Gibson Brands Forums

Happy 94th Birthday Les Paul!

BIGBENDS

Well, here's my two bits worth...

Even if Les Paul were not a musician of great talent and ability, his technical creativity set the stage for nearly everything we do on guitar and in recording. He showed one may think about about tweaking the available technology to make it do something neat, and more neat than the original designers considered.

I mean, think of it this way, other than the old disk thing, the tape recorder was in its infancy and the idea of getting echo and such from the machine, overdubs, etc., were nowhere as well considered as what Les did.

Others were working on solid body guitars, so other than the nice shape and potential of the LP shape isn't all that big a deal to me compared to the recording concepts that entirely changed the way people thought of recording.

Now add the musical talent?

Whew...

m

Well' date=' here's my two bits worth...

Even if Les Paul were not a musician of great talent and ability, his technical creativity set the stage for nearly everything we do on guitar and in recording. He showed one may think about about tweaking the available technology to make it do something neat, and more neat than the original designers considered.

I mean, think of it this way, other than the old disk thing, the tape recorder was in its infancy and the idea of getting echo and such from the machine, overdubs, etc., were nowhere as well considered as what Les did.

Others were working on solid body guitars, so other than the nice shape and potential of the LP shape isn't all that big a deal to me compared to the recording concepts that entirely changed the way people thought of recording.

Now add the musical talent?

Whew...

m

[/quote']

Can't argue with any of that, Milod, but I think you overlook the most significant thing...ol' Lester makes us seem young! Well, ME anyway. ;)

Something I like to point out when talking about Les Paul and his Multi Track Pioneering. He made Movies Better.

Thanks to his techniques, Movie Makers could over dub sound effects, extra dialogue, voice overs, etc. Thanks Les.

Archived