Gibson Brands Forums

Why "James Dean" by The Eagles Sounds So Good

Californiaman

They were a Country Rock Band. They hung out with Linda Rondstadt, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, ect.

They were cool.

Not like they are now........

The last album had 1 Country Rock song on it that actually charted on the Country Charts, but most of it sucked eggs. I actually shot it with a Ruger 1022.

It was that bad...... Treehuggers......

Murph.

Just can't keep politics out of the forum' date=' can we Murph.

Was that Out of Eden?

I have it, it's so so.

[/quote']

They are the ones that put politics on a cd. My wife bought me "Out Of Eden" as a gift because I was so impressed with "How Long". It sounded like the old Eagles. The single charted before it was released "Only At Wal Mart".

It might be "so so" to you.... To me, it was pop teeny bopper crap, or treehugger garbage, other than the JD Souther song.

No offense California, but I was offended by it. And I killed it.

Best to ya.

Murph.

The Eagles are like a lot of groups from way back in my day, they've become parodies of them selves, an expression i credit to Roseanne Cash when talking about her dad and how in his later years he did not become one. They go out on these tours, playing outdated, recycled old hits on what I like to call "Retro Tours". I liked them back then, they had a good sound and some good songs but that was then, this is now.

The Eagles are not a country band.

You are correct. They are not.

The Eagles are a "Pop" Band. And their last project "sucked"

I agree with you.

...they've become parodies of them selves...

Yes, but their old music was quite good and testament to their unique ability to touch the hearts of many Americans. That's why I'm learning as much of it as I can. Because it's good music.

"Talk about a low-down' date=' bad refrigerator, you were just too cool for school. Sock hops and soda pop the only thing that got you off was breakin' al the rules.

James Dean"[/quote']

:-

Murph.

Yep, I liked the Eagles best when Bernie Leadon was in the band. His Telecaster work just stuck out to me, and I was a fan from his Flying Burrito Brothers days. I also liked the songs by J D Souther as coauthor.

Have tried, but just can't get into their stuff after the first few albums.

Yep' date=' I liked the Eagles best when Bernie Leadon was in the band. His Telecaster work just stuck out to me, and I was a fan from his Flying Burrito Brothers days. I also liked the songs by J D Souther as coauthor.

Have tried, but just can't get into their stuff after the first few albums.[/quote']

The next step back is Gram Parsons, the "Father" of country rock.

The next step back is Gram Parsons' date=' the "Father" of country rock.[/quote']

Gram Parsons. Oh yea....

Jerry Jeff Walker.....

Hans Olsen....

But Homz don't like no country music......

He say's it sucks.......

And, this is HIS forum........

Sorry.

Murph.

Gram Parsons. Oh yea....

Jerry Jeff Walker.....

Hans Olsen....

But Homz don't like no country music......

He say's it sucks.......

And' date=' this is HIS forum........

Sorry.

Murph.

[/quote']

Don't tell him I told you, but Homz *does* like some country music. It's just that most of what he likes falls into the category of "Outlaw Country" not "Modern Country." A few months ago, I even bought him a CD copy of Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison album. And he never complains when I play "Strawberry Wine."

I grew up with country music as the primary influence and I can't stand most of the new stuff these days. But I still love me some Waylon & Willie & the boys.

You know, going back to that original video I posted, I just have to say that the harmonies between the Les Paul and the Telecaster were very complimentary. Who was playing the Tele? Was that Joe Walsh playing the Les Paul? I don't know. I'll be damned if I can tell.

Yep' date=' I liked the Eagles best when Bernie Leadon was in the band. His Telecaster work just stuck out to me, and I was a fan from his Flying Burrito Brothers days. I also liked the songs by J D Souther as coauthor.

Have tried, but just can't get into their stuff after the first few albums.[/quote']

+1

The Eagles were kind of California country music earlier on...I was a big fan of the Eagles until they lost me on The Long Run...hated that whole freakin album :- I saw them in '78 or '79 in Houston at the Summit and they rocked the house! I was backstage and saw them before they went up on stage.

I still listen to some of the old stuff now and then...

Archived