Gibson Brands Forums

Me,

TommyK

Grandson1 is over seas with his mommy and daddy is in Iraq.

GS1 draws grandma and grandpa pictures. GS1 asked if grandma and grandpa could draw pictures of themselves for him.

Here's my pic of me doing my favorite thing:

Grandpasinging29-27-2009114019AM.jpg

It's going in the mail this week.

Hey Tommy, that's really good! I love it. Looks like your Epi, whose name has temporarily escaped me, probably because she's Greek. Anyway, well done. Before you send it, why don't you take a color copy and frame it?

I love the chicken on the back post. Cute!

Hey Tommy' date=' that's really good! I love it. Looks like your Epi, whose name has temporarily escaped me, [b']probably because she's Greek[/b]. Anyway, well done. Before you send it, why don't you take a color copy and frame it?

I love the chicken on the back post. Cute!

What's that post to mean!??!

Tommy wanted to find a name for his Epi and he was trying to remember a female Greek name that he'd heard awhile back. It sounded like Epi.....something-rather. So, he posted a thread asking if anyone knew any female Greek names. I think he finally chose one of them but I can't remember which one.

Tommy wanted to find a name for his Epi and he was trying to remember a female Greek name that he'd heard awhile back. It sounded like Epi.....something-rather. So' date=' he posted a thread asking if anyone knew any female Greek names. I think he finally chose one of them but I can't remember which one.[/quote']

Oh, ya i know about that thread. Sorry i thought you said something bad about greek's. :-s

Don't recall a Greek goddess that starts off Epi.....

Closest are Elpis and Eupheme, and maybe Euporie.

Elpis (daughter of Nyx and Pheme):-

goddess of fame, renown and rumor

Eupheme (daughter of Hephaestus and Aglaia)

spirit of words of good omen, praise, acclaims, shouts of triumph, and applause

Euporie (daughter or grand-daughters of Zeus and Themis)

goddess of abundance

Perhaps he was thinking of one of the Charites - or Three Graces - Euphrosyne

A daughter of Zeus and Eurynome, and the incarnation of grace and beauty.

Also known as the goddess of mirth or the goddess of joy.....

.....kinda nice for a guitar.

Credit:- Larousse's Encyclopedia of Myth and Mythology - it's a book, made of paper!

Thanks for the kudos. The drawing is heavily relying on acoustic music and thought it appropriate on this board.

Epimanondas Stathopoulo's father emigrated from Greece and brought his kraft of violin and / or mandolin making with him. From that was born the company, Epiphone.

I have called my first guit tar Epi for years. At some point, I felt I needed to feminize it as Epi is borrowed from the maker's name Epiphone which is based on a male name.

I had been on the look out for a female Greek name beginning Epi or just Ep. I quizzed the folks here and did some research. One name that came up was Epaphroditos. It is the name of some Greek politician from generations past. It means 'of Aphrodite'. Aphrodite was a greek godess. The name ending in 'os' is masculine. Why you'd name a boy after a greek goddess, is beyond me. I just re- feminized it as Epaphrodite. 'Of Aphrodite', the goddess of love and beauty. The name in and of itself describes my Epi.

The scenery is based upon one of my jammin' venues. There is a chicken, albeit stuffed, on the rail fence post as depicted, and milk can and keg. I added a sheep for GS1. For some unknown reason, this summer, he's been telling his mother he wants a sheep. No, not a Beauty Rest mattress sheep, but a real live, grass eatin', raisin' maikin' sheep.... Not sure why. I think that desire has dissipated, but thought it a bit humorous and would add interest for my grandkids.

My daughter has 2 boys. The younger one isn't drawing for us just yet. He's given to stealing the picture of grandma and grandpa from the living room shelf. My daughter usually finds it hidden under his pillow. She does need a new one, though. as it has been damaged by ... well, let's just say he is almost potty trained.

And, yes, in the interest of being a 'green' drawing #-o by saving pencil lead, I may have shaved a few pounds off'n TommyK. That and Epi hides most of my 'robustness'.

Somehow, his desire to draw for us waned this spring to the point of 'don't wanna do it'. From my discussion with daughter, I deduced he is frustrated by not being able to draw in perfect life-like detail. He is particulary vexed by drawing a 3-D table and chairs. I suspect he wants us grown ups to do some drawings so he can learn from us how it's done. After all that is how kids learn anything. So... In my own pedestrian way I drew to the best of my ability. From that he may be able to glean that you don't have to be digital photograph perfect to draw a likeable picture.

My grandson wanting to learn to play guitar got me started again after a very long spell of not playing. I try to get with him one night a week and play together. I am 56 and he is 13, my wife calls us Geezer and the Geek. The joy of playing together and teaching him had made me work very hard to become proficient at both acoustic and electric again.

Enjoy those grandchildren and teach them everything they need to know, especially how to play guitar.

I gave him his first guit tar.. a cheapy... a toy really, but it looks like grandpas.

He used to stand in front of me while I played. He would strum the area between my pickin' and frettin'... not a bad accopaniment, actually. He eventually got his own pick. Which he took great delite in dropping into the sound hole ... #-o. :)

He did learn from this not to 'shred' so to speak, but to play nice. :)

He used to stand in front of me while I played. He would strum the area between my pickin' and frettin'... not a bad accopaniment' date=' actually. He eventually got his own pick. Which he took great delite in dropping into the sound hole ... #-o. :)

[/quote']

My 2 yr old boy does exactly that! Whenever I start to play I have to make shure I have a load of picks ready, otherwise he tries to nick mine!

He loves the guitar though.... long may it last.

All the best, Matt

Archived