Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Jr Day!

Twiz

The UPS guy just delivered my Valve Jr Thursday. I haven't had a chance to play on it until today. So far it's pretty awesome. First, I just plugged straight into it, and it has a really nice clean tone. It starts to break up with the knob at about 12 o'clock. -A real creamy overdrive. I'm digging it. I'm going to go try it out with some pedals (Boss DS1, Big Muff, some delays, etc). I'm anxious to hear that. I'm not trying to sound like a commercial at all, but if you're looking for a pretty killer low watt amp for less than $300, seriously consider one of these. Okay I'll shut up.

valvejr-1.jpg

I have the head and cab as well, mine is the so-called version 2 so I had to make a few changes. It was a learning experience and it was fun. I have a Hammond output transformer in it and it rocks.

I also added an effects loop, but only the "return" works well, the "send" has the full signal of the pre-amp so it does not work with pedals.

Sometimes I run a BBE Sonic Maximizer in front of it and the sound is even better, more ballsy.

Congrats and enjoy it.

I have the head and cab as well' date=' mine is the so-called version 2 so I had to make a few changes. It was a learning experience and it was fun. I have a Hammond output transformer in it and it rocks.

I also added an effects loop, but only the "return" works well, the "send" has the full signal of the pre-amp so it does not work with pedals.

Sometimes I run a BBE Sonic Maximizer in front of it and the sound is even better, more ballsy.

Congrats and enjoy it.

[/quote']

I found a web site the other day that offers all sorts of mods for this little amp. Everything from giving it a more marshall roar to the chimey vox tones. Although it looked like a lot of swapping of caps and stuff; not just the transformer.

I found a web site the other day that offers all sorts of mods for this little amp. Everything from giving it a more marshall roar to the chimey vox tones. Although it looked like a lot of swapping of caps and stuff; not just the transformer.

Yea' date=' I considered all sorts of mods but I settled on the OT and a few resistors. I ended up using the original transformer of the EVJ in my Fender Cham project.

Here is a pic of my EVJH, (not a very good one by the way)

[img']http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/jorgeasc/Guitars048.jpg[/img]

Yea' date=' I considered all sorts of mods but I settled on the OT and a few resistors. I ended up using the original transformer of the EVJ in my Fender Cham project.

Here is a pic of my EVJH, (not a very good one by the way)

[img']http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/jorgeasc/Guitars048.jpg[/img]

Woa. That's crazy. I just started learning about the mods. I kinda like how it sounds (for now, anyway), but I may try something down the road. I'm kinda nervous that I'll mess something up. I've seen some modified Jr's on YouTube, and they sound killer.

Ps, I'm loving the tone I'm getting with just a regular old DS-1.

Archived