Standard with the bigger guard and inlays

Is there a CS version of the Standard?

Or is the standard good enough to add to my collection

Am I missing out on anything with the Standard???? that other models have?

So I went to a music store in town today. I compared the '61 Reissue and the Standard.

-I liked the sound of the '61 RI a bit more

-The '61 RI seemed a bit lighter in weight

-I liked both looks, with big and small PG

-The neck joint looked a bit weak on the '61 RI.

What do you think of the neck joints? Has the '61 RI a weaker neck joint?

Greets!

If you lean it on a chair and stand on it maybe....

The original 61 had issues with the neck pickup slot cut right into the neck joint so there were some failures and flexing.

Reissues have no such problem.

I also noticed the SG's would go out of tune a bit after playing a while. Is this a common SG "feature"?

Also: Is it possible to buy a Standard and switch the pickups to '57 Classics?

Depending on how hard you beat on it every guitar (yes, even one's with locking tuners) will go out of tune eventually. Some cheaper models are more prone than others but my Standard stays well in tune and I bend, pull-off, hammer, tap and rip like a madman.

I am told the new standards use a printed circuit board. I dont know how hard that will make it to switch pickups but, as a general rule if you can solder reasonably well (and it isnt rocket science) it shouldnt be too much of a job.

I can see no reason why a standard would go out of tune faster than a 61 and, as far as I know, no modern SG has such poor tuners that going out of tune is a particular issue. I have heard of badly cut nuts that can cause a tuning issue and the one you looked at could have had that problem.

(and would it be a hell of a job to switch the pickups?)

If you can solder it's a no brainer.

Tuning stability on a 61 is no different than a Standard.

Yes, the nut is usually the issue. Easy to diagnose.

Luap, where are you getting your information?

If you break a neck joint on a '61 SG you're doing something stupid.

If the neck joint scares you (despite what everybody who owns one tells you) then don't buy one.

Get a Standard and call it good, or spend the $$$$ and get a Custom Shop model.

Neck bending is totally ill-advised for any Gibson. Especially an SG

I've heard that slash was doing a neck bend at a concert (on an LP, of course) and the neck snapped and slapped him right in the mouth with the headstock and made his mouth bleed. Personally I don't like slash so I think that's pretty funny but you wouldn't want it to happen to your precious Gibson. At least they're disposable to slash.

Bigsby or a Maestro.

Something I've always worried about is neck bending.

Don't do it.

More about the truss rod but will that crack a neck?

Only one way to know for sure..... then it's too late.

The truss rod doesn't care' date=' it's just a metal rod [i']designed[/i] to have a slight bend anyway.

I mean a moderate 1 tone bend.

Do that on one of my guitars and you won't play again for awhile - not until the doctor removes the casts anyway.

:-)

Archived