Gibson Brands Forums

I haven't picked up a guitar in months.

gearbasher

I remember reading another thread like this a few years back on some other forum. Combined with this one it is amazing how many of us take really long breaks but end up playing again. I played only occasionally for about 15 years while raising my daughter and building a career. Then, like so many others, I rediscovered playing and now play almost daily. After family, music is my main passion now. I have no advice to offer, just confirming that your experience is not unusual. I'll bet the guitar will call you one of these days, though.

I went about 8 years not playing my guitar when I was with a company truck driving. 12 to 15 hours a day 5 days a week and 9 to 10 hours on Saturday. Just no time for it / Now I'm retired and play my Gibson three or more times a day. { Just like Eating } I enjoy every min. / I have some good friends who love to play and sing / So Life is a Joy now for me! God Bless - Paul Dean /#-o

Hey Gearbasher. Fully repaired now I trust.

Most of us have these periods. I went through close to 20 years not playing. I ceased to be a guitarist in my eyes. Got back into it 8 years ago and have not looked back.

A new guitar may help but if my recollection is correct you have some good'uns.

When I go through these periods, be they enforced through holidays or just not having the time, I book myself in for a lesson and off we go again. Whether it's a song, solo or technique, set yourself a target and go for it and this will re-energise your playing.

No-one has to tell you how great it is to nail a song/lick etc but sometimes we all need to be reminded.

So get off that bike, restring your favourite acoustic and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been through spells like that. Mine were only a day or two. TWO MONTHS? Go and see a doctor' date=' you poor soul!!![/quote']

GB do not take this advice!

You have seen enough doctors for now!

And hell if you don't want to play then do not force yoiurself

My mind goes to a "related" saying

"They made it legal not compulsory"

And I do trust that the painting is on canvas not on the kitchen ceiling LOL

All best!

Just got back from a business trip. Didn't take a guitar with me and missed playing every day. This is a man that didn't play but once in a blue moon for twenty years. Now that I have started again I just don't want to stop. Because of my experiences I am sure you will be playing with passion again one of these days.

And I do trust that the painting is on canvas not on the kitchen ceiling LOL

All best!

Jonht,

Unfortunately the painting is my livingroom/dining room walls and ceiling. Got 90% done. Decided to put hardwood floors in. Looks like another week,or so, of work.

Last week, I actually took my J-45RW out of the case. I tuned it. Flat-picked the beginning of "Dueling Banjos" (My version of Ed Norton warming up with "Swanee River", if you know what I mean). Then I turned the TV on and they were showing a stage of the Vuelta...away went the guitar.

Archived