Gibson Brands Forums

US price comparison

longey1

I am not sure if this an appropriate topic or not since I am new here..... I am sure someone will let me know if is not.

Can any of the forum folk in the U.S tell me if the MusiciansFriend website is a good representation of U.S. street price or not ?

thanks

I really wanna go to America someday or to buy from America somehow. All the online sites, Musicians Friend, ZZSounds, Sweetwater etc, all don't ship to Australia.

For a Les Paul Standard we have to pay $4099 AUD which = $3760 USD.

Guitar Center sell the Standard for $2300 USD which = $2507 AUD.

If I bought from America I'd save $1592! You guys are so lucky to be able to buy guitars from there!

I've heard people on the Ultimate Guitar forum saying things like Gibsons are too expensive and PRS's are unaffordable. For the price we'd pay for a Les Paul Standard in Australia, we'd be able to buy a PRS Custom 24 and a half.O:)

Musician's Friend is a fair gauge of prices but they're not usually the cheapest. When I buy music products online, I prefer Sweetwater as they have very competitive prices, free shipping and excellent customer service. For guitar strings, I buy in quantity for a big discount at WebStrings.com - great strings for MUCH less than the name brands.

Thanks RichCI for the Sweetwater tip. They do seem a little cheaper than Musiciansfriend.

Here is a question for all the economists on the forum. From what I have seen on these US onlne

websites, in Hongkong I am paying around 5-10% less than those sites..... how can that be ?

BTW, I am not complaining about it, I am just amazed.

You may be right Speedphantom....perhaps the prices on the US sites include some sort of sales or value add tax or whatever it is called in US.

We dont pay that in Hong Kong. I see your ealier post about high prices in OZ, so sorry to give you the bad news about another country that is cheap to buy guitars. I am from Sydney originally, so I sympathize. Of course things seems to be improving lately for you...with the relatively strong Oz dollar.

I was going to suggest a US buying trip for your Ausi friend, but it would be a lot closer to head over to Hong Kong.

In the past I have heard of people making a trip and buying a guitar and paying for the flight with the savings.

Actually the prices you see online do not have sales tax.

In the US every state has a different tax %, but buying online does not incur taxes unless you happen to live in the state where the online store is based. Does that make sense?

For instance I live in Tennessee, our tax is very high at 9.25% so for me buying online saves me that much. If the store I am buying from was based or had a prescence in Tennessee then I would have to pay the tax.

you "americans" and your low taxes! hahaha here the sales tax was 14% until 2005 when it was cut down to 12%!!! with the lame financial state my country is in' date=' we should have 1% taxes![/quote']

Yow! And I was complaining when New Jersey's state sales tax went from 6% to 7%!

Our sales taxes have actually gone down to 13% From 15. We pay very high income tax as well but we do have univeral health care. My father who is 81 has had two knee replacements done, and a quad bypass with a heart valve heart surgery, and at least 2 months stay in Intensive care, to stabilize him. The cost to him was 0 dollars. All of this in 2 1/2 years.

But that is history.

I want to hear more about the Classic Antique!

In the US every state has a different tax %, but buying online does not incur taxes unless you happen to live in the state where the online store is based. Does that make sense?

Not exactly correct. If the online store has a retail or outlet location in the state you live in, then you pay sales taxes there. To that end, unless you live in Kansas where the warehouse is located, the cost to by from MF will be less than the cost to by from GC online even if prices are the same. MF doesn't have to charge taxes, while GC does since they probably have an outlet in your state. FWIW, I pay 8.25% sales tax here in this part of Texas, but there's no state income tax.

Well I am sorry I started the tax conversation........I have a headache !

It seems the US tax system is very complicated.

I will just be happy with my deal in HK and go back to playing.

thanks for the chat everyone.

you "americans" and your low taxes! hahaha here the sales tax was 14% until 2005 when it was cut down to 12%!!! with the lame financial state my country is in' date=' we should have 1% taxes![/quote']

Want to speak of Italy, where taxes are 20% and street price for a Standard is equivalent of 3,180 USD?

Also note that Italian wages are slightly lower than US average ones...

Archived