Gibson Brands Forums

Starting Blues

Silenced Fred

Now go hook up with a crazy bad woman so you can get some inspiration' date='

cause then ya really be feelin it, if ya don't end up in prison, although that would be even

more material when you get out. .........j/k[/quote']

That is.... a great idea!! =D>

I will be sure to go work on that today

I was gonna put some money towards a new amp but..... if that will give me more mojo =D>

Thanks to everyone I, personally, enjoy a lot more solo stuff, doesn't have to be acoustic, but a lot of the stuff I listen to is more solo

The old crowd has been well represented, so I'll represent the oft-overlooked new guys (who I find myself listening to more often :-s ):

You mentioned John Mayer, if you like his blues stuff you should check out his work with John Mayer Trio.

Not the JM3, but probably my favorite blues performance of his:

Also, currently blowing my mind is Derek Trucks, he'll make you want to start playing slide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntZ50fEe3Eo

(his wife, Susan Tedeschi, is also my favorite blues vocalist, other than possibly Clapton)

Back Door Slam is also awesome:

The Black Keys

Fred61, find a good compilation disc or box set of Chess recordings from the '50s and early '60s. I've got stuff from everybody from Charley Patton and Son House, through all 3 Kings, to Smokin' Joe Kubek and Keb Mo, but the Chess stuff from their heyday is, I think, the best, basic distillation of what (electric) blues is. Muddy Waters always had great guitarists and was pretty good himself. Howlin' Wolf had Hubert Sumlin, and he is great, but kind of quirky sometimes. Wolf's earlier recordings (most of which eventually became Chess property) with Willie Johnson on guitar are GREAT. Anything on Chess is good. You just can't go wrong with Chess Records.

(And, although not a Chess guy, Magic Sam's stuff from the '50s/'60s on Cobra is really worth a listen, too.)

Fred61' date=' find a good compilation disc or box set of Chess recordings from the '50s and early '60s. I've got stuff from everybody from Charley Patton and Son House, through all 3 Kings, to Smokin' Joe Kubek and Keb Mo, but the Chess stuff from their heyday is, I think, the best, basic distillation of what (electric) blues is. Muddy Waters always had great guitarists and was pretty good himself. Howlin' Wolf had Hubert Sumlin, and he is great, but kind of quirky sometimes. Wolf's earlier recordings (most of which eventually became Chess property) with Willie Johnson on guitar are GREAT. Anything on Chess is good. You just can't go wrong with Chess Records.

(And, although not a Chess guy, Magic Sam's stuff from the '50s/'60s on Cobra is really worth a listen, too.)

[/quote']

I was actually going to look up for a giant mass compilation of various blues artists, but thanks for the idea nontheless, you reminded me of what I forgot

Actually I saw Derek Trucks lead off for Santana I got there a bit late and listened to his last few songs...

I was kcikin myself for not gettin ready earlier.

Wow, tells us more!

I watched Johnny A, as Joe Satriani's support act and was so blown away, I went home and instant fan!

Derek Trucks is someone I have had my eye on for a long while. Guitar Techniques described him controversially as the greatest blues guitarist in the world. I looked him up after that and was overjoyed when he began playing!

Him and John Mayer are two young guys who I am so grateful to have in the world of Blues guitar playing.

Matt

It was april fourth 2007 at the agganis arena.

I was walkin around the part of the arena where you buy hot dogs and such and I look out and I see a guy playin slide with a funky lookin long sleeved collared shirt.

It sounded fantastic but I only got to hear a bit....

Santana brought his nephew out to play (he goes to berklee) and it's safe to say guitar skills run in the family.

great show

Archived